04-11-2013, 04:18 AM
User Info
About eight months ago I was lucky enough to get one of the limited edition brush from Semogue; just one hundred of the beauties was made for The Shave Nook.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=4788]
[Image: attachment.php?aid=4789]

It have become one of my most treasured brushes - along with my Vie Long 14033 mixed badger/horse - and yet somehow I have not yet written a review for it... well, consider that fixed at least.

The TSN '12 LE is a wonderful brush; it has just the right mix of backbone and softness to make it great for both face and bowl lathering, good flow, great handle and it holds enough lather to do three passes with ease. It's also rock solid - to my knowledge it hasn't lost a single hair yet, despite being used one to two times a week since I bought it. With a bit of proper care it should last longer than me, which means whoever gets to clean up after me can put it up for sale in fifty years time...

The knot is about 22mm wide with a 55mm or so loft, and is a 50/50 mix of boar and badger. For me - who isn't all that much into badger - it served as a beautiful introduction to badger hairs... to the point where I can both see what all the fuss is about and realize that for me it's not worth bothering putting down a large wad of money on a pure badger brush. Your Milage May Vary off course, but I prefer a bit of springiness and scritch.

The TSN '12 LE is also very quick at picking up soap, making it the only brush I own that is liable to be overloaded - something to keep in mind since my favorite lathering bowl isn't that large. It works just as well when face lathering, but since I only face lather when using a shave stick the risk of overloading is non-existent.

While the majority of the brushes ended up with regulars on The Shave Nook, it was also picked up by members on other forums. If you spot one for sale it's definitely worth picking it up... if not, you'll just have to do what I am doing now; wait for the 2013 LE brush.

3 3,580
 04-11-2013, 04:31 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Thank-you for the review Hans, I certainly treasure mine too!

91 17,868
 04-11-2013, 08:25 AM
User Info
Nice review. I love mine.

I don't think it is 50/50 badger boar though. It looks like its more boar than badger I'd say.

7 1,179
 04-11-2013, 08:38 AM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
Thanks for the review. If you forced me to pick one brush it would probably be this. It is such a great brush.

45 3,955
 04-11-2013, 11:23 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Thanks for the review Hans. I agree with you 100%. I would not sell mine for three times what they originally cost.

173 23,548
 04-12-2013, 08:43 AM
User Info
I want one - please make a Shave Nook 2013 edition ASAP Hello

22 5,064
 04-12-2013, 09:07 AM
User Info
Agreed, great brush and great review!

It's cousin, the Il Rasoio, is also great - same knot, different (and better IMHO) handle. If you have the opportunity to pick one up, get one.

12 1,243
 04-12-2013, 09:34 AM
  • MikeGJ
  • Grand Junction, CO
User Info
I love mine, but I love its bigger cousin, the Semogue 2012 SE, even more.

The SE has a larger (24mm) mixed knot, and a larger handle, as well.

1 108