04-11-2013, 07:55 AM
User Info
Ok, I've got the obvious (to me anyway) stuff taken care of. My liquids (AS & cologne) will be in small bottles and all in a clear ziplock bag (1 qt or less). I even mailed a Pella PTFE SE blade to the hotel I'm staying at. My user grade OCMM will be making the trip and while it may cause me a slight hold up as the TSA will most likely want to inspect it, I am sure it is well worth it.

What I'm not sure about is how TSA will react to a soft shave soap. It's not a cream or liquid so it shouldn't have a size limit. However, these soft soaps could be mistaken as a way to disguise explosive material. Has anyone had any trouble while flying with their softer soaps?

I'm contemplating a few different soaps to take with me. Ideally I'd like to take my MdC, but think it would be best to leave it at home so that I don't risk any breakage or confiscation. My next two options would be some P.160 pressed into an XS Ziploc container or a tub of RazoRock La Famiglia soap. Heck, since they are small enough I may end up taking both. Again, however, I hesitate at the potential to have them confiscate my P.160 so I may only take a couple different LaFam scents.

So where are you my fellow Nook-ers that fly regularly and have some experience and knowledge to share with me? Thanks in advance. Thumbup

31 7,912
 04-11-2013, 01:20 PM
User Info
What a shame you don't have remnants in a container. I wouldn't want to lose an almost full container of MdC either, OUCH!

Next time mail the MdC ahead as well? That doesn't help this time though.

Brian, you don't have any soap sample containers? A small sample container will hold enough MdC or P.160 for many shaves and they can be liquified in water overnight so that they're ready for lathering in the morning.

32 6,308
 04-11-2013, 01:24 PM
  • Tonality
  • Attempted Soap Sabbatical
  • Boston
User Info
I'm taking some shave sticks with me on my trip. I've never packed soaps in a carry-on before, so I'm not sure what to say. I really don't see them having a problem with it.

On the razor, only once have I had someone check my bag to inspect the strange metal device. It seems most TSA agents are aware of the existence of safety razors and can identify them.

35 1,732
 04-12-2013, 09:44 AM
User Info
I travel with a safety razor and blade separated. As for soap, I take along my TOBS St James Shave Stick. I also take my QCS aftershave balm. It's 1oz, and travels very nicely.

67 349
 04-12-2013, 09:51 AM
User Info
Well I did get my bag searched. They were obviously scared, & rightfully so, of my OCMM. They didn't bat an eye at my two La Famiglia soaps (Zi' Peppino & Cumba Cheech for those keeping score). As the TSA agent was about to start searching (he was extremely nice & courteous by the way) I told him that I had a safety razor in there but no blades. I also mentioned that inside the tube was a shave brush. He seemed appreciative for my foreknowledge. As he was holding the OCMM I told him to be careful as it's a mean blood thirsty piece of kit. Ok, maybe I didn't say it but I did think it'd be funny, at least until they carted me off to airport jail. Seriously though, he started asking me about it & why I use it. He appeared genuinely interested. While I didn't get to point him towards the Nook, I do hope that he is a Google Ninja & finds his way here.

31 7,912
 04-12-2013, 12:03 PM
  • CRAusmus
  • Going from Texas to Georgia
User Info
I plan to carry a shave stick with me this summer. And until I can find one I'm willing to lose if need be, I'll just carry one of the Bic Sensitives instead of one of my DEs. I had thought that a Injector might travel well though. Anyone ever traveled with a loaded Injector?

14 1,177
 04-12-2013, 02:33 PM
User Info
(04-12-2013, 09:51 AM)SharpSpine Wrote: Well I did get my bag searched. They were obviously scared, & rightfully so, of my OCMM. They didn't bat an eye at my two La Famiglia soaps (Zi' Peppino & Cumba Cheech for those keeping score). As the TSA agent was about to start searching (he was extremely nice & courteous by the way) I told him that I had a safety razor in there but no blades. I also mentioned that inside the tube was a shave brush. He seemed appreciative for my foreknowledge. As he was holding the OCMM I told him to be careful as it's a mean blood thirsty piece of kit. Ok, maybe I didn't say it but I did think it'd be funny, at least until they carted me off to airport jail. Seriously though, he started asking me about it & why I use it. He appeared genuinely interested. While I didn't get to point him towards the Nook, I do hope that he is a Google Ninja & finds his way here.

Hi Brian,

Thanks for the report back. Good info, and a funny story, to boot. Smile

I'm not familiar with the Shaving Soaps you mentioned. So are they soft Shaving Soaps like MdC?

Does that mean Shaving Soaps are safe to carry on?

Thanks~

(04-12-2013, 09:44 AM)Silence! Wrote: I travel with a safety razor and blade separated. As for soap, I take along my TOBS St James Shave Stick. I also take my QCS aftershave balm. It's 1oz, and travels very nicely.

Hi Silence,

Oh wow. You carry-on your Safety Razor and Blades (separated), and have no issues?

I still think I'd better mail my Blades to my hotel (like Brian did (great idea)), or source some local ones in the town I visit.

3 270
 04-12-2013, 03:41 PM
User Info
The La Famiglia soaps are the RazoRock branded TFS soaps. They are a soft soap along the lines of Proraso, Cella, P.160.

31 7,912
 04-13-2013, 07:46 AM
  • vuk
  • Virginia
User Info
(04-12-2013, 09:51 AM)SharpSpine Wrote: Well I did get my bag searched. They were obviously scared, & rightfully so, of my OCMM. They didn't bat an eye at my two La Famiglia soaps (Zi' Peppino & Cumba Cheech for those keeping score). As the TSA agent was about to start searching (he was extremely nice & courteous by the way) I told him that I had a safety razor in there but no blades. I also mentioned that inside the tube was a shave brush. He seemed appreciative for my foreknowledge. As he was holding the OCMM I told him to be careful as it's a mean blood thirsty piece of kit. Ok, maybe I didn't say it but I did think it'd be funny, at least until they carted me off to airport jail. Seriously though, he started asking me about it & why I use it. He appeared genuinely interested. While I didn't get to point him towards the Nook, I do hope that he is a Google Ninja & finds his way here.

I had a similar experiance about a year ago. My superspeed was taken out of my carry-on bag (no blades of course) then put in a plastic tray and run thought the x-ray machine by its lonesome. I opened it up and explained a what it was. I had traveled with a shave stick, although I can't recall which one, and didn't have any issues with it. I didn't have any problems at Dulles so I guess it depends on the airport, larger ones are probably more used to seeing them.

2 501
 04-13-2013, 09:22 AM
  • Fab
  • New York, NY
User Info
I fly a lot, and to be honest I'm too scared of losing any of favorite gear. So basically I don't take any of my top stuff with me just for the sake of not having to have an argument with TSA (Never goes well) and risk starting my trip on a bad note. Also less stressful.
This is what I carry :

Feather Popular DE
Shaving soap Stick (Could be any brand)
small container of aftershave (you can easily find these in travel size sections at major stores)
Small brush

And buy the blades at a local store or mail like many already mentioned.

10 486