04-11-2013, 02:32 PM
  • Attila
  • The Hungarian Blade
  • Vancouver, Canada
User Info
I recently had the good fortune of acquiring Brian Krampert's new "Frostbite" or perhaps more precisely, called "Test bottle b" mentholated aftershave. I used it last night when I shaved my head and my face and I thought I would let you all know my thoughts!

First of all, I love mentholated aftershave products. I have tried many, many versions on the market. If you don't like mentholated products, feel free to stop reading at this point. Likely you wouldn't be interested in this one... If you are a fan of QCS Vostok, Osage Rub, Floid Vigoroso, Proraso Aftershave splash or the likes then read on!

My first word would be...Wow! WOW!! Talk about face freezing madness! If Brian were trying to outdo Osage Rub then success was definitely achieved! I hear he has never tried "The Rub" though. This product is like if Osage Rub was put on a suicidal regimen of steroids and then worked out like a madman for 10 years. It would be like comparing a state champion in weightlifting to the world record holder! The moisturizing properties of Krampert's is in a different league entirely though. Osage always dries my face out.

When I first put it on I thought hmmm...strong menthol scent, kind of medicine like. Definitely not as yummy as the "Finest" on the face initially. Then bam!! The face freezing started and the menthol rush hit. Then it built and built and built for at least 5 minutes after application! My eyes started watering and then kept watering for about 10 minutes after I put it on or so! All the while the freeze persisted! In a big way. Usually Osage Rub will build up quickly and then subside in a minute or two. This persisted in the freezing feeling for a good 15-20 minutes afterwards at least. Unreal!

After about 20 minutes I was left with a different kind of scent than menthol being noticed...some testers have already alluded to it and I don't want to over emphasize it. The scent was nice but subtle. Of course, to me, the scent of his "Finest Bay Rum" still reigns supreme but I think the Frostbite is a different product entirely and a whole different experience.

At first I wasn't sure if the menthol in it might be too much, but it really grew on me to the degree that at one point when the freeze was building and my eyes were watering I actually laughed out loud in delight at how cold my face felt! It was that fun to use.

I wouldn't change a thing about the formula if I was Brian except maybe give it a stronger staying power after the menthol is gone. But that is only my oppinion and not necessary to the performance overall. The moisturizing capabilities are great. I'm still blown away by how moisturizing the Krampert aftershaves are. They moisturize my face all day and yet have great astringent properties.

I will definitely try to always have a bottle of this Frostbite alongside the Finest Bay Rum in my den. These days, the Finest Bay Rum is what I am using most often after a shave. Even on days I don't shave. But this Frostbite is a unique experience to say the least. All natural ingredients with none of the chemical nasties that many other products seem to like using. If you like mentholated products, you owe it to yourself to try this one once it is available.

Highly recommended!! Thumbsup

14 870
 04-11-2013, 07:10 PM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
I'm not sure how your test bottle compares to the LE run of "80 Below" he did. I was lucky enough to get a bottle and I love it. Same Krampert's Bay Rum Scent and great skin properties with a huge menthol blast.

45 3,955
 04-11-2013, 07:16 PM
User Info
(04-11-2013, 07:10 PM)tgutc Wrote: I'm not sure how your test bottle compares to the LE run of "80 Below" he did. I was lucky enough to get a bottle and I love it. Same Krampert's Bay Rum Scent and great skin properties with a huge menthol blast.

The 80 Below is not a Bay Rum scent AFAIK.

Moisturizing package is the same I think. The new menthol testers are slightly different.

31 7,914
 04-11-2013, 07:57 PM
User Info
Unfortunately I'll never be able to duplicate the 80 Below. I had 2 suppliers of raw materials go belly up on me after I formulating my first menthol. I had a sort of final version, discovered I couldn't make a production run, so I said, what the heck, use it up and make something with a jolt I really liked! Hence the LE was born. It was the production version on steroids. After using it I decided I wouldn't make the wimpy version, just go for the gusto.

I started all over again for the latest version, with much different materials. OK, 80 Below doesn't have Frankincense either, the new formulation has it in quantity. Yes, moisturizing package is the same except for the Frankincense. There is no Bay at all in the menthol. I did try it but IMO the scents conflict.

Thanks for the nice words Attila. Biggrin Glad you like it! I don't know if the sender included instructions, but be sure you shake it before each use. It will separate out, so shake it immediately before use to get the right mix. It should go on dry skin too. Moist skin isn't good to put it on as some of my testers told me. The EOs just don't play nicely with moist skin.

I'm curious, what razor did you use it after? It's a theory of mine that an aggressive shave yields the biggest face freeze. I love the eye watering cold too BTW. Oddly enough I get it after it has dried on the skin. I find that as the chill is building I don't get the eye watering. I think I know why, but there's no way I can prove it.

32 6,311
 04-11-2013, 10:33 PM
  • Attila
  • The Hungarian Blade
  • Vancouver, Canada
User Info
The nice words were deserved, believe me!

I make a point of always shaking your aftershaves before use Brian. Thanks for the reminder though!

As far as what razor I used. It was my Merkur Futur, dialed up to 3.5. Which is plenty aggressive for me! I actually think a 2 or 2.5 is more my comfort zone. I did use the Frostbite after a 3 pass shave with a BBS result, thats for sure.

14 870
 04-11-2013, 10:53 PM
User Info
I have to agree with Brian - aggressive razors gives the 'best' freeze when using mentholated soaps and aftershaves.

I'm curious how the new Frostbite stacks up against both the Prototype Menthol and the 80 Below... stronger, weaker, in between? Inquiring minds needs to know... and also need to know when I can send my money Tongue

3 3,580
 04-12-2013, 10:56 AM
User Info
(04-11-2013, 10:53 PM)WegianWarrior Wrote: I have to agree with Brian - aggressive razors gives the 'best' freeze when using mentholated soaps and aftershaves.

I'm curious how the new Frostbite stacks up against both the Prototype Menthol and the 80 Below... stronger, weaker, in between? Inquiring minds needs to know... and also need to know when I can send my money Tongue

Hi WegianWarrior,

Wow, there are *3* Menthol style Aftershaves from Krampert's? (Prototype, 80 Below and Frostbite?)

I feel so left out! I need to try this. Smile

3 270
 04-12-2013, 11:54 AM
User Info
Ken, well, yes and no. I suspect the prototype Hans is referring to would be something that was in testing. The 80 Below was a LE of 20 bottles and was sold maybe a year ago, that's just a guess as to the time.

The Frostbite will be a standard production item. It should be available in a few weeks to a month.

32 6,311
 04-12-2013, 12:10 PM
User Info
The small bottle with the prototype made it's way to me last June, and two bottles of the 80 Below came to my den last September... and now I probably have to get the Frostbite too Tongue

Did I mention that I like Kreampert's Finest aftershaves? The Bay Rum in particular, but the menthols are damn nice too Biggrin

3 3,580
 04-12-2013, 02:41 PM
User Info
(04-12-2013, 11:54 AM)ShadowsDad Wrote: The Frostbite will be a standard production item. It should be available in a few weeks to a month.

Very nice! I can't wait! Smile

3 270
 04-13-2013, 10:13 AM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
(04-11-2013, 07:16 PM)SharpSpine Wrote:
(04-11-2013, 07:10 PM)tgutc Wrote: I'm not sure how your test bottle compares to the LE run of "80 Below" he did. I was lucky enough to get a bottle and I love it. Same Krampert's Bay Rum Scent and great skin properties with a huge menthol blast.

The 80 Below is not a Bay Rum scent AFAIK.

Moisturizing package is the same I think. The new menthol testers are slightly different.

So what is the scent of the 80 Below? I purchased the Bay Rum and 80 Below together and gave the Bay Rum to my dad because I though they were so similar. I'm surprised to hear they are different scents.

45 3,955
 04-28-2013, 05:21 PM
User Info
Sounds like just what Ive been looking for cant wait to try it!!!!!!!

0 1
 04-28-2013, 05:51 PM
User Info
HMMMM I wonder if it will be available in that classy looking flask? Or in a half gallon whiskey jug for those of us that really like it Biggrin

6 1,224
 04-28-2013, 06:22 PM
User Info
I'm not 100% on this but I think I remember reading something that hinted at a flask. Confusedherlock:

31 7,914
 04-28-2013, 07:34 PM
  • savagejoerude
  • If you ain't a LOSER, you ain't livin'!!
  • New Orleans USA
User Info
Something like THIS :

[Image: 30t2y36.jpg]

My old jug from when I lived in Tennessee. Man I'm glad that jug can't talk....lol It kicked my ass on more than a couple occasions......

5 1,151
 04-28-2013, 10:24 PM
User Info
Biggrin SJR, the Frostbite! might also. It's pretty rugged as far as the cooling. I love it! No hangover with it though.

I anxiously await the last thing holding up it's release... the label. Maybe I need to relearn Photoshop and do it myself. I only wish I had the time.

Yes, a flask is definitely planned.

32 6,311
 04-29-2013, 04:11 PM
User Info
(04-28-2013, 07:34 PM)savagejoerude Wrote: Something like THIS :

[Image: 30t2y36.jpg]

My old jug from when I lived in Tennessee. Man I'm glad that jug can't talk....lol It kicked my ass on more than a couple occasions......

Small world Sav! This jar is from Tennessee too. Biggrin
[Image: 4pBfcTG.jpg]

Thanks for the update on the schedule Brian ! And including this in a flask!!!

6 1,224
 05-02-2013, 02:41 PM
User Info
Unless the designer has an inspiration, the label is settled on. An order for one test flask has been placed to check the engraving, so it's getting closer to release.

Don't look for it on my website initially, look to the retailers to have it first. I'll be sure to announce it a few days after I've sent it out. In the meantime they should receive their production samples sometime next week. One forum member will also be receiving one about the same time.

32 6,311
 05-02-2013, 07:04 PM
User Info
(05-02-2013, 02:41 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: Unless the designer has an inspiration, the label is settled on. An order for one test flask has been placed to check the engraving, so it's getting closer to release.

Don't look for it on my website initially, look to the retailers to have it first. I'll be sure to announce it a few days after I've sent it out. In the meantime they should receive their production samples sometime next week. One forum member will also be receiving one about the same time.

Thank you Brian. I would have been looking in the wrong place!

May the new endeavor be successful!!!!

6 1,224
 05-02-2013, 08:21 PM
User Info
(05-02-2013, 07:04 PM)Nickadermis Wrote:
(05-02-2013, 02:41 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: Unless the designer has an inspiration, the label is settled on. An order for one test flask has been placed to check the engraving, so it's getting closer to release.

Thank you Brian. I would have been looking in the wrong place!

May the new endeavor be successful!!!!

Look for the announcement in "Artisan Corner". Maybe I'll link to it here since this is where the discussion is.

32 6,311