04-12-2013, 08:16 AM
  • RedRocks
  • Four-Corners, USA
User Info
There’s a discussion on another board, and I just found one here (swirl/paint), about using too much pressure on your brush resulting in broken hairs & hollowing out the middle of the brush.

I recognized this as a problem I am having with my 40 year old EverReady boar. Seems that I am really bearing down on the brush in the mug and doing some serious damage to the brush. I really thought it was the bursh’s fault & was getting ready to retire it when I read these threads. I lightened up considerably on my mug lathering technique and it has made all the difference in the world, AND my favorite brush is still my favorite, and is no longer in danger of retirement.

This got me to thinking about my shaving technique. I’ve not been real happy with some of my more recent shaves, oh say the last few months. They certainly have not been as comfortable as they were when I first started. Back when I re-discovered DE shaving (about a year ago) I was quite careful, and used a very light touch & got fantastic results!

I was watching my technique very closely in the mirror the other day & noticed that, like the brush, I was applying way too much pressure with the razor. I immediately stopped what I was doing, cleaned up & walked away in the middle of my shave!

I thought about it overnight & decided to give it another try the next morning. I loaded up a new SI in my Slim, & cranked it up from 2 to 5. I applied lather using my newly-acquired lighter brush skills, & began the shave. I got through the first pass using as little pressure as possible while still keeping the razor against my face. “Hey, not bad,” says I. Pretty close shave. Rinse, lather, repeat for pass two. Holy smokes – best shave I’ve had in months! As an added bonus, not a nick or a weeper!

As Sergeant Hulka said in Stripes, “Lighten up, Francis.”

So now that I’m relearning how to lather & shave, I may have to go back to some of the brushes & razors that were giving me trouble & see if they’re working any better now!

~Frank

18 271
 04-12-2013, 08:31 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
It is amazing what we forget or take for granted sometimes. I have to remind myself of that a couple of times each year. If I see blood or the after shave sets me on fire, I know I've done something wrong and am getting away from good habits.

173 23,500
 04-12-2013, 08:34 AM
User Info
That's one of the great things about this forum. There are always needed reminders like this popping up for me.

183 12,002
 04-12-2013, 09:21 AM
  • EHV
  • Milford,PA
User Info
Sgt. Hulka's gonna shove his big toe up....Biggrin !!!

Seriously, I went through the same thing a couple of months ago with my razor pressure and thankfully came to the same conclusion as you did.

Adding to that, I have to now take a platelet inhibitor and high dose aspirin after the recent insertion of coronary artery stents so aside from the irritation, my shaves were a blood bath.

Welcome back to the light Francis. It's nice to see you here. Smile

6 905
 04-12-2013, 04:36 PM
User Info
Great to hear, Frank! Enjoy your "new" shaves!

75 20,883
 04-12-2013, 06:59 PM
User Info
I really needed to stumble across this. It brings back some helpful tips that I will have to re visit.

2 396
 04-16-2013, 07:37 AM
User Info
I still occasionally lapse into using too much pressure, but the alum block always punishes me and reminds me to take more care next shave.

0 123
 04-16-2013, 09:37 AM
  • RedRocks
  • Four-Corners, USA
User Info
This has really required more concentration, but the payoff has been much better shaving!

(04-12-2013, 09:21 AM)EHV Wrote: ... I have to now take a platelet inhibitor and high dose aspirin after the recent insertion of coronary artery stents so aside from the irritation, my shaves were a blood bath ...

I went through that about 10 years ago. They put me on the rat poison for 90 days so I can certainly relate to the blood baths.

~Frank

18 271
 04-17-2013, 07:52 AM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
I don't know if it was my extra attention to detail in technique this morning or switching over to TOBS shave cream, but I just managed a BBS with very little irritation on day 8 of a Feather blade. Thanks for starting this thread Frank, it is good to have a reminder every once in a while.

127 2,375
 04-20-2013, 07:01 AM
User Info
As a DE noob, it's good to read something like this as it makes me realize how important it is to develop good shaving habits NOW!

Thanks,

Jason

2 106