04-12-2013, 10:30 AM
User Info
my buddy recently mentioned to me that he uses a mix of different oils to wash his face before applying his lather rather than using soap as it's better at cleaning the face and keeping it hydrated.

he mentioned a mix of 50% castor oil and usually goes with 25% jojoba oil and 25% grapeseed oil.

does anyone else do this? how has it worked for you?

40 5,830
 04-12-2013, 10:38 AM
User Info
Wow, that seems like quite a bit of work!
i just splash a bit of cold water on and start face-lathering. Good luck, Andrew.

75 20,883
 04-12-2013, 10:38 AM
  • Songwind
  • Soap Slinger & Scuttle Pusher
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
My wife and a couple of her friends have done the oil face cleansing, and said it worked well.

I haven't tried it as a preshave wash, though I think it would probably have the same effect, all told, as using a preshave oil. At least as far as razor performance goes.

The worry I would have is creating a water barrier on the hair. When I used a preshave oil, I personally noticed good glide, but tougher hair - which makes sense to me. The oil coating the hairs would prevent as much water from getting into them, wouldn't it?

10 1,858
 04-12-2013, 12:01 PM
User Info
(04-12-2013, 10:38 AM)Songwind Wrote: My wife and a couple of her friends have done the oil face cleansing, and said it worked well.

I haven't tried it as a preshave wash, though I think it would probably have the same effect, all told, as using a preshave oil. At least as far as razor performance goes.

The worry I would have is creating a water barrier on the hair. When I used a preshave oil, I personally noticed good glide, but tougher hair - which makes sense to me. The oil coating the hairs would prevent as much water from getting into them, wouldn't it?

I would use this to wash my face before applying lather. with pre-shave oils, you usually leave it on.

40 5,830
 04-13-2013, 01:41 AM
User Info
i've started shaving quick-style with great success:

- quick splash with cold water
- quick massage in the shaving soap briskly atg (ultralather)
- quick get rid of soap with wetted fingers (cold water)
- quick reapply shaving soap gently (ultralather) and shave wtg
- quick rinse with wetted fingers (cold water)
- quick reapply shaving soap gently (ultralather) and shave wtg
- quick rinse with wetted fingers (cold water)
- quick reapply shaving soap gently (ultralather) and shave/touch-up wtg
- quick rinse with cold water
- pat dry
- apply aftershave & let dry
- apply shea butter or other moisturizer

i use mainly mdc - joris - polsilver/iridium (any kind) - alt-innsbruck - shea butter or dr hauschka. swirl on soap - paint on face + i have extremely hard water. shaving angle very steep (handle almost parallel to face). shave monday - wednesday - friday.

7 1,625
 04-13-2013, 04:57 AM
  • RobE
  • NY USA
User Info
Pre shave cleansing? None of the above. Better to use a light water soluble moisturizing oil (like Alpha Keri Bath Oil) as a pre-shave (not a cleanser) rather than any of those mentioned. Castor, Jojoba, and Grape Seed oils all have some great properties vis a vis health and skin care. Best to read and understand their individual benefits first... and if at all used for moisturizing or general skin care, post shave would be the better time to apply.

17 290