04-12-2013, 11:23 AM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
Thank to Teiste for sending these two shaving brushes to me to experience, try.

You can read Teiste's review of the DR Harris H1 here and the DR Harris H2 here.

Additionally, if interested you can read my review of the DR Harris H3 here.

I used both shaving brushes five times each -- two times each with a "soft" shaving soap and three times each with shaving creams.

I didn't use a "hard" shaving soap with these brushes, please don't take that as a negative reflection of the brushes, as I'm one hundred percent certain they wouldn't experience any kind of problems dealing with such shaving soaps. I simply don't wish to use "hard" shaving soaps at this time.

DR Harris H1: Height: 85mm / Loft: 46mm / Base: 39mm / Knot: 23mm

[Image: 6Ukd0y5.jpg]

DR Harris H1 Best Badger - imitation Ivory

[Image: 7lCH2oK.jpg]

[Image: Nb3Gu7L.jpg]

Handle height may be a little bit on the small size (for some people), but the classically elegant "dumpy" shape and (nice) girth make it comfortable and easy to hold.

As Teiste said in his reviews, I have zero idea why the knot is labeled "Best Badger", the badger hair is "Silvertip" (IMHO). Knot clearly shows three distinct colour bands, individual hairs are fine and flexible, with velvety soft tips. Knot density is on the higher side of the scale.

Considering the make up of the knot it shouldn't come as a surprise the knot doesn't have a tonne of backbone, but on the other hand it's far from being a floppy mop. Where this knot shines is on flow through, which is excellent!

I feel zero scritch or scratch when painting strokes are employed and the fainest amount of scritch comes through when circular motions are used.

The DR Harris H1 is a very! nice face lathering shaving brush.

DR Harris H2: Height: 97mm / Loft: 50mm / Base: 47mm / Knot: 24mm

[Image: MmJZDIi.jpg]

DR Harris H2 Best Badger - imitation Ivory

[Image: WjMorWB.jpg]

[Image: jRIeraI.jpg]

Handle has a classically elegant "dumpy" shape and (nice) girth, making it extremely comfortable and easy to hold. I'm not a bowl or scuttle latherer, that said, I can't imagine the overall size of this handle being (too much) a problem for such users.

As Teiste said in his reviews, I have zero idea why the knot is labeled "Best Badger", the badger hair is "Silvertip" (IMHO). Knot clearly shows three distinct colour bands, individual hairs are fine and flexible, with velvety soft tips. Knot density is on the higher side of the scale.

Considering the make up of the knot it shouldn't come as a surprise the knot doesn't have a tonne of backbone (it does have a little more than the H1), but on the other hand it's far from being a floppy mop. Just like the H1, where this knot shines is on flow through, which is excellent! Also the H2 knot holds an almost ridiculous amount of lather.

I feel zero scritch or scratch when painting strokes are employed and the tinniest amount of scritch comes through when circular motions are used.

The DR Harris H2 is a very! nice all round shaving brush. Highly! recommended.

[Image: ksL9KPQ.jpg]

(Left to Right) DR Harris H1, DR Harris H2, DR Harris H3

[Image: GJSXQH8.jpg]

[Image: HCsAV0o.jpg]

[Image: hD5HS7o.jpg]

(Left to Right) DR Harris H1, DR Harris H3, DR Harris H2

I can honestly say, I would recommend any of the DR Harris Hx series shaving brushes. Which one? Would depend on what a person was after eg

DR Harris H1 -- 100% face latherer.

DR Harris H2 -- Excellent all rounder.

DR Harris H3 -- Excellent all rounder with a more luxurious feeling due to its larger knot size.

23 1,872
 04-12-2013, 11:55 AM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
Nice review thank you. There is just something about the look of these brushes that appeals to me. There very classy. Thanks for posting the sizes. If I was choosing one it would probably be the H2.

45 3,955
 04-12-2013, 01:19 PM
User Info
Thanks for posting a wonderful review of the D.R.H brushes! They do look classy and appear to be excellent performers.

63 2,128
 04-12-2013, 09:46 PM
User Info
Wonderful review Mike Smile Thanks!

7 128
 04-12-2013, 10:36 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Thank-you for the great review Mike. It's fantastic to see all 3 sizes together!

91 17,821
 04-13-2013, 11:31 PM
User Info
Great review :-)
Which retailer carries these brushes?

6 808
 04-14-2013, 04:04 AM
User Info
Sounds like a nice brush, Mike. I like the handle and have just recently found that not a lot of backbone is not such a bad thing. Even on hard soaps. The H2 sounds nice.

I could only find these available at the D R Harris shop

31 1,800
 04-14-2013, 04:13 AM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
Great review and pictures Mike.

100 12,438
 04-14-2013, 07:14 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Nice review and pictures Mike. Now let me tell you a sad story. I sold both of those brushes to Teiste and to this day I kick myself in the butt for doing so. They are both great brushes and since I now 90% face lather, they would fit in just fine with all my boars. You win some, you lose some, and I lost when I sold those two.

173 23,499
 04-14-2013, 10:09 AM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Thanks for the review , Mike.We both agree about these shaving brushes , and yes , they're that good.

(04-14-2013, 07:14 AM)Johnny Wrote: Nice review and pictures Mike. Now let me tell you a sad story. I sold both of those brushes to Teiste and to this day I kick myself in the butt for doing so. They are both great brushes and since I now 90% face lather, they would fit in just fine with all my boars. You win some, you lose some, and I lost when I sold those two.

I sometimes wonder why did you sell me those brushes.Well , you know how easy I am to negotiate with , so drop me a pm , and the brushes will be heading back your way.I totally understand that you miss them , they're excellent Simpson made brushes.

86 7,123
 04-14-2013, 10:22 AM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
It is interesting that you guys refer to this hair as silvertip and yet they offer a similar style brush advertised as silvertip hair (E1-E3) http://www.drharris.co.uk/accessories/d-...---e-range

127 2,375
 04-15-2013, 11:00 AM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
Gents, thank you for the kind words Smile

(04-14-2013, 07:14 AM)Johnny Wrote: Now let me tell you a sad story. I sold both of those brushes to Teiste and to this day I kick myself in the butt for doing so. They are both great brushes and since I now 90% face lather, they would fit in just fine with all my boars. You win some, you lose some, and I lost when I sold those two.

Seriously, Johnny that is a very! sad story, but we learn from our mistakes and it also goes to show how much you must love your piggies SmiliePig

(04-14-2013, 10:22 AM)blzrfn Wrote: It is interesting that you guys refer to this hair as silvertip and yet they offer a similar style brush advertised as silvertip hair (E1-E3) http://www.drharris.co.uk/accessories/d-...---e-range

Dave, purely speculation on my part, the DR Harris (labeled) Hx series is made by one company for DR Harris and the DR Harris (labeled) Ex series is made by another company...

If I had to guess, I'd say the DR Harris (labeled) Ex series shaving brushes are made by Edwin Jagger, see here...

23 1,872