04-20-2013, 02:24 PM
User Info
well - i asked my dear mum regarding the meat grinder - she has most experience with this machine.

she says:
"the meat grinder is fantastic - with that one i have grinded mounds of elks. you can put into it just everything (but the better fillets!). i have saved thousands of dollars by grinding almost all meat myself contra delivering it to professionals - like most of my friends did.

i purchased my electrolux assistent (orange and dark brown) at the famous electrolux circular built main store in stockholm/sweden - and it works perfect to this day - after 37 years of regular use!! i do have made sausages with it - once upon a time - but it is 1000 years ago so i don't remember how it worked out - but i'm certain it was a smooth operation."

so - Brian - good attest ain't it Wink

ps: those breads looks yummy! never used glass (pyrex?) but i have 3 outstanding bread-baking forms from austrian riess

7 1,624
 04-23-2013, 08:27 PM
  • OldDog23
  • BeanTown MetroWest
User Info
oooohhh...hot-buttered fresh bread...and a bowl of soup !
how's about some Scandinavian Black Bread to whip up some Hot Pastrami sandwiches ? Hambre

0 1,291
 04-23-2013, 09:20 PM
User Info
Scandinavian Black Bread, I'll need to google it.

I love fresh bread, buttered, with homemade soup. Definitely a comfort food for me. It's peasant food, but I'm of peasant stock and some of the best food we know of today derives from peasant food.

BTW, I've been making our sandwich bread and english muffins (our 2 staple breadstuffs) for a few years now and those loaves, the wife and I both agree, are the best yet. It's so easy to make it's almost embarassing to post the pics. I made it with the KA mixer, but the Ankarsrum (aka, Assistent, Magic Mill, Electrolux, Verona) really makes it easy and the kneading it does is quite like hand kneading. Except it's not work. Just set it up, set the timer and it stops when it's done.

Next will be to duplicate the NY style "Jewish Rye Bread" my folks got it at "Frankies Market" in Lodi NJ at the base of the WABC radio tower (tune in 77.7 on AM. Is it still there?). I was a child but I remember the bread to this day. It made the best pastrami or ham sandwich, and for toast it was... well I have idetic imagery of it. Just phenominal. It requires quite specific ingredients and one of which I tracked down a few years ago and a source- Charnushka, or black caraway. I've come close to the rye bread of my childhood, but I think I can nail it today with just a little experimenting. A little Google research doesn't hurt either to lower the learning curve.

Scandinavian Black Bread. I'll check it out now.

Edit: I just googled it. I'll give it a try. It's new to me.

32 6,519
 04-24-2013, 03:56 AM
  • Sully
  • Super Moderator
  • Cedar Park, Texas
User Info
Brain that bread looks phenomenal!

I definitely check out the videos.

10 1,726
 04-27-2013, 02:16 PM
User Info
Last week I made pizza dough with it. It was the first thing I made in the new mixer. 2 nights ago we put the pizzas together. Sorry no pics; yes, I know it didn't happen Biggrin . Anyway... They were the best pizzas I've ever made and I make really good pizza. Cooked them out in the ceramic oven (Primo grill).

Yesterday we took the last loaf of homemade sandwich bread out of the freezer, so today was bread day. The last time I made a batch of dough for 2 loaves. This time I doubled it for 4 loaves. The machine just purred and I was kneading at somewhere between 1/2- 3/4 speed for 8 minutes. It wasn't even at 1/2 capacity. In under an hour I had them in the pans and doing the final rise.

[Image: DSC03930_zpsc97fae44.jpg]

One loaf always bites the dust after it cools down enough to slice some. Below was the sacrificial loaf. The remainder went to my neighbor. His wife is in Portland for a few days so it was more for him. He took it right inside and ate it while it was still warm from the oven.
[Image: DSC03931_zps7cd1c28b.jpg]

This is by far the best sandwich bread I've ever made; twice now. Same basic recipe that I've always made, with changes to accomodate the way the new mixer works. Plus a minimal first rise, not a full doubling with a punch down. OK, and butter replaced by grapeseed oil for health reasons.

32 6,519
 06-29-2013, 11:00 AM
User Info
Update:

We've had the mixer for awhile now, and I just have to state that it's by far the best mixer I've ever used and I'm deeply in like with it. I'd buy another in a heartbeat, but I don't need 2 mixers and I can't see this one breaking.

At least one gent wanted pics...

Here's the mixer:
[Image: DSC03929cropped_zps7b28795a.jpg]

It looks small in the picture, but that bowl (and mixer) will handle a 23 cup mix of bread dough.

Based on Marius' suggestion of quality, and having used the mixer for awhile and realizing the quality, I bought the "mincer" or in words we would use, the grinder, meaning meat grinder, but of course it will grind anything. It won't make flour; it's not that sort of grinder.

About 2 weeks ago we had the first opportunity to use it and I thawed 2 pork butts totaling 18#. The goal was to make our hot italian sausage (YUMMM!!) since we were out of it and I hate that.

I only had the speed of the machine set to 1/3ish and the throughput was pretty incredible. It can go all the way up to full speed when grinding. I haven't put a stopwatch to it, but it's a #12 grinder backed by a 1hp+ motor. Compare other machines on the web with those specs for their throughput. The grinder itself is built like a brick outhouse. It'll last for years, and I can buy parts, stuffing tubes and such, from our local food equipment service company. The grinding plates aren't 100% compatible, but a few minutes with a hand grinder and they are made compatible. The feed tray is large and that's something to look for in a high throughput grinder since the machine can take it very rapidly. To get the most out of the machine it takes one person feeding the machine and another as a gofer to keep the feed tray from running dry and to change receiving bowls/trays.

Back to the sausage... The 18# of thawed meat went through the grinder in about 15 minutes and I know it'll go faster if I had help and the meat was frozen. But I wanted the worst case in order to test the machine. When I took it apart there were no strands of "stuff" wrapping anything. Our old grinder never worked this way.

We need to make some Kielbasa and I'll probably go with another 2-3 butts. Next time I plan on using semi-frozen meat and full speed on the grind and keep track of time.

Am I happy with the new mixer? Absolutely. It works so much better than the replaced machine, and the build quality is so much better. Plus it just "sips" electricity. Yes, I monitor that with a Kill-a-Watt unit because we do have a solar power system and I want to know what each appliance comsumes. That's crtical when you make your own power from PV panels.

We also bought the blender. I had hopes that it would allow me to remove the Vita-Mix from the countertop, but that isn't the case. It is a hammermill grinder like the old VM machines, but think of it as a light duty VM. Or, as the name states, a blender. It's fine for small jobs, but it's no Vita-Mix.

Initially I had no interest in buying the grain/spice grinder, but I'm reconsidering that. I use grains most folks have never heard of, and it's much better to fresh grind them in small quantities as needed. I'm not completely decided on the grinder. I need to try to use the blender for making small quantities first and see how it works at that. The grinder attachment would certainly be easier to access and use than wrestling with the 80# Diamant grinder. That grinder is really better for larger jobs.

32 6,519