04-13-2013, 05:49 AM
  • MikekiM
  • Long Island, NY
User Info
It's very rare that I choose the same software on back-to-back days so when I reached for the tin of Kell's Original Ultra Aloe Blend Black Tea for a second day and then a third, I paid close attention.

I received the tin in a software trade with member jabberwok and had never heard of it. But the vendor describes it as "smoky, sexy and sophisticated fragrance is reminiscent of roasted tea leaves with strong overtones of tobacco" did it.

Latherability is awesome. Day one, B&B Essentials Blond Boar; day two saw an SOC boar and day three, an intentional boost in test difficulty was a Rooney Heritage 2XL which for me, needs gobs of loading and just the right hydration to yield a good lather. All three brushes were face lathered and produced excessive amounts of lather; enough for three plus passes with some left in the brush. Impressive, especially for the Rooney.

Scent. I just love it. Deep, complex notes of tobacco and leather reminiscent of an antique store. Very gentlemanly. The scent not only survives the initial lather production, but lingers on face, hands and brush for a few hours post shave.

Lube. Can't ask more.. Slick and thick with plenty of cushion. two shaves were with Weber DLC, one with a fresh Kai mild in a Feather Dx. The new Kai did leave me two small weepers, but it would have done so regardless of software selection.

Longevity. I have a pet peeve for lathers that dry down quickly as the Feather shave isn't the fastest session. The Kell's falls right in the middle of the pack here. I didn't feel compelled to relather as I got towards the end of the pass, but as applications thinned towards the end of the Feather shave, I did notice a little less protection. But with the faster Weber shave I had no concerns.

Packaging. I like the metal tin. The cap is a press on with no seal, so it's a little loose and the mouth of the container is small for a brush the size of the SoC or Rooney, but it isn't a show-stopper.

All in all, I give the Kell's Original line high marks on all counts but packaging and I am sure I will be adding more from their line as I use-down my software inventory.

33 914
 04-13-2013, 06:28 AM
  • RobE
  • NY USA
User Info
Thanks for the good review. Really piqued my curiosity. It's interesting (and maybe a little confusing) that they offer all of their varietal mixtures in either a Hemp blend, a Hemp/Aloe blend, or a (Hemp) Ultra Aloe blend. (Huh!!!) I'm definitely bookmarking this for a future purchase. Thanks.

17 290
 04-13-2013, 09:45 AM
User Info
Thanks for the review! It spurred me on to place an order for some of their sample sized products. The description of the Black Tea sounds like something that I would definitely enjoy, especially if the scent lingers.

0 123
 04-13-2013, 09:47 AM
User Info
Nice review, Michael, and enjoy the soap!

75 20,883
 04-13-2013, 10:05 AM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
I've never tried any of the Kell's Soap but have always heard good things. Thanks for the review.

45 3,955
 04-18-2013, 10:35 AM
User Info
I just received my samples of Kell's shaving soaps and one face soap sample and they smell incredible. I impressed with the size of the samples as tey are about 2" in diameter and about 0.375" thick. I bought the Hemp Blend in the Energy and English Rose scents and the Hemp/Aloe Blends in the Ancient Sedona and Black Tea scents. The face soap is the Snappy Ginger in the Hemp/Aloe Blend.

Click the link below to see a photo of the samples I received.

Kell's Original Soap Samples

0 123
 04-18-2013, 12:50 PM
User Info
I'm glad you like the soap. I really loved the performance of Kell's Original soap, but I just did not enjoy the scent of the Black Tea (which is one of the reasons why the soap trade thread is such a useful thing). It's a rare thing to find a soap that impresses you with its performance even when the scent turns you off, and of course I am always happy when I find an independent soap that blows away its more established competition.

Sent from my Transformer using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

6 327
 04-18-2013, 01:29 PM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
Is this a melt and pour soap? It looks like it from the pictures at the Kell's website, but I don't want to assume. I have yet to try a clear soap (MB, VdH) that I enjoyed so am hesitant to go order samples.

125 2,372
 04-18-2013, 01:39 PM
  • Hanzo
  • Oakland, California
User Info
(04-18-2013, 01:29 PM)blzrfn Wrote: Is this a melt and pour soap? It looks like it from the pictures at the Kell's website, but I don't want to assume. I have yet to try a clear soap (MB, VdH) that I enjoyed so am hesitant to go order samples.

I wouldn't order samples I would order 2 pucks in the scent of your choice. Its a step up from VDH . Kell's is a great soap , excellent value. It is different from a tallow soap but different, not inferior.

15 541
 04-18-2013, 06:01 PM
  • MikekiM
  • Long Island, NY
User Info
I've had a few days away from the Kell's and upon return, I like it just as much as I did when first posted.

Scent stays with me for a few hours which is a bonus.

I ordered the Energy scent today.

33 914
 04-18-2013, 06:39 PM
User Info
(04-18-2013, 06:01 PM)MikekiM Wrote: I've had a few days away from the Kell's and upon return, I like it just as much as I did when first posted.

Scent stays with me for a few hours which is a bonus.

I ordered the Energy scent today.

The Energy definitely has a citrus note and smells nice.

My samples look like they are poured. I used the Black Tea tonight and achieved a really smooth shave. I used cold water and face lathered. It lathered fairly easily although the lather was thick, it was a little on the dry side. This was my first try with Kelll"s so the dryness of the lather is just my learning curve. The scent is noticeable after the shave and very enjoyable. I prefer scents that linger and are persistent so I like the Black Tea very much.

The Ancient Sedona smells very manly with an almost cologne-like quality. I really like the scent of the English Rose as it has the rosé scent but it has a "warmness" to it. It is not a hard rose scent that immediately identifies itself but instead pulls you in with a smooth quality.

0 123
 04-20-2013, 02:24 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
I have been using Kell's soaps since 2009 , and I truly have enjoyed them a lot.The Casbah Mint is my favorite of all , and the skin care is very good indeed.However , Dan sometimes add more EO than necessary I would say , and that could cause some skin irritation.I did suffer that once , when he was testing his first shave sticks , and some other gents too.Now I think he is more consistent with the EO's and I need to get some Casbah Mint sticks for summer.

86 7,123
 04-23-2013, 12:38 AM
User Info
These are decent soaps, I really loved the Amber, but I had to get rid of it, its the only product I have ever used that made me want to scrape my face off it burned so bad.

0 652
 04-23-2013, 05:17 AM
  • MikekiM
  • Long Island, NY
User Info
Casbah Mint... What an awesome name! Adding to my 'must try' list

Posted from somewhere east of Montauk

33 914
 04-24-2013, 04:48 AM
User Info
I've got a few of the Kell's soaps that Teiste sent me a while back that I still haven't tried yet. The vanilla beam (I think that's what it is) smells absolutely amazing!

40 5,830