04-13-2013, 12:15 PM
User Info
Hey y'all. I am new to classic shaving, but have been modern wet shaving (crap in a can and cartridges)all my life. I recently started shaving with a Clog Pruf and fell in love. All of a sudden I'm shaving 6-7 days a week instead of my normal 2-3, and enjoying it. I'm obsessed, nuts is what my wife calls it.

I read the Noob guide and use a self made pre-shave of grapeseed oil, rosemary, and mint, a cheap shave brush from CVS, and am using up canned cream I already have.

I'm looking suggestions as to what products to use, where to purchase, etc. There are so many sites out there that it can get overwhelming. I would also like to acquire a razor and brush stand to appease my wife and possibly hand down to my son. I have a modest income (teacher), and would also like to support members whenever possible.

I'm also wondering where I can get a blade holder that would have come in the original case. I bought my razor at an antique shop: original case, razor, and 6 vintage Auto-strop blades, but no holder. If you have any more info about what I have, I'd appreciate that as well.

Thanks in advance and sorry for rambling.

Matt
[Image: hMbaerL.jpg]

2 52
 04-13-2013, 12:22 PM
  • OldDog23
  • BeanTown MetroWest
User Info
Hello, Matt and welcome ! Smile

0 1,291
 04-13-2013, 12:34 PM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
Welcome to the Nook! If you look under "Links" on this site there is a list of vendors who are members here. I prefer to support those vendors. Our administrator Phil owns Bullgoose Shaving and I always order there when possible. He has the best customer service you can find. As far as what products to get there are so many good ones I don't want to point you in just one direction. Spend some time on the site and read up on what's out there. Never hesitate to ask if you have any questions.

45 3,955
 04-13-2013, 12:46 PM
User Info
Welcome to The Shave Nook, Matt!

75 20,883
 04-13-2013, 12:52 PM
User Info
I have no idea about the autosrop. I'm not a fan of it's style and the strop etc, so have never even contemplated trying or using one. I'm a DE shaver.

as for where to purchase stuff, Italianbarber, Bullgoose, WestCoastShaving, ConnaughtShaving, ShoeBoxshaveshop, Vintagescent and many more. soap/software artisans like MysicWater, Mikes, QueenCharlotteSoaps are all excellent.

as for razors to pass down, the modern plated razors may not last decades like the old gillettes did (or maybe they will, who knows), they just don't make them like that any more. but there are some stainless options like Feather, Weber and Tradere in the $100-175 range or nicely plated razors like Muhle 89 and EJ Barley that are in the $40 range. i plan to pass on my vintage razors that I have picked up locally or used and cleaned up and restored.

8 2,718
 04-13-2013, 01:04 PM
User Info
Hello and welcome to the forum, Matt.

184 12,003
 04-13-2013, 01:38 PM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
Welcome Matt to The Shave Nook.

100 12,445
 04-13-2013, 01:45 PM
User Info
Matt,

Welcome to The Shave Nook. Some great suggestions already above. When I started back into wetshaving with a brush and DE razor a few years ago I relied more on some of the vintage Gillette razors. The Gillette Superspeed razor worked very well for me as it is a mild and forgiving razor. I invested in a blade sample pack and found that Feather and Astra SP blades worked well for me. Give yourself some time to read through the forum as there is a wealth of knowledge and experience found here among the members.

Bullgoose Shaving is the vendor of choice for me and where I will go to buy a product first. Other vendors can be found in the vendor section as noted above.

29 1,731
 04-13-2013, 02:13 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Welcome to The Shave Nook.

Here is a list of the vendors that support our forum.

http://shavenook.com/showvendor.php

173 23,540
 04-13-2013, 02:42 PM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
Welcome to The Shave Nook, Matt, and enjoy your stay. Smile

I don't know how old your son is but if he is at the very young curious stage then may I highly recommend that you get, or make, a blade bank in which to store used razors. Then, keep that blade bank as far as possible from your son.

Here is a thread on the topic: http://shavenook.com/showthread.php?tid=1005. I use one of the $1.00 blade banks that I got at Bullgoose but am not sure if Phil still has them in stock. The soup can with a slit is also a terrific idea. Why not give the thread a look for other ideas. Safety first. Thumbsup

Again, welcome to TSN.

2 11,211
 04-13-2013, 02:58 PM
User Info
Welcome to TSN!!
Saudações do Brasil!!

0 375
 04-13-2013, 03:14 PM
User Info
Hello and welcome!

2 5,532
 04-13-2013, 04:12 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Greetings Matt, welcome to the Nook!

91 17,851
 04-13-2013, 05:22 PM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
Welcome to TSN, Matt!

102 17,669
 04-13-2013, 09:09 PM
User Info
(04-13-2013, 02:42 PM)freddy Wrote: Welcome to The Shave Nook, Matt, and enjoy your stay. Smile

I don't know how old your son is but if he is at the very young curious stage then may I highly recommend that you get, or make, a blade bank in which to store used razors. Then, keep that blade bank as far as possible from your son.

Here is a thread on the topic: http://shavenook.com/showthread.php?tid=1005. I use one of the $1.00 blade banks that I got at Bullgoose but am not sure if Phil still has them in stock. The soup can with a slit is also a terrific idea. Why not give the thread a look for other ideas. Safety first. Thumbsup

Again, welcome to TSN.

Thanks for the idea Freddy. I grabbed a small Tupperware container for now and it's on the top shelf of my cabinet. I like the soup can idea. I can recycle it and the blades if Arizona ever gets into recycling. If only I could find a way to keep my prettier half from complaining about a soup can in the bathroom.

Thanks for all the feedback. Sounds like everyone love Phil and his service. I'll have to give him at try. Does he do SE blades? I didn't notice any on his sight, but again I might not know what i'm looking for.

FYI - Josh is 3 and loves shaving with daddy. I picked him up a slightly damaged OCMM for $5 on the way home from work this week.

2 52
 04-13-2013, 09:45 PM
User Info
the joyful land of the nook greets you Wave1

7 1,625
 04-14-2013, 01:20 AM
User Info
Hello Matt, welcome to: " Shave Nook " Relax & Enjoy.

Charles U.K

0 2,339
 04-14-2013, 02:01 AM
User Info
Welcome to TSN, Matt

31 4,957
 04-14-2013, 05:55 AM
  • savagejoerude
  • If you ain't a LOSER, you ain't livin'!!
  • New Orleans USA
User Info
Hello Matt and welcome to The Shave Nook... As a Lover Of Single Edge Razors aka L.O.S.E.R. I will direct you to this link. The thread is a place where we LOSERS meet. You may find some answers here. Also the guys that follow this thread are a plethora of useful SE information.

http://shavenook.com/thread-i-m-a-loser-...dge-razors

Enjoy The Nook and Happy Shaves !!!

5 1,151
 04-14-2013, 10:16 AM
  • Howler
  • A calamophile and vintage razor lover
  • Fort Smith AR
User Info
Greetings and welcome to the Nook.

1 3,507