04-06-2012, 08:18 PM
User Info
I have wet shaved with a DE/straight with soap and brush my whole life since I was 15 yo. I am new to the internet shaving arena. When I read posts about others issues with burn, irritation, lathering etc It made me learn one thing....

An appreciation for all the men in my family and how lucky I was to have them.

I was taught to shave by 3 generations of my family. My father taught me and stood by my side when I was 15 during my first shave. My first straight shave was in my great-great uncles barbershop 2 weeks later by his son with his dad overloooking. My grandfather gave me my first straight at 16 and lessons on how to use and maintain it.

My father and I used to share the bathroom every morning and shave together until I went to college. Even on the weekends I came home we did the same. Talking baseball, family goings on and current events. Even in my 20's he would still have a tip or suggestion. Of course the admonishments were there too. Sideburns kept too long, hair on the collar and fashion non-becoming.

My grandfather shaved my face with his straight before my college graduation when I had a broken wrist. I returned the favor many times in years to come when he was no longer able to hold a razor after getting cancer and having a stroke.

From them I learned to lather any soap, shave with any blade, and keep my appearance neat and trim. I have nicked myself on average once a year and irritation is never an issue.

Thanks guys...I truly am glad to have known you.

2 697
 04-06-2012, 08:28 PM
User Info
Excellent heritage there. I hope to be starting something like that in my family when my son comes of age. Thanks for sharing & giving me a great mental picture of what I hope to achieve one day in my own family.

31 7,912
 04-06-2012, 08:43 PM
User Info
Nice story. I wish I had someone to teach me.

I have gotten irritation once, just once when I was too bull headed to dump the lather and do it over. I see blood very rarely, mostly when I'm testing new gear. And nicks don't happen.

The info is there for anyone to get, and we wind up repeating ourselves over and over, but eventually most who hang in get it. Heck, everyone learns at different rates and all we have is the written word and a few videos.

But not everyone was as lucky as you with the family history, but they're trying and they're worth helping. Face it, if we don't help, we're all poorer for it. The manufacturers won't stay open for only a handful.

And it's a great bunch of guys to hang out with. We each bring what we can to the meeting and share as we can.

32 6,308
 04-06-2012, 08:55 PM
  • gijames
  • Mile High Soldier
  • TN, USA
User Info
wow, what can I say

sounds like a Blessing to be able to be there for your grandpa,
returning what he helped pass down to you

Smile

9 1,684
 04-06-2012, 09:00 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Thanks for sharing it with us.
My father didnt teach me how to shave,but Ill teach my son to do it properly.
I also remember when I shaved my 99 years old grandpa, a couple weeks before he died,with a shavette and he enjoyed the BBS but he was nervous about me holding a shavette.

86 7,123
 04-06-2012, 09:14 PM
User Info
Thanks for the comments. I think they shaped my passion for shaving. I think that people new to the process should realize it is not the gear, but the man holding it and those behind him that give good results and the satisfaction. You can go to CVS and get the basic VDH kit and with some practice and pointers get as great a shave, and enjoy it just as much, as those using $200 brushes, NOS vintage razors, $1 blades and vintage tallow soaps.

The joy is in the process and the proof of that is the result and how you carry yourself.

2 697
 04-06-2012, 09:52 PM
  • CMur12
  • Semogueiro de Coração
  • Moses Lake, Washington State, USA
User Info
Wow, Dan, that is a blessing in three parts!

Like most these days (actually somewhere around 1967), I learned to shave on my own. I learned on a Schick Type L Injector and Noxzema canned foam, and I did all right. I later used a Gillette Slim Adjustable.

I adopted a boar brush and shaving cream/shaving soap over 30 years ago, but I never really saw how to make lather and I didn't know what to expect of it, so I made miserable lather until I stumbled upon the shave forums and YouTube.

It would have been wonderful to learn all of this as a teenager from men who played important roles in my life. I was moved by your account of returning the favor to your grandfather when he could no longer handle a razor.

- Murray

4 1,150
 04-07-2012, 05:18 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Dan, excellent write-up. I too learned from my Dad when I was 15 with hands on experience and for 13 years before that just watching him shave every morning. As I've said many times before, shaving is not a hobby with me, it is a way of life. Can't think of a better way to start the day than with a good shave.

173 23,486
 04-07-2012, 06:15 AM
User Info
Dan,

Reading your post was a pleasure. You obviously learned a great deal from men in your family about shaving. It was evident that you built a wealth of treasured memories as you were learning and shaving alongside your father. Thank you for sharing some of your experiences with us.

29 1,731
 04-07-2012, 06:33 AM
User Info
Fantastic story Dan! Great shaving lineage!!

1 223
 04-07-2012, 10:00 AM
User Info
Great story, Dan. You are one lucky individual to have had such a great ritual!
i plan to do the same to my son when he is old enough.

75 20,883
 04-07-2012, 10:29 AM
  • Howler
  • A calamophile and vintage razor lover
  • Fort Smith AR
User Info
Nice story, great family heritage and tradition. It is great to carry the ritual torch.

1 3,507
 04-07-2012, 02:39 PM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
Altough I just started wetshaving three years ago my father taught me and gave me several items to get started. It has been a great way to bond over the last three years for us. We are always talking about products and techniques and trading products. Wetshaving has truley made us closer together and someday I hope to pass the same along to a son of my own

45 3,955
 04-07-2012, 05:20 PM
User Info
(04-06-2012, 08:18 PM)SteelTown Wrote: I have wet shaved with a DE/straight with soap and brush my whole life since I was 15 yo. I am new to the internet shaving arena. When I read posts about others issues with burn, irritation, lathering etc It made me learn one thing....

I was taught to shave by 3 generations of my family. My father taught me and stood by my side when I was 15 during my first shave. My first straight shave was in my great-great uncles barbershop 2 weeks later by his son with his dad overloooking. My grandfather gave me my first straight at 16 and lessons on how to use and maintain it.

My father and I used to share the bathroom every morning and shave together until I went to college. Even on the weekends I came home we did the same. Talking baseball, family goings on and current events. Even in my 20's he would still have a tip or suggestion. Of course the admonishments were there too. Sideburns kept too long, hair on the collar and fashion non-becoming.

My grandfather shaved my face with his straight before my college graduation when I had a broken wrist. I returned the favor many times in years to come when he was no longer able to hold a razor after getting cancer and having a stroke.

From them I learned to lather any soap, shave with any blade, and keep my appearance neat and trim. I have nicked myself on average once a year and irritation is never an issue.

Very nice story. My father taught me how to shave but without the DE or SE equipment. I remember my father being in the hospital when I was a teenager and he asked me to shave him. So I showed him what I'd learned from him.

21 1,472
 05-24-2012, 05:58 PM
  • wlmcad
  • Memphis, TN
User Info
Nice story, great family heritage and tradition. I've gotten my son-in-law interested in wet shaving. He wants to go hard core and start off with a STR8.

0 539
 05-24-2012, 06:01 PM
  • uncledave
  • Returned to DE Shaving After 40 years
  • Kentucky, USA
User Info
(04-06-2012, 08:18 PM)SteelTown Wrote: I have wet shaved with a DE/straight with soap and brush my whole life since I was 15 yo. I am new to the internet shaving arena. When I read posts about others issues with burn, irritation, lathering etc It made me learn one thing....

You are truly blessed to have such a great family. I envy you. I'm so glad you posted this story.

0 396
 05-24-2012, 06:15 PM
  • TexBilly
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Austin, TX
User Info
Thanks for sharing, Dan. Bless you and your family.

35 2,703
 05-25-2012, 03:55 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Great story Dan, thank-you for sharing. My father never taught me to shave and shaving related problems is how I ended up here, searching for surrogate father figures to help instruct me on the art of shaving...

91 17,795
 05-25-2012, 04:47 AM
User Info
Great story Dan. Deep down I feel that I'm drawn to straights because of tradition and I hope to pass this knowledge down to my son as well. I don't want to impose, but if you have the time it would be great to have a collection of pointers and advise here on the forum.

0 41