04-14-2013, 01:49 PM
User Info
Today is one of those weather days one remembers for a very long time. Like the year we got almost 30 days straight of drizzle.

One minute blue sky and sunshine, feels wonderful even if the temps are in the 40s. After our winter it almost feels warm especially with the sun shining. A few minutes later the sky is dark grey and down comes sleet, huge sleets (is that a word?), one almost wonders if it's hail, enough for accumulations on the ground within minutes. Obviously the warm air from the south and the cold air from the north are fighting it out. We just happen to live under the boxing ring. Typical spring weather for Maine. OK, not todays weather, this is memorable in it's extremes from one minute to the next, but typical in it's changeability. Just not so often typically and as many times in one day.

COME ON SPRING!!!

32 6,308
 04-14-2013, 01:58 PM
  • Tonality
  • Attempted Soap Sabbatical
  • Boston
User Info
One of the main reason I definitely do not regret moving to the Southwest. Yesterday was mid 70s and clear skies and we hung out in the sun on the lawn in town center holding a bake sale while there was a town-wide sidewalk chalk competition.

I don't know if I could go back north to the cold and wet for a majority of the year.

35 1,732
 04-14-2013, 03:44 PM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
Brian you must mean sheets of rainSmile We get monsoons in Florida all the time however, the amount of rain we get in a very short period takes your area 24 hours. But I love to be up there now or at least in Saratoga, NY with the other half of the family.

100 12,437
 04-14-2013, 03:58 PM
User Info
No I mean huge individual pieces of sleet, but lots of them. A deluge of huge sleets. :-) Sheets of sleet. If we had thunderheads they could easily be seen as being hail, except it wasn't hail. I never saw sleet granules this big before. Anyway, it's over now; clear blue sky before dark fell.

32 6,308
 04-14-2013, 04:24 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I've had enough of this winter and wonder when spring might really arrive. Things were starting to melt then BAM wet heavy snow today. I will have to wait on May showers to bring June flowers at this rate. YUK!

173 23,488
 04-15-2013, 04:46 AM
  • njpaddy
  • Central New Jersey
User Info
I hope not to see the sheets of sleet or 30 days of drizzle when my wife and I visit Maine for the first time in Sept. We rented a house for a week on one of the islands in Cosco Bay.

0 204
 04-15-2013, 07:47 AM
User Info
You should be safe Brian. September is absolutely our finest month IMO. The days can be hot, nights are generally cool, so the windows can be thrown open to enjoy great sleeping weather. There is the odd hurricane now and then, but so too for NJ.

You'll need clothing for both hot and cool. I have no idea what you'll need to wear on the ferry trips but I imagine those will be cool since 50°F ocean temps would be very warm for the north atlantic. I doubt it would be 50° in September.

What Island in Casco Bay? I assume you catch the ferry in Portland? Nice town by the way. The Old Port is fantastic! My favorite small city, by far. Great food!

If you haven't done so yet contact Maine tourism and get area info. There's a great deal to do, or just relax. A week on an island is great for relaxing. Mt. Washington isn't too far away for a day trip. If you have a clear calm day it can be nice up there. Find their site and it will give you conditions at the observatory.

Have fun!

32 6,308
 04-15-2013, 08:37 AM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
Brian, fingers-crossed you will be enjoying Springtime weather and temps very! soon Cheers

23 1,872
 04-15-2013, 09:03 AM
User Info
It's not too bad today. Temps are in the 50s with no to a mild breeze. It's coming Mike, thanks. I'll know it's truly here when the our wild trilliums bloom. They're the first of the wildflowers. They bloom first to take advantage of the rotting dead animals that the retreating snow has uncovered from the winter. The blooms smell extraordinary! Just like rotting meat to attract their pollenators, flies. It's something we joy seeing, we just can't bring any inside. I'll post pics when they bloom.

32 6,308
 04-15-2013, 06:39 PM
  • njpaddy
  • Central New Jersey
User Info
(04-15-2013, 07:47 AM)ShadowsDad Wrote: What Island in Casco Bay? I assume you catch the ferry in Portland? Nice town by the way. The Old Port is fantastic! My favorite small city, by far. Great food!

I do want to hit Portland while we're there, but we'll be staying on a bay or cove off one of the "fingers" south of Brunswick. My daughter and her husband have been going to Bailey's Island in November the past 2 years and keep telling my wife and I how nice it is. We decided to stay father north on one of the fingers (my terminology, I don't know what the locals call them), so it'll be easier to get to other places.

I did request some info today from Maine tourism. Now just have to hope for no late Sept hurricanes.

0 204
 04-15-2013, 07:31 PM
User Info
Brian, 30 days of drizzle! Well, now, that sounds like a typical month in Vancouver in the winter, my friend!Biggrin
Not much hail or sleet here, though.
Yes, come on Spring!!

75 20,883
 04-15-2013, 08:46 PM
User Info
Celestino, yes, but that was very unusual for us.

Brian I don't know much about the northern area of Casco bay. Technically they'd be peninsulas. But I just think the locals call them,"Can't get they-a from he-ya.". They're the reason Maine has more coastline than the rest of the other contiguous 49 states combined. Mt. Washington might be more trip than you'd want to do in a day from "theya".

Pick up a Maine Atlas and Gazeteer. It'll cost $20. You can get them at any supermarket up here, or stop at DeLorme (the publisher) in Freeport. You'll drive right by it, sort of, and it's worth a stop anyway. It'll show you natural things to see in your area. If you have the name of the place, google it, and the surrounding towns to find out what's there. Of course there's seafood. You might also find that there might be an oyster farm nearby. Fresh oysters straight out of the water... yumm! Buy them right there fresh and eat them ASAP. A little cheese, bread and wine along with it sounds like lunch to me. If our Gazateers weren't out in the vehicles I'd look it up for you.

OK, I said you'd drive right by Freeport. There are best 2 ways to go north in Maine. One way is to stay on I-95 all the way. The other way is to go I-95 to south Portland then get off and take I-295. It reconnects to I-95 in 60 or 70 miles. I-295 is the best way if there is no construction going on. It's 30 miles shorter and isn't a toll road. To get to LL Bean or Delorme, take rt1 entering Freeport. But Cabelas in Scarborough is also worth a stop if you're into outdoor stuff. Kittery Trading Post in Kittery is also a good place. All of those places will have the Maine Atlas and Gazateer. (BTW, I listed those stores in the reverse order that you'll encounter the towns)

Pay attention to the smell of the state soon after entering it. I'm curious to know if you smell it. I won't give you the scent. You tell me. I smell it everytime I'm away and come back, then shortly it's just air.

32 6,308
 04-16-2013, 04:14 AM
  • njpaddy
  • Central New Jersey
User Info
Thanks Brian. Now I'm really starting to look forward to it.

0 204