04-06-2012, 10:00 PM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
Does anyone shave their head with a double edge razor? My co-worker who I just converted to wetshaving shaves his head and asked me if it's possible to shave his head with a de razor as well. I told him that he will probably still have to use a disposable or cartridge but I wanted to make sure. I was able to sway him partly because of the cost of cartridges. He said he was spending about $15 every two weeks.

45 3,955
 04-06-2012, 10:35 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
I have shaved mine with a DE razor but it takes me too long,so I use a multiblade one (Wilkinson Quatrro).
Shaving your head with a DE its not that difficult once you know how to shave your face with it,but as I said,it takes it time and Ill rather spend it shaving my face.

86 7,132
 04-07-2012, 12:34 AM
  • ajc347
  • Exeter, UK
User Info
I shave my head with a DE.

As Teiste says it takes far longer to do with a DE but as I only shave it every other day or so it's not really too much of a problem.

I find that longer handles work best and the best heads in order of aggressiveness are the R41 (new version), OLD and NEW (long comb). The safety bar side of an Ikon S3S also works surprisingly well as does a Slim at maximum setting.

A Futur also works very well as a head shaver.

32 638
 04-07-2012, 05:11 PM
User Info
I am bald on top with a few stray hairs here and there. I do use the DE or SE razor to shave. I think the SE is easiest for some reason. Some heavy DE's are dangerous in my hands, so I occasionally use the dreaded Fusion Proglide. But usually a Rocket Flair or a G1 or a Fatboy work great. You have to be very careful of the changing angle.

21 1,514
 04-09-2012, 01:10 PM
User Info
Well, not DE...

When I was shaving my head I used an OCMM. Fantastically efficient razor. I also found it would reduce the scars I have up there like a microtome. No blood, just scars that don't stand out quite so much.

The OCMM worked so well that I don't remember ever using the Slim set to 9, but if the OCMM didn't work as efficiently as it did I'd have used it.

32 6,324
 04-10-2012, 08:53 PM
User Info
In the shower or out:
Weber DLC BullDog is the best DE I've used on my head

Recently discovered it provides a really close shave with minimal irritation.
My technique ends up being almost all ATG to go xtra smooth.

I had been using an electric razor beforehand,and finishing up with a Headblade in the shower.I'm learning lately that my Weber with a Feather in it is the best answer for my head shaves.

7 414
 04-11-2012, 06:42 PM
User Info
I've used a DE several times, all with pretty fair results.

My preference now though is any one of my three Shick injectors. I have a E, G, and J series razors that all do a great job, with the G (a G4) being my favorite.

- Mark

0 48
 04-11-2012, 06:48 PM
User Info
I am interested in trying, once I get my technique down. Don't much want to cause irritation on the back of my head. Going to have to stick with my headblade for now.

1 223
 04-13-2012, 06:22 AM
User Info
When I wet shaved my head I had the best luck using the Schick Quattro. Believe it or not I got the best headshave using my Braun Syncro electric shaver. The shave was BBS all over and it was irritation and nick free. I could apply Ice Blue Aqua Velva and not get any burn.

Clayton

6 617
 04-17-2012, 07:35 AM
User Info
When I saved my head with a DE I got a lot of blood! Not a good way for me to accomplish a shaved head.

Being follically challenge guy I still need to touch up the top of the head every couple day. Have a few Bic Sensitives around for that purpose. Works great, costs little and is much safer!

0 36
 04-17-2012, 08:28 AM
User Info
I use my Hoffy slant with no issue. I'm Ukrainian, so I have a nice round head, which probably helps. I've used all of my DE/SE razors on my head. Some obviously better/worse than others.

9 451
 04-17-2012, 07:17 PM
User Info
Recently started trying my Weber in the shower,unbelievably effective and smooth,nice under the running water.With that deeply knurled bulldog handle I'm not worried about losing my grip,it's easy to hang on to for all the crazy angles I shave.

I don't like any stubble on my head at all,Weber with a Feather ain't gonna let that happen before the next shave.

7 414
 04-21-2012, 06:14 AM
  • Snuff
  • Belgium
User Info
Once in a while I use a DE for head shaving (Futur, Merkur slant, vintage Gillettes). I do however prefer the Feather DX for my daily head shave.

27 1,349
 04-21-2012, 01:10 PM
User Info
I shave daily with a DE and love it.

My recommendation for a new head shaver is to go get a Trac II type handle off of e-Bay or from one of the good shaving vendors. The cartridges are available under Wilkinson at Wal-Mart or again from one of the good shaving vendors. They are inexpensive compared to the 3-5 blade cartridges.

Let him use the Trac II daily for a couple of months until he has increased his technique with a DE, then he should be able to make the transition to DE.

Good fortune.

1 2,827
 04-21-2012, 03:15 PM
User Info
There's a guy on another forum that shaves his noggin with a str8. That blows me away.

9 1,199
 04-24-2012, 02:25 PM
User Info
(04-21-2012, 03:15 PM)CyanideMetal Wrote: There's a guy on another forum that shaves his noggin with a str8. That blows me away.
A47

0 133
 04-24-2012, 09:58 PM
User Info
(04-21-2012, 01:10 PM)GDCarrington Wrote: I shave daily with a DE and love it.

My recommendation for a new head shaver is to go get a Trac II type handle off of e-Bay or from one of the good shaving vendors. The cartridges are available under Wilkinson at Wal-Mart or again from one of the good shaving vendors. They are inexpensive compared to the 3-5 blade cartridges.

Let him use the Trac II daily for a couple of months until he has increased his technique with a DE, then he should be able to make the transition to DE.

Good fortune.
I have a good all metal trac 11 handle and shave with wally wilkes. Link to handle the col conk http://www.razorsdirect.com/trac2.html

0 61
 04-25-2012, 06:38 AM
  • donoma
  • Birmingham, AL
User Info
I shave my head every other day with a Mach 3 while in the shower. It general takes me about 5-10 mins to shave my head. I use Bald Guyz shave gel which is awesome for this purpose. It's mostly an oil that can get very thin with all the water in the shower, but still provide the glide & protection for a great shave.

One day I will take the time for a DE shave on the dome.Cool

0 64
 04-25-2012, 02:54 PM
User Info
Unfortunately my hair is thinning enough that I am thinking about how to start shaving my head. Sad

0 133
 10-01-2014, 02:27 PM
User Info
Found this posting kinda late, but I too shave almost daily with a DE for my head. I love being bald by the way. I also, sometimes use a Trac II razor.

1 1,975