04-14-2013, 10:37 PM
User Info
I am sorely tempted to pick up a Merkur 45C (from Connaught Shaving, since I've been happy with them in the past), and would like to know what you all think of it? The vibe I'm getting is that it's a smooth if slightly aggressive razor... nice and lightweight, like my bakelite slant.

Been a while since I feed my ADs... I think I might end up with more in my order Tongue

3 3,580
 04-15-2013, 06:39 AM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
Hans, the Merkur 45 slant is an extremely lightweight razor about 14 grams but shaves like no other meaning extremely close without feeling aggressive. The razor is 99% bakelite and 1% brass (stud).
If you buy it you might think its a toy but don't give it to a child to play withSmile

100 12,450
 04-15-2013, 06:57 PM
  • Crag
  • Menifee, Ca 92586
User Info
I number of years ago I found one basically like this in an antiques store but it was stamped Solingen on the base. I assumed it was a Merkur, but couldn't find that stamped anywhere. I liked it very much. With the right blade (Astra SP for me) I could get a very nice shave.

I had the bad luck though to put it in a box that was destroyed during one of our moved so the razor was history. I'm glad to know that they are still alive...I might just get another!

68 1,417
 04-15-2013, 07:12 PM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
One thing to note is that it is NOT a slant....head design more like a Progress but not adjustable....quite a good shaver and you can use various handles if you wish.Available with and without the case.

6 1,913
 04-15-2013, 10:36 PM
User Info
I know it's not a slant - but I was thinking it might be a nice companion to my bakelite slant Wink

Since no one so far is telling me it's a horrible shaver I might just spring for it - once I got the green light from my Better Half Tongue

3 3,580
 04-17-2013, 11:00 PM
User Info
It is a fantastic shaver! I was so surprised that a 14g razor could shave so well!

0 69
 04-30-2013, 11:58 AM
User Info
This one has really surprised me positively, it is very efficient and smooth; aggressive without being "dangerous". Also, it looks very cool. OTOH, I suspect it may break if dropped since bakelite is not the most robust of materials. Still, it has a place among my favourites.

0 82