04-15-2013, 08:09 AM
User Info
Finished this one up yesterday, came out really good.

Black horn, Arizona Jade Recon stone wedge, SS & nickel hardware

[Image: bj-eyre-horn-recon-14.jpg]

[Image: bj-eyre-horn-recon-05.jpg]

[Image: bj-eyre-horn-recon-11.jpg]

[Image: bj-eyre-horn-recon-13.jpg]

[Image: bj-eyre-horn-recon-12.jpg]

0 41
 04-15-2013, 09:03 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
That is really nice. Wonderful restoration.

173 23,548
 04-15-2013, 09:39 AM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
Hi

Beautiful work on the blade restoration Thumbsup

I like the clean, sweeping lines of the black horn scales and the SS & nickel hardware works nicely...

Purely personal opinion (I mean no offence), I'm not sure about seeing the wedge, think I might prefer if it was scribed to the shape of the scales, but I really! do like the Arizona Jade Recon material used.

Take care, Mike

23 1,872
 04-15-2013, 09:43 AM
User Info
(04-15-2013, 09:39 AM)mikeperry Wrote: Purely personal opinion (I mean no offence), I'm not sure about seeing the wedge, think I might prefer if it was scribed to the shape of the scales, but I really! do like the Arizona Jade Recon material used.

I'm not sure which way I lean on this. I can see the argument on both sides. But I too like the material a lot. And excellent work overall.

184 12,003
 04-15-2013, 11:15 AM
User Info
Looks good Brad.
Did you regrind or just clean it up?

0 93
 04-15-2013, 11:47 AM
User Info
Great work, and super looking razor, and very nice touch with that little glimpse of colour from the exposed end of the wedge.

Jamie.

5 1,810
 04-15-2013, 01:28 PM
User Info
That looks really nice! I must confess that I do like what you did with the wedge, it really creates a unique look. It is not what is typically expected so it stands out.

Regarding the scales, the part that always seems to wear and break the most is at the henge of the blade. Is the thickness of the scales based upon the pin lengths being used or can the scale thickness be increased to reduce the amount of stress in this area?

I was just curious because a friend of mine made a single piece handle (scales) out of wood but it is fairly thick and uses a screw and nut instead of a pin. The arm is really the holder from a broken Parker SRW shavette.

0 123
 04-16-2013, 06:26 AM
User Info
The most stress is put on the pivot area of scales, hence they are the first to crack. Wood is probably the most likely to crack around this area, followed by Ivory, and then bakelite and some vintage plastics. I find that Horn is rather sturdy, and can take more abuse, and some of the more modern plastics also seem rather resilient. Modern synthetics like Micarta, G-10, and Carbon fiber are nearly impossible to crack.

You could make thicker scales, but, personally, I find them visually appalling and incredibly difficult to strop and hone with. I try to keep my scale thickness between .08" and .10". this set is on the thicker side of that range.

(04-15-2013, 01:28 PM)koolereye Wrote: That looks really nice! I must confess that I do like what you did with the wedge, it really creates a unique look. It is not what is typically expected so it stands out.

Regarding the scales, the part that always seems to wear and break the most is at the henge of the blade. Is the thickness of the scales based upon the pin lengths being used or can the scale thickness be increased to reduce the amount of stress in this area?

I was just curious because a friend of mine made a single piece handle (scales) out of wood but it is fairly thick and uses a screw and nut instead of a pin. The arm is really the holder from a broken Parker SRW shavette.

0 41
 04-16-2013, 11:17 AM
User Info
Thank you very much for the reply. Sounds pretty logical to me.

0 123
 04-19-2013, 10:28 AM
User Info
Great looking razor, looks like nice quality restoration work. Undream, what kind of edge do you put on your razors?

4 32
 04-20-2013, 06:35 AM
User Info
Gorgeous!

2 106
 04-21-2013, 09:46 AM
  • Java
  • Warner Robins, Georgia, USA
User Info
Beautiful. The wedge is such a pretty material, count me among those that like that you've made more of it visible.

0 271