04-07-2012, 03:56 AM
User Info
I can remember when India was red hot for shave items, now people won't touch them. I used to sell Godrej like it was magic and watched that slow down. the board moves on I guess and now India is a distant past until someone all of sudden "Discovers" them and what is old will be new again.

5 273
 04-07-2012, 04:39 AM
User Info
I can pick up some Godrej & Dettol creams when I visit my folks in Atlanta. There are a couple of larger Indian grocery stores (Patel Bros is one, can't remember the other but they're across the street from each other) that sell them for $3-4 each. I also saw some SuperSpeed knockoff razors & brushes that reminded me of the Turkish No 6. I so far much prefer my Dettol Cool cream to the Godrej Lime cream. I've yet to try the Godrej Deluxe.

India is a good place though for quality albeit not luxurious products which are nicely priced.

31 7,914
 04-07-2012, 05:50 AM
User Info
They are most definitely a cosmetic powerhouse making a grest many items and pharmaceuticals too.

5 273
 04-07-2012, 06:11 AM
  • Sully
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Cedar Park, Texas
User Info
I think it really has to do with the flavor of the month or flavor of the week mentality. Someone discovers a "new" product and starts raving about it, before you know it a bunch of people are tracking it down and they are also raving about it. Within a month or so nearly everyone has the "new" product in their den and then they are moving on, looking for the next great lathering product.

I spent a lot of time, effort and money looking for the one soap that would put all the others to shame. What I discovered is that there really isn't one perfect product that will replace all the others and their are lots of soaps that are really great.

7 1,018
 04-07-2012, 06:11 AM
User Info
I was wondering the same. So good to see your post.

I was on a trip to India recently and picked up a whole bunch of shaving products. I must say that while DEs seem to have lost some popularity, at least in the metros, shaving products were plentiful.

The best discovery during the trip was the single blade cartridge razor called Gillette Guard. I sure love them and posted a review on the other board. It is now my go to travel razor for short trips. Pleasantly surprising since I got a BBS from this 30cent razor. If you haven't tried it, give it a shot sometime. To me it feels like the Gillette Black blade.

For the rest of the haul:

Creams/Soaps
1. Yardley creams (several kinds): Fragrance is fine, lather is so so, lacks cushion and glide. An OK shave.
2. Godrej Menthol Mist : I love this. I get as good a lather as from some of the expensive creams I have got. The menthol is just right for me.
3. Godrej Lime : Good, not great. Lather is fine, fragrance is not to my liking.
4. Godrej Deluxe lather: The lather is simply amazing. I wish the fragrance was better, but part of my rotation, esp when I uberlather.
5. Old Spice - Original, musk, lime : All of them are OK lather. Musk is my fav fragrance of the lot.
6. Dettol Extreme: Good on both lather and frag, but does not make me want to reach for it.
7. Park Avenue Classic, Good Morning, Cool Blue: Lather is fine but a step below Godrej. I favor the Cool Blue fragrance, the rest are just OK.
8. Axe Denim: Fantastic but over powering fragrance. Lather is good.
9. Premium : Appeared to be a Park Avenue low end. Didn't bring it back with me. Can't remember how it performed. Not teriibly well, I presume, since I did not lug it along.
10. Bio Palmyra: Simply the best for lather and post shave feel. To me it is much better the Body Shop Maca Root which was my go cream. A absolutely mushy, creamy, slick lather. Great glide, great cushion and unbelievable amount of lather. I would greatly recommend this cream to anyone - well almost anyone. I know of some people being sensitive to the base (coconut oil). However, all the ingredients are natural, devoid of harsh chemicals.
11. Godrej Rounds: Good lather, detergent smell.

The cost of the entire lot was less than 20 bucks, if I remember right.

The blades:
1. Gillette 7OC Black, 7OC Greens (India), Supermax Plat, SuperMax Tiger Super Plat (a lesser known blade but shaves great), and of course the Gillette Guard (I know it is shave sacrilege but at 10 cents per cart....) - All great blades and will get them when I am there next.
2. SuperMax, Topaz, Gillette Wilkis - I would avoid.

Post Shave:
1. Old Spice, Old Spice, Old Spice
2. Denim, Park Avenue, Premium, Fa...there were too many. I did not get any. Perhaps the next time.

(04-07-2012, 03:56 AM)Shave a Buck Wrote: I can remember when India was red hot for shave items, now people won't touch them. I used to sell Godrej like it was magic and watched that slow down. the board moves on I guess and now India is a distant past until someone all of sudden "Discovers" them and what is old will be new again.

0 41
 04-07-2012, 07:57 AM
User Info
(04-07-2012, 06:11 AM)nickedandcut Wrote: The best discovery during the trip was the single blade cartridge razor called Gillette Guard. I sure love them and posted a review on the other board. It is now my go to travel razor for short trips. Pleasantly surprising since I got a BBS from this 30cent razor. If you haven't tried it, give it a shot sometime. To me it feels like the Gillette Black blade.

A couple of weeks ago I used a Gillette Guard for the first time while at a YMCA camp with my son's class. I only had cool well water, I had a poor lather, and I was rushing to get to lunch on time, but yet I had a fantastic shave. Zero irritation and I had to look hard for any stray whiskers. It's now my go-to for travel as well. The only thing I didnt' like about it was that the protective cap on the blade didn't stay on in my ditty bag. I'll solve that next time with a rubber band.

0 836
 04-07-2012, 08:57 AM
  • JAYDEE
  • Israeli Ambassador
  • Montreal, Canada
User Info
Indian creams are excellent in my opinion for the most part. I love all of the Godrej creams, with the Menthol Mist being my favorite of that product line. After that, I would say that the Old Spice Original would be my next choice. There are a few Indian creams however, which I would say are actually subpar in quality. The prices are definitely very competitive, even verging on cheap.

3 2,562
 04-07-2012, 09:14 AM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
I have tried some of the Indian products :

-The Godrej shaving creams are decent performers.

-The Old Spice/Palmolive ones werent that good.

-The Axe Denim had a nice scent and its performance was so so.

And one of these days Ill try the Godrej shaving soap.

The Indian Wilkinson (made by Gillette) are good blades,but a little bit expensive when I compare them with others like the Astras.

86 7,123
 04-07-2012, 09:40 AM
  • etoyoc
  • NW Indiana
User Info
I liked the Indian cremes and bought several tubes. However, most of the time I use soaps. So my supply of Indian creams will last me for years. I didn't care too much for the Godrej puck.. it worked, but it just didn't do anything for me. I don't go through AS very fast so my Indiana made Old SPice and Old SPice with lime will last a LONG time.

0 253