04-15-2013, 12:45 PM
User Info
Well, it's been a while since I've been on here.

I've been enjoying the constant access to the outdoors here in NH, and that means that I have less time for other online hobbies. You guys are great, of course, but don't take it badly if I prefer to spend the time running, hiking and riding my bike. Biggrin

Anyway, here are a few pics from the past winter and the beginning of spring. They're all from my commute to work - I mostly ride my bike (using the roads), but frequently I'll hike, snowshoe, or run to and from work, if I feel up to it. It's not far - a little over six miles over the hills here.

The first couple of pics are from a time I snowshoed to work after we'd had about 2 feet of snow. The snow was pristine.

That's a lake at the centre of the pic:
[Image: temporary-1.jpg]

[Image: temporary-2.jpg]

Winter ended recently, and the trails have turned to mud. This is a pic from a recent run to work:

[Image: temporary-4.jpg]

-------------

Now it's time to work on the new garden. I cannot believe it, but we're actually buying a house. We'll move in there in June, but the current owners are allowing me to work on the garden now, as I'll be able to harvest after I move in.

So, busy times - but I'll be around here too. Smile

37 1,731
 04-15-2013, 12:55 PM
User Info
Yohann, great to see that you are well, my friend.
Good luck with the new house and enjoy the environment!

75 20,883
 04-15-2013, 01:10 PM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
Yohann, it is great to hear from you and see those beautiful photos. Good luck with the new house.

2 11,211
 04-15-2013, 02:15 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Great to see all is well. Good luck with the new home. And thanks for sharing the lovely pictures.

173 23,516
 04-16-2013, 09:44 AM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
Hi Yohann

What beautiful scenery and the outdoor living, activities sound excellent Thumbsup

Wishing your family and you all the happiness in your new home Smile

Enjoy the new garden, I look forward to seeing some photos as it develops and grows.

Take care, Mike

23 1,872
 04-16-2013, 09:49 AM
User Info
Yohann, it's good to see you back. Your life sounds interesting and full of simple pleasures. I'll look forward to hearing more about it.

184 12,002
 04-17-2013, 07:32 AM
User Info
Here are a few pics from my walk in to work today. I couldn't run, as I'm still recovering from something that resembled the flu.

It was too late for the actual dawn chorus, but there were some birds singing. I saw (and heard) a couple of woodpeckers. Can't identify most birds, though.

[Image: temporary-5.jpg]

[Image: temporary-6.jpg]

It's hard to get perspective with a phone camera. The stream in the next pic is 30-40 feet below where I was standing.

[Image: temporary-7.jpg]

Here's the trail as I follow the power lines.

[Image: temporary-8.jpg]

It was pretty wet in the woods. I don't mind the wet, though. I do like moss and lichen, and they're everywhere.

[Image: temporary-9.jpg]

The best part of running/hiking through the woods in the winter is the fact that you don't have to worry about ticks and biting insects (ticks are not insects). However, they're out now. I picked the first tick of the season off my shoulders this morning. The main goal is to avoid Lyme disease.

Still, I won't give up going into the woods. Anyone who has run the trails will tell you that trail running is a lot more fun than running on pavement.

37 1,731
 04-17-2013, 07:58 AM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
(04-17-2013, 07:32 AM)yohannrjm Wrote: Here are a few pics from my walk in to work today. I couldn't run, as I'm still recovering from something that resembled the flu...

Hi Yohann

What a gorgeous journey into work you have. Fingers-crossed you are feeling better soon and get back to running into work.

Like yourself, I like the many different colours, textures, etc of moss and lichen. I don't understand why they get a bad press sometimes eg Moss invading my lawn Angry -- fix the conditions to favour your lawn and the moss will disappear. Moss (plant) and lichen (fungus and plant) are pretty amazing plants and really only appear, grow when conditions swing in their favour...

You're certainly right about trail (and fell) running, it takes running to another level (IMHO).

Take care, Mike

23 1,872
 04-17-2013, 07:59 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Nice pictures Yohann. How far is that walk to work for you? And you are correct, ticks are not insects. They are blood sucking creatures.

173 23,516
 04-17-2013, 09:30 AM
User Info
Where abouts in NH is it? I'm near Portsmouth.

11 183
 04-17-2013, 10:20 AM
User Info
(04-17-2013, 07:59 AM)Johnny Wrote: Nice pictures Yohann. How far is that walk to work for you? And you are correct, ticks are not insects. They are blood sucking creatures.

Johnny,

This morning, my walk was about 6 miles. I usually run between 6-10 miles, depending on the route (and how much time I have).

(04-17-2013, 09:30 AM)zenless Wrote: Where abouts in NH is it? I'm near Portsmouth.

I'm near Claremont.

37 1,731
 04-17-2013, 02:09 PM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
Yohann, those photos are terrific. What a great way to go to work. Smile

2 11,211