04-15-2013, 01:17 PM
User Info
As some of you might have heard, the Boston Marathon was hit with a series of bomb blasts this afternoon - at the last count, two people have been killed and several others injured.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/16/us/exp...on.html?hp

This is a really sad day for us all, and my thoughts go out to the many people affected by this. As someone who has friends who run the Boston Marathon, I'm really badly shaken.

37 1,731
 04-15-2013, 01:22 PM
  • Tonality
  • Attempted Soap Sabbatical
  • Boston
User Info
Seconded. I've been following the stories since I first hear about it. Absolutely horrible. I've checked in with everyone I know in the area and thankfully no one hurt, I hope others with family and friends find similar relief.

35 1,732
 04-15-2013, 01:36 PM
User Info
Unbelievable to happen here in Boston.

Thoughts and prayers with all those involved.

5 337
 04-15-2013, 01:46 PM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
I, too, have been following it. A third bomb went off at the JFK library. Even though I'm at the other end of the country, I was quite shaken by this. Thoughts and prayers to the injured and family and friends of the deceased.

2 11,211
 04-15-2013, 01:50 PM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
Horrible and heart-wrenching ...

My thoughts and prayers for all those affected.

102 17,669
 04-15-2013, 02:20 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
When they find who did this then straight to the hangman's noose in the public square.

I pray for the dead, the injured, and the first responders. I loath the scum that would do something like this.

173 23,540
 04-15-2013, 02:56 PM
User Info
My wife's sister ran the marathon today, and we were freaking out when we heard the news. Thankfully she had already finished and was out of the area when the explosion happened. We're also fortunate that we reached her before the cell phone service was shut off in Boston.
She's one the road back to NY now.

Our thoughts and prayers are still with those who were affected.

10 2,062
 04-15-2013, 03:16 PM
  • Shaun
  • St Peters, NSW, Australia
User Info
I am deeply upset at the news as I am sure we all are here in Australia; condolences to all affected people and families. Boston is one of the world's great and beautiful cities. May justice be swift, and cool-headed.

0 1,625
 04-15-2013, 03:30 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
I just heard the news and am absolutely speechless. I am very shaken and my thoughts and prayers are with everyone affected.

45 16,346
 04-15-2013, 04:00 PM
  • Grumpy
  • DisneyLand
User Info
Two Bombs Exploded, One Blown Up, 2 Dead, 15 to 20 Lost Limbs, a 100 plus injured.

My Prayers are with everyone. To those dead or injured and those who were there who witnessed it all.

Not much else to say as it is a very sad day.

May God Grant Us The Justice That We Seek.

And after we are done let the Courts have them.

1 819
 04-15-2013, 04:36 PM
User Info
Thoughts and prayers out to all involved, their families and persons involved in the work to capture those responsible.

31 1,800
 04-15-2013, 05:51 PM
User Info
We (wife, kids, and myself) were about a block away when it happened. Luckily we were on Newbury St., the next street over from Boylston. My sister was running the marathon but was slowing up (she was due to finish at around 3PM or almost precisely when the bombs went off). Because she was slowing down, we took our time to get to the finish line, or else we would have been right there. As it was we were on the other side of the building where they did the controlled explosion of the third bomb.

It's just lousy that this is the sort of event that is now "fair game." It's a great celebration of achievement, as everyone, from the first to the last finishers are all winners. And everyone wants to celebrate their finish with their loved ones and families. And this a**hole decided to detonate those bombs right at that finish line and when the "average" runners were celebrating.

72 1,407
 04-15-2013, 06:03 PM
User Info
Oh my goodness Josh. That's terrifying. I'm so glad you and your family are ok.

10 2,062
 04-15-2013, 06:20 PM
User Info
My thoughts and prayers to everyone involved. Such a senseless tragedy. Violence is not the answer to whatever the problem is, much less random acts against ordinary people.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk HD

129 6,685
 04-15-2013, 06:20 PM
User Info
Yeah it was pretty awful. I remember hearing the explosions and feeling the impact of them even so far away. And then, while wondering if it was a cannon (my first thought was that it was some juvenile prank, to fire a cannon to celebrate Patriots Day, a state holiday here) or if it was a gas explosion at one of the building, I saw crowds of people sprinting up Dartmouth St. (a side street that connects Newbury St. and Boylston) and running for cover. Then I thought it was a terrorist attack and that they were coming up the street, shooting at people. So we grabbed everyone and ducked in a store. I can still see that rush of people, everyone scared out of their minds.

72 1,407
 04-15-2013, 07:10 PM
User Info
Truly a senseless incident!

75 20,883
 04-16-2013, 12:00 AM
User Info
 04-16-2013, 12:44 AM
User Info
My thoughts and compassion to anyone involved, and my sincere hope that the injured pulls through alive and with the will to live intact.

It may seem senseless - but considering the placement of the IEDs, the way they were constructed and the timing... it's a 'textbook' example of a terror attack, where the main goal is to cause terror and insecurity. My hat of to the first responders who - as far as I can see in the media - managed to handle the situation without it turning into a blind stampede (which, I'm certain, the terrorist(s) had hoped for).

Partly due to my job and partly due to having inlaws in the US, I have followed this closer than I probably ought to have; in the light of that, please do me and yourself a favour and don't go searching too hard for photos of the bombing since there is quite a few rather graphic photos being shared on twitter and imgur now - as bad as anything I saw in South Sudan after the LRA had attacked a village. Sometimes I don't enjoy my line of work at all...

It is still too early to speculate as to who is behind this (even more so in the light of the lack of warnings and statements from terrorist organisations after the fact) but it's my sincere hope that they are captured and put on trial as soon as possible.

3 3,578
 04-16-2013, 04:11 AM
User Info
We were not at the Marathon this year, but instead visiting relatives in Rhode Island during what is a long, holiday weekend in Massachusetts For us, my wife in particular this strikes very close to home as she has volunteered for a number of years and often worked right at the finish line where the blasts occurred. LIke many folks in the Boston area, we know runners who run Boston every year and our thoughts turned immediately to those folks.

When we visit family, usually there is no radio or TV on, so we are largely unplugged, but as we were driving back to her cousin's house her phone popped off with an alert from her employer, MIT about an explosion at the finish line. LIke many of you, we soed back to the cousin's house and watched coverage on local Rhode Island stations. Unlike most of you, we are very familiar with that area having been in many of the shops and restaurants that you saw in the background of the station.

Here's the good news. The wounded, many having suffered horrendous wounds received almost instantaneous medical care. Because of the huge size of the Boston Marathon, there were hundreds of well-trained Doctors, Nurses, therapists, EMT's, most of whom were set up a few hundred yards behind the finish line. Additionally as with any large event of this size, most of the roads in the area were blocked off providing immediate quick access to the big teaching hospitals a few miles away. As I understand it, those most seriously injured were being wheeled in to surgical suites within minutes of their injuries.

Yet there's a larger, but less traumatic story to tell. The Marathon has 27,000 participants ranging from world-class runners to amatuer joggers who volunteer to raise funds for charity. Many of these runners are local, but many come from all around the world coming to Boston, stay in hotels intending to fly out Sunday night after the race is over. Immediately after the race a group of Boston police ran down to the feeder road that feeds into Boylston street (the finish line) and stopped the thousands of runners coming up the road.

So amidst the chaos, shock and trauma there were ten's of thousand visitors who are dehydrated, tired, wet and sore standing around confuse and getting chilled as the late afternoon cooled off. Almost immediately neighboring folks all along the route started bringing runners in their homes to warm up, call relatives on land-lines and computers to contact relatives as the cell network was overwhelmed and even shut off for awhile to preclude the possibility of cell phone detonations.

Immediately afterwards some of the hotels that runners were staying at, or had their cars parked at were evacuated or blocked off by police until authorities. Invitations to warm-up became invitations to spend the night. As Matt mentioned a Google doc spreadsheet popped up from nowhere listing offers of a room, a couch, meals for stranded runners. Others offered to meet runners and drive them someplace. Some of the offers came from affluent suburbanites who wanted to drive in to the city and meet runners and yet others were from college students down the road, offering a pull-out bed or a couch.

I hope that I am not trivializing the horror of these attacks, but I do want to acknowledge the good work of folks who went out into the street found a stranded, exhausted runner and reached out to care for them.

I want to shout out to Josh (Jpakstis) being thankful that he and his family are safe, but I'm sure shook Same to John (TaborCarn) for his Lady friend being safe.

Today, I'll be breaking off from work to go to the local Red Cross center to donate blood.

3 452
 04-16-2013, 05:51 AM
User Info
(04-16-2013, 12:44 AM)WegianWarrior Wrote: My hat of to the first responders who - as far as I can see in the media - managed to handle the situation without it turning into a blind stampede (which, I'm certain, the terrorist(s) had hoped for).

The only reason there was so much confusion with the race itself is because all the police were called to the scene. I know several Mass. State Troopers who ran, or were running, the race and then were called into duty.

72 1,407