04-15-2013, 05:25 PM
  • MikekiM
  • Long Island, NY
User Info
Try as I might to love badgers, it continues to be the boars that I fall for. Blonde boar. Messy, scraggly, unbleached, split ended blonde boar.

I am gradually making sense of the Omega nomenclature and have a few questions as I start to sort it out.

Q1-Am I correct that the first two digits denote the class and design of the bristles? IE a 31 series as in 31064 or 31025 are all sketched blonde. Are the knots consistent across the 31 model line as far as density?

Q2-Are the 10066 and the 80266 aka the 66's, the same except for the sketching on the 266?

Q3-Is there any way to use the numbering system to grade the brushes? In other words, does a higher or lower first two digits mean a better or lesser grade of bristle? For instance, is the #45, aka 73645 a better grade of bristle than say.. 31064? Or the 80266 better than the 10066?

Q4-I can't shake the images of the 73645 and have read it compares well to the SoC which is by far my favorite brush. If you have or have had both, Please offer your thoughts. And, if you have images of them side-by-side, please share.

I have recently acquired a Mighty Midget Wide Waist blonde boar and a 31064. Frankly, I like the Wide Waist more. The 31064 is a bit anemic in the density area. Mine isn't fully broken in, and I'll be patient but we're not off to a good start.

33 914
 04-16-2013, 05:35 AM
User Info
Good morning. I've had the SOC boar for over a year and recently picked up the 42 which has the identical knot to the 45 with a taller handle. I picked up the Omega because of the similarity in knot specs to the Semogue 2000. Unfortunately, the feel does not compare well to the larger brush. My Omega hasn't fully broken in yet so a real comparison isn't possible, just some initial thoughts over the last month.

I really like the Omega, but I don't see the similarity to the SOC. The knot isn't nearly as dense. It doesn't bloom like the Semogue. There is more flagging on the tips of the Omega than the SOC. I feel like it takes longer to load the brush than my SOC. It does have nice backbone and the tips are softening but it just isn't there yet.

The Omega is a nice brush, just different than the SOC.

18 569
 04-16-2013, 05:46 AM
  • MikekiM
  • Long Island, NY
User Info
Thanks Dale...

I am looking for something close to the SoC and above the 31064..

33 914
 04-16-2013, 05:54 AM
User Info
(04-16-2013, 05:46 AM)MikekiM Wrote: Thanks Dale...

I am looking for something close to the SoC and above the 31064..

The hair is pretty much the same as the 31064, but the loft is set lower. I briefly had the 31064 a couple years ago, but it was large and floppy and I let it go immediately. Honestly, if I wanted something similar to the SOC, I would just get a second SOC.

18 569
 04-16-2013, 07:14 AM
User Info
Brush preferences truly are YMMV. I don't get Semogue brushes. For me, they splay and flag far too much, lack backbone and takes some time to break in. I realize from all the reviews, I am in the minority.

I like the knot in the Mighty Midget Wide Waist very much. It has great backbone, is compact but will splay when pushed, and breaks in very quickly. The problem with many Omega brushes is with their cheap handles, which is the case with the MMWW. I have re-handled the knot and I am very happy with the results. I rotate two for daily use. It is a great bargain at $7.

0 52
 04-16-2013, 08:05 AM
  • MikekiM
  • Long Island, NY
User Info
LoL.. And I kind of like the handle... Simple but not cheap hollow dime store.

The points of the rings on the end of the handle are a bit uncomfortable but that's nothing a piece of 800 grit sand paper can't fix..

33 914