04-15-2013, 06:02 PM
  • Java
  • Warner Robins, Georgia, USA
User Info
I understand the difference between how an SS shaves and how a Red Tip shaves. Here's my question; does anyone know what the difference in the razors is? I mean, do they have the same baseplates with different doors? Or different baseplates with the same doors?

0 270
 04-15-2013, 06:03 PM
  • Tonality
  • Attempted Soap Sabbatical
  • Boston
User Info
(04-15-2013, 06:02 PM)Java Wrote: I understand the difference between how an SS shaves and how a Red Tip shaves. Here's my question; does anyone know what the difference in the razors is? I mean, do they have the same baseplates with different doors? Or different baseplates with the same doors?

From what I understand, the main difference in the shave difference in the Red Tip is due to the fact that it weighs the most of the Superspeeds, whereas the Blue Tip weighs the less (made of aluminum?).

35 1,732
 04-15-2013, 06:11 PM
User Info
I believe the blade gap is different as well.

8 2,718
 04-15-2013, 06:27 PM
  • Fab
  • New York, NY
User Info
Weight and blade gap are different. And of course the tip Biggrin

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

10 486
 04-15-2013, 10:14 PM
  • Shaun
  • St Peters, NSW, Australia
User Info
To complicate matters, there is the English version: the Red Tip Rocket. This one is heftier, made better, and shaves better than the US made variety, although harder to find. They do come up though, but I have never seen a near-mint one. If I had to choose, I'd take the English version any day, but to a collector, well, get both!

0 1,622
 04-16-2013, 12:59 AM
User Info
The Gaps and heavy/weight variances are what makes the shave result differences on razors, the bigger the gap the more aggressive. Red Tip {USA] is 66mm [wt 65g], 1940's Super Speed is 64mm [wt 54g], Gillette Super Speed 1950-60's is 58mm [ wt 58g], Gillette Blue tip 58mm [wt 58 gm]

0 606
 04-16-2013, 03:44 AM
User Info
And to make matters even more complicated, the U.S. versions even have a "+" variation, which is slightly more aggressive than the standard Red Tip. I've owned and shaved with both, but when I had the "+" variation, I thought they were all +. Then I sold my + when I found another Red Tip that had perfect paint on the tip. Only later did I discover that there were variants.

Sent from my iPhone to the interwebs and straight to your brain using Tapatalk

0 53
 04-16-2013, 08:14 AM
  • CRAusmus
  • Going from Texas to Georgia
User Info
Wouldn't it be cool if there was a huge database that had all the blade gaps and weights for razors?

I'm especially interested in the Gillettes, but it would be awesome to know what the blade gaps are on some of the newer models, so that you can relate those numbers to some of the razors you currently have in you nook. This would allow us to make more informed decisions about new purchases. I don't know. Sounds interesting to me anyway.

14 1,177
 04-16-2013, 03:10 PM
  • Java
  • Warner Robins, Georgia, USA
User Info
Thanks, all. I assumed it had a bigger blade gap, but I wondered which piece of the razor is changed to increase the gap.

0 270
 04-18-2013, 03:17 AM
User Info
(04-16-2013, 03:44 AM)24Fanatic Wrote: And to make matters even more complicated, the U.S. versions even have a "+" variation, which is slightly more aggressive than the standard Red Tip.

Has this ever been confirmed? I've heard it speculated but not seen any proof. Also heard the + or ++ was just a plate marking to distinguish it from the regular SS plates so they were not mixed up in production.

23 212
 04-18-2013, 05:25 AM
User Info
I used to have one of the + marked Red Tips, and it was ever so slightly more aggressive than the Red Tip I currently own, which does not have a plus. My current Red Tip has the normal markings on the bottom of the baseplate, with the Gillette logo, date code, etc., but no +. So I would venture to say the baseplates weren't marked with the + to keep them separated from the regular Superspeed baseplates.

Sent from my iPhone to the interwebs and straight to your brain using Tapatalk

0 53
 04-18-2013, 10:10 AM
User Info
I have searched other sites and the general consensus is that they are solely for manufacturing. I have four redtips. Two have no "+" and two have double "++". To me they shave no different. I wish I had the tools to actually measure the blade gap.

23 212