04-15-2013, 10:06 PM
  • Shaun
  • St Peters, NSW, Australia
User Info
This is something I recently acquired: a Travel Merkur Open Comb, marked Solingen Germany (and MERKUR on the case near the hinge, as you can see). I couldn't find any reference to a date on the web, and saw only a similar version with a blue-lined case. Any clues, chaps? I have a feeling it's not that old, although the blade wrapper (see below) has a thirties look. I shouldn't think the razor would be that old. Sixties? Later??

I shaved with it this morning with a Gillette Super Thin (Thai) and it provided a VERY good shave, I must say, two passes and touch-ups around the chin/neck. Nice acoustics. I have the more modern Merkur travel closed-comb in the leather case but this one shaves slightly better IMO.

The handle is a kind of two-tone, but the 'beigey' colour you can see in the bands on the two-part handle is really a kind of adhesive. The whole thing was very dirty and discoloured when I got it. It's good now, but there is some bubbling on the cap; hard to see and doesn't affect the shave.

The Merkur blade you can see is the wrapper and inside paper only. It contained a gunked-up old Schick blade which I dumped.

Taken with crappy cellphone Smile

Enjoy.

[Image: q9EXbYL.jpg]
[Image: EZ2fi3g.jpg]
[Image: fd3M1iA.jpg]
[Image: 83MNnjH.jpg][Image: xte6uHe.jpg]

0 1,624
 04-15-2013, 10:19 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Congratulations, the metal case is certainly nicer than the current offering...

[Image: 2pffWTA.jpg]

91 17,846
 04-15-2013, 10:22 PM
  • Shaun
User Info
(04-15-2013, 10:19 PM)ben74 Wrote: Congratulations, the metal case is certainly nicer than the current offering...

[Image: 2pffWTA.jpg]

The whole thing looks better IMO. Sweeter handle, nicer tines (whatever they are called) and just a bit more 'solid' somehow.

0 1,624
 04-15-2013, 10:39 PM
User Info
Looking good - any chance of a closeup of the head?

I love my (modern) Merkur OC travel-razor, it lets me have a great shave even in the field Biggrin

3 3,572
 04-15-2013, 10:56 PM
  • Shaun
User Info
(04-15-2013, 10:39 PM)WegianWarrior Wrote: Looking good - any chance of a closeup of the head?

I love my (modern) Merkur OC travel-razor, it lets me have a great shave even in the field Biggrin

Crappy cell phone but I'll give it a shot. Here we go, best I can do, sorry.

[Image: u8J5a2E.jpg]
[Image: BcuI0QY.jpg]

0 1,624
 04-15-2013, 11:10 PM
User Info
Thanks Smile It looks like the major difference is the narrower teeth on yours. Should give a great shave Biggrin

3 3,572
 04-15-2013, 11:40 PM
  • Shaun
User Info
My pics show the head with the blade in, meaning the tines look a bit shorter, but comparing caps with the modern version (of the closed comb; I don't have the modern OC), I'd say the older version was made of better material; the cap is thicker/heavier/shinier (underneath) meaning a little more heft. I paid around $30 including postage to Sydney from Ontario, thus cheaper than a modern version and a better, more aesthetically pleasing object IMO. It seems to me the older version is just a better implement, and I do actually like the closed comb travel very much, too.

Any stabs in the dark at a date??

0 1,624
 04-16-2013, 04:23 AM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
Congratulations Shaun on a wonderful purchase and the price was right.

100 12,440