04-16-2013, 04:39 AM
User Info
I'm using up a QCS cream right now, and my lather hasn't been as good as I thought it would be. (I didn't use it much before now.)

I know the cream has been talked about as a top-notch product, so I think I must be doing something wrong. Is there a trick to lathering this?

12 1,243
 04-16-2013, 05:42 AM
  • EHV
  • Milford,PA
User Info
QCS works similar to Mike's for me. It takes a decent amount of water. I need the brush to be a tad wetter and I usually put a bit of water on top of the soap while I do some prep. I load the brush with a lot of product too.

I also prefer to use my synthetic brushes with QCS, Mike's and other similar things. I guess I'm just lazy that way. Biggrin

6 905
 04-16-2013, 07:47 AM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
I just finished working my way through a tub of Portmann Square shaving cream which is rebranded QCS. I found it easiest to use if you put some warm water on top for a minute or so, dump that water off and then load with a mostly dry brush. If using the cream on back-to-back days then you may not need to put any water on top because the moisture content will stay high making it easier to load. Once you have the tips all covered start building your lather adding a little water every ten to fifteen seconds until you see a nice semi-gloss sheen. Work it for another thirty seconds or so to get it nice and consistent and enjoy the shave. I enjoyed face lathering the best, but I say that with every soap/cream. PS- no need for an ASB, the QCS leaves the skin very moisturized.

127 2,393
 04-16-2013, 11:09 AM
  • Arcadies
  • Greeneville, TN
User Info
Use a synthetic or double your loading time, I've found it can get over-hydrated easily and end up being useless..so add water slowly but only after you're sure all product has dissolved..QCS is so thick it often takes more time to fully dissolve and incorporate into lather.
Because of this I double or triple lather building time and only add water after about 30 seconds of mixing.

Also it won't be ultra thick, copious mounds of lather, it will be relatively low volume, but very dense shiny, yogurt like consistency and super slick.

31 1,510
 04-16-2013, 12:52 PM
User Info
I don't think there is a trick per se, other than treat it like a soap rather than a cream. I took some lathering pics here.

30 275