04-16-2013, 07:06 AM
User Info
This is my first post here, although, I have been DE wet shaving for years. I am a semi-active member of another shaving forum but have been recently checking out the community here and have found a wealth on info and decided to join and participate. Anyway, thats enough of an introduction, on to my question.

Unlikely many I have avoided the razor acquisition bug. Early on (after starting on a Merkur HD) I bought a Progress (upgraded it to a Mergress XL a couple years ago) and have been so happy with it at the 3 setting that I havent felt the need to buy other razors. I dabbled a little and tried a DE89 and Futur, but for all practice purposes my Mergress @3 is/was perfect. Until now.

For some odd reason I am very tempted by the new breed of stainless razors. Maybe its "the grass is always greener" or maybe its the aesthetics. Regardless, I want to try stainless, but I dont know where to start. I know that the Feather is too mild for me. I find that I get irritation and razor burn if I dial my Mergress down to 1 or 2. The 5 setting is too aggressive. The 4 setting is great for 4+ days of growth and 3 is perfect for everything else.

That was a lot of drivel for a specific question: Knowing that I think the Mergress @3 is perfect, which stainless should I try? Based on Samjax's shootout (here) I am looking at the Weber and ATT Titan/Atlas with a M1 or R1 base plate, but would like to lean on your collective experience.

0 3
 04-16-2013, 07:23 AM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
First off welcome to The Shave Nook. We are glad you found us and hope you find this forum enjoyable as well as informative. Stainless steel razors are the rage today for double edge wet shavers. My experience has been with iKons,Tradere,Feather AS and Above The Tie(ATT). The most aggressive for me was the ATT H1 but it was a great shaver. I understand the ATT R1(regular) is very nice. Those razors are not cheap at $185 but easy to sell if you don't like it. For quality and price point I like the iKon Deluxe standard bar which some guys consider aggressive but I don't. The iKon Deluxe open comb you would think should be more aggressive but its not(go figure). I have not heard enough opinions on the new Feather AS-2 because not too many guys have them and the price is a whopping $234. So its a little confusing regarding stainless steel razors but at least its not like going to the dentist.
Best of luck

100 12,444
 04-16-2013, 07:29 AM
  • EHV
  • Milford,PA
User Info
Welcome!!!

No drivel, all pertinent facts IMO. Smile

IMO, for what you mention, I'd say that you really can't go wrong with the Weber. If you want a tad more aggressive than the Weber, the ATT,(either handle based on preference) and the R1 baseplate. As you know, the cost difference between the two razors is significant.

For me, depending on the way my face feels or the amount of growth, both of the above razors respond terrifically to blade changes. A Feather or an SI when something more serious is needed and an Astra SP or Supermax Superplatinum when a bit less is warranted. Both razors are great with the whole gamut of blades for me.

To add Feather= milder, Ikon=more aggressive.

Please report back after your choice!

Eric

6 905
 04-16-2013, 07:51 AM
  • Snuff
  • Belgium
User Info
also welcome,

If you have trouble with your Mergress on 1 and 2 then I wouldn't go for the Weber or the new Feather, the Tradere SB might be just a little less mild but I think you might better look at some of the other Stainless Steel ones like Ikon or ATT (don't have any experience myself with these).

27 1,296
 04-16-2013, 09:14 AM
User Info
The Weber & the ATT M1 are both excellent choices.

YMMV, but I get a slightly closer, smoother shave with the ATT M1.

Your other option would be the Ikon Open Comb (the Safety Bar version is too aggressive imho).

47 1,112
 04-16-2013, 09:52 AM
User Info
if you want something very unconventional, consider the Pils. it is the only SS that i have tried. i find it to be a very efficient razor and would say that it is about as aggressive as my Progress on setting 3. the Pils is very head heavy, has a long and somewhat thin handle, and holds the blade flatter than other razors requiring a different angle when shaving. i think it is a great razor but it does not appeal to everyone.

using extrapolation and deduction, i would say that my Merkur HD is about like my Progress on setting 2-3, and have heard Weber owners say that the Weber is like a SS version of the Merkur HD as far as how it shaves. so the Weber may be pretty close to what you are looking for as far as level of aggressiveness, also.

3 69
 04-16-2013, 09:52 AM
User Info
Hello and welcome to the forum. For me the Weber DLC is pretty much equivalent in mildness to the Feather AS-D1. I suspect you would be happier with an iKon or a Tradere.

184 12,003
 04-16-2013, 09:57 AM
User Info
My thoughts on the subject, based on my experience:

I found the Weber to be very similar to Merkur's fixed head (and even the Lord L6 for that matter). The handle is heavier and grippier so it would add some weight. I wasn't that impressed and off to bst it went. I think the Progress is the better shaver.

Comes the Tradere SB into the picture and the story changes. My favorite DE by a wide margin. It is a different feel and different angle but once you dial it down, coupled with an Astra SP and it does not get much better than that, at least not for me, save maybe for the Cobra Classic (it is a different beast).

The build quality of Tradere is impeccable, which is partly why you pay the premium. You even feel it when you screw in the head into the handle, very smooth finish down to the threads.

I have not tried the other stainless steel razors and don't feel the urge to either. In any case if you do get one, do not leave a wet blade inside the razor. Blades rust, and the rusty water tend to stick very hard to steel - a royal pain to clean, close to impossible with the weber's unpolished surface and plenty hard even with the Tradere's polished surface. So take into account removing the blade after each shave.

6 808
 04-17-2013, 10:39 AM
User Info
Thanks for the input. I am taking a much stronger look at the Tradere now, but I am attracted to the Weber price and the ATT return policy. Like everything is a YMMV issue, I guess I just need to start trying them.

0 3
 04-18-2013, 06:59 AM
User Info
I went down the same path in the Autumn of 2012 and again in the Spring of 2013. I finally decided upon a Gillette Fatboy and a Cobra Classic. Both are plated brass and I am happy.

Anything but potmetal!!!! Those won't last a lifetime and surely won't become heirlooms to be passed on to your descendants.

(04-16-2013, 07:06 AM)ATL Jack Wrote: Maybe its "the grass is always greener" or maybe its the aesthetics.

3 244
 04-20-2013, 01:41 PM
  • YMMV
  • Europe
User Info
I like Merkur 34 and 33 a lot, and that is the main reason that I am thinking of getting a Weber razor -people here say is comparable to these heads. The price is good too.

0 41