04-16-2013, 09:19 PM
  • Tonality
  • Attempted Soap Sabbatical
  • Boston
User Info
Hey all,

As some already know, I'm headed to Transylvania this summer for a Biological Anthropology workshop/field school. During my two months there, I'll have weekends to explore, plus nearly a week beforehand in Budapest sightseeing.

I have seen that we have at least a couple members from the area, and maybe others who have been through before. As someone with very little knowledge of there area, I'm looking for recommendations for great sites, stores, and of course, shaving items!

Thanks to Oversaturn I already have the Flaschner Kálmán Budapest shop and a visit to a Mossmans on my list for shaving stuff, and of course a trip to Dracula's castle for one day or weekend. I would kick myself for not doing something super touristy but fun like that!

Anyone have some recommendations for other worthwhile places to visit?

35 1,732
 04-16-2013, 09:28 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Anthony, I hope you will share lots of pics of your adventures! Shaving ADs have destroyed my travel budget and I must now vacation vicariously...

91 17,795
 04-16-2013, 09:45 PM
  • Tonality
  • Boston
User Info
(04-16-2013, 09:28 PM)ben74 Wrote: Anthony, I hope you will share lots of pics of your adventures! Shaving ADs have destroyed my travel budget and I must now vacation vicariously...

I plan on taking TONS of pictures!

Fortunately I'm a student, so this trip is courtesy of the government... Until I graduate at least! Worth it though for the valuable experience and knowledge I will gain from the workshop.

35 1,732
 04-16-2013, 11:12 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Anthony, you should get in touch with Béla (fonthunter). He lives in Budapest.

http://shavenook.com/user-fonthunter

173 23,486
 04-16-2013, 11:22 PM
User Info
I find Wikitravel a good source of information before I go places:
Budapest
Transylvania

Enjoy your travels Biggrin

3 3,550
 04-17-2013, 01:47 AM
User Info
If you are going to travel through Hungary, do a trip to the city of Székesfehérvár.
In that city, there is the main shop of Flaschner Kálmán - bigger and better than the Budapest one.

Here's a small glimpse of what you may find: http://pamacsespenge.blog.hu/2010/07/13/...sesbarlang

2 5,527
 04-17-2013, 02:41 PM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
Anthony, I was in Budapest in 1989 and stayed in one hotel on the Buda side and another on the Pest side. The two sides are very different geographically and the city is a great one to explore. Go up to the Fisherman's Bastion for a beautiful view of the river and the Parliament building. Take a walk across the Chain Bridge, go into the Buda Hills, and while this may sound strange, if you get the chance take a ride on Line 1 of the Budapest Metro. That line is the second oldest electrified subway in the world (second only to one in London) and I believe the original stations have been preserved as much as possible so they may look pretty much as they did in 1896. The last stop will leave you at City Park and Heroes' Square. This is just scratching the surface. Look on line and/or get a guidebook before going to familiarize yourself with all there is to see and do.

I'm looking forward to some great photos. May the conference be everything you hope for and just have fun. Smile

2 11,211
 05-25-2013, 12:11 PM
  • Tonality
  • Boston
User Info
I've just discovered a line of AXE aftershave lotions, supposedly from Hungary? Can anyone confirm that I can find these in Hungarian drug stores? They sound awful fun to have on hand.

35 1,732
 07-10-2013, 02:16 AM
  • Tonality
  • Boston
User Info
Hello from Odorheiu, Transylvania!

It's been an incredible trip so far and I am learning so much in my Biological Anthropology field school! Unfortunately I am stuck at the hotel with a sinus infection from the onslaught of seasonal allergies that hit me while excavating in the field, but I got some antibiotics and should hopefully be back out tomorrow.

I figured I would take the time to make a small update for those interested. I'm working out some sort of digital album for my entire trip, so unfortunately pictures will come later.

I spent 5 days with 5 other members of the field school in Budapest exploring the beautiful city and eating some incredible food. We then met up with the 13 or so others at the Budapest train station and took the red eye to Transylvania! After two years in eastern New Mexico this area seems like heaven. It's so lush and green and mountainous!

My days are filled with osteology lectures in the morning and field work in the afternoon, which will change to full time lab work next week analyzing infant and prenantal skeletal remains from the 15th century. What I am learning here will be extremely helpful in my future career and academic endeavors and I couldn't be happier!

Of course, some of you want to know what kind of shaving gear I have found, so here ya go! I've spent a grand total of about $15-$20 US Dollars so far. I did see one Muhle safety razor for sale here in town, too!

[Image: b1tRp5hl.jpg]

See ya!

35 1,732
 07-10-2013, 07:00 AM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
Beautiful places, beautiful score. I am jealous of your trip Biggrin

88 4,233
 07-10-2013, 09:31 AM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
Anthony, it's great to hear from you and I hope you get rid of that sinus infection in a hurry. We'll all look forward to those photos when you have them up.

I have the Figaró shaving cream, though in a green box. It was very inexpensive, as I recall, and not a bad little cream at all. Enjoy all of your goodies as well as the remainder of your trip. Smile

2 11,211
 07-10-2013, 09:34 AM
User Info
Thanks for the update Anthony. It all sounds amazing, well except for the sinus infection. Feel better soon and enjoy the trip. I look forward to seeing the album when it's done.

31 7,912
 07-10-2013, 08:24 PM
  • Tonality
  • Boston
User Info
Freddy, the Figaro cream makes me a little nervous as formaldehyde is listed as an ingredient. I didn't notice before I bought it. Good thing they were dirt cheap.

35 1,732
 07-10-2013, 10:00 PM
User Info
Labelling procedures in the EU are different than the US. While its listed on products were you now are and may or may not be a reason for concern, if you were in the US you just wouldn't know it was even there*. Which is better??

* usually labeled in its component parts, I believe.

It's used to stop the growth of bacteria and yuckies in the soap.

5 410
 07-10-2013, 11:40 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Anthony, glad the trip is going well and it exceeds your expectations. Hope the sinus thing clears up, nothing more miserable than that to put a damper on things. Also looking forward to the album when done.

On a side note, what shaving goodies did you pack for the trip?

Wishing you continued enjoyment and success.

173 23,486
 07-10-2013, 11:47 PM
  • Tonality
  • Boston
User Info
Johnny, I ended up bringing my Fatboy, some Polsilvers, and my FS faux agate 2-band. Everything else I bought while here. Oh and some Knize Ten EdT for the ladies!

35 1,732
 07-10-2013, 11:58 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Don't tell the young lady back home about "the ladies". Biggrin

173 23,486
 07-11-2013, 07:12 AM
  • Tonality
  • Boston
User Info
About that... I'll be moving the same day as I return. I think that's enough said. But for now I'll enjoy the trip!

35 1,732
 07-11-2013, 07:34 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
(07-11-2013, 07:12 AM)Tonality Wrote: About that... I'll be moving the same day as I return. I think that's enough said. But for now I'll enjoy the trip!

Sorry to hear that. Have a great time in Europe.

173 23,486
 07-11-2013, 07:43 AM
User Info
Anthony, great to hear you are enjoying the trip and good luck with everything! Life will always continue on, my friend, so enjoy! Smile

75 20,883