04-16-2013, 11:17 PM
User Info
I know, I know... dabbling in the Dark Side. But how can we see where the light comes from unless we wander in darkness?

Before I started enjoying my shaves, I was pulling my whiskers off with a Gillette Sensor I was given while in Boot Camp. Never got a really good shave with it - or with any of the electric shavers I've tried over the years - but I persevered for lack of anything better (growing a full beard is just not an option). Last summer I decided to revisit the Sensor, to see if it was as bad as I remembered it to be... having spotted it in the back of the cabinet again, I decided to write up a short review:

The Sensor is a mild razor - which is good, since I needed four passes and some touch ups to get close to the DFS I get from two passes and no touch ups with my DE razors. Honestly Gillette; if this is supposed to be "the best a man can get" then I suggest you all hand in your man-cards post haste. Half an hour after shaving I found myself longing for a real shave - and to add insult to injury I got shave bumps again; something I always had before switching to DE and haven't been bothered with since I switched.

I hate shave-bumps with a passion - it used to be because the next shave would slice them open, meaning I'll dislike shaving even more. These days I hate them because it means I have to take a couple of days pause from shaving... things change even if they stay the same.

On the other hand, the shave was better than I got from the Sensor before I switched to DE, so I guess it highlights the benefits of a good prep and a great lather.

On the upside, the handle is rock solid and near indestructible; it has lasted twenty years so far and still see regular use when my Better Half do her legs. I guess it highlights the Gillette Idea; they will pretty much give you the razor, and then gouge you on the cartridges. Which is fitting in it's own way, since the cartridges will gouge your face just as efficiently as Gillette will gouge your wallet...

Bottom line? Rock solid razor, not so much blades. Bad for your wallet and face - Your Mileage May Vary off course, but please don't skimp on the prep-work if you go for cartridges.

3 3,569
 04-17-2013, 05:41 AM
  • GWHunter
  • Alleged rookie
  • Central Arkansas
User Info
This is exactly what I used for over twenty years and I'm not going back.

5 40
 04-17-2013, 07:26 AM
User Info
A good friend of mine swears by the sensors. He is from India and has a rather course beard. He says that they last him a month, but he asks his family to send him blades from India because the ones he gets here are not sharp and don't last very long. His secret is leave the razor with the blade in a glass of water.

That is his take.
My take is that he is most of the time rather scruffy, I think he shaves once in 3 days and even when he does, that does not look like a good shave at all... but he is happy so that is what's important...

6 808
 04-17-2013, 11:23 AM
  • njpaddy
  • Central New Jersey
User Info
I used a Sensor for many years. For 1-2 years I switched to a Quattro (I skipped the 3 blades), then back to the Sensor. About 10 months after switching to a DE, I went on a short vacation and took my old Sensor and a can of gel to travel light. Big mistake. The first shave was so bad I tossed the Sensor and didn't shave until I got home. That was about 3 years ago and I haven't looked at a cart since.

0 204
 04-17-2013, 11:27 AM
User Info
Hmm. I'd disagree with the comments above. I actually think the sensor is a good razor providing you have a good soap and brush to prep you well.

Getting a close comfortable shave is child's play. I have one and use it from time to time, if feels a bit sterile but its so easy to get a great shave.

7 1,179
 04-17-2013, 11:37 AM
  • Attila
  • The Hungarian Blade
  • Vancouver, Canada
User Info
As always YMMV applies. In the past when I did use them, I myself did get decent shaves from the sensor for the first couple of uses but not as close or as "tug free" as I do with my best DE razors now. I feel no need to use them anymore, but to each his own.

14 870
 04-17-2013, 12:26 PM
User Info
I had not touched a Sensor Excel since the mid 1990's and a Mac 3 since 2001...up until November of 2012.

After one shave with both of them, I trashed both handles and blade packs and never looked back. Ugh.

3 244
 04-17-2013, 12:34 PM
  • MikeGJ
  • Grand Junction, CO
User Info
Best of the cartridges.

I still use them when I travel by air.

You can get the Sensor two blade refills at dollar stores at reasonable prices, made in Germany.

1 107
 04-17-2013, 12:49 PM
User Info
Best cartridge for me when traveling is a Schick Injector.

3 244
 04-17-2013, 01:41 PM
User Info
Great thread, Hans, as these work for some gents and i hope they continue to have good shaves with them.
i don't have any good things to say about them, though.

75 20,883
 04-17-2013, 01:59 PM
User Info
(04-17-2013, 12:49 PM)lamewing Wrote: Best cartridge for me when traveling is a Schick Injector.
They let you take it as a carry on item?

6 808
 04-17-2013, 11:00 PM
User Info
As I said, YMMV. But to me the worst thing about cartridges - apart from giving me a poor, miserable shave - is the sheer cost of buying them. Double so in Norway - the cheapest ten-pack I can find (online) in Norway costs 149.00 NOK, while I can get two five-packs of green Astras for 24.00 NOK...

3 3,569
 04-17-2013, 11:59 PM
User Info
Well, I have been shaving with Sensor Excel since last 9 years and was getting DFS everytime.

Switched to DE (Feather TTO as that was the only good one available in the supermarket here) day before and had my first BBS today.

Just love the DE, but will keep the cart for travel for a quick DFS.

Cool

4 358
 04-18-2013, 03:13 PM
User Info
Razor is carry on (a blade loaded in the razor seems okay). Blades are in my suitcase. The only place I fly to is Japan so next year I can now take my Cobra Classic ( Biggrin ) and easily get Feather Professional blades if need be!

Who knows really? Last time I flew to Japan I had my Old Timer pocket knife in my backpack and didn't even realize it until I was in Japan 3 days.

(04-17-2013, 01:59 PM)Galhatz Wrote:
(04-17-2013, 12:49 PM)lamewing Wrote: Best cartridge for me when traveling is a Schick Injector.
They let you take it as a carry on item?

3 244
 04-20-2013, 06:34 AM
User Info
i like cartridge razors for travel because if they are lost, not a big deal.

what i don't understand about the Sensor Excel is why i experience more "pull" and "tugging" (which is my main gripe about multiblade cartridges in general) than i do with the Gillette Fusion, which is 5 blade.

3 69
 04-20-2013, 01:58 PM
  • YMMV
  • Europe
User Info
Yep, best of the cartridges, and I still use them when I am in a hurry (much less so) or when I have to travel by air.

0 41
 04-20-2013, 02:55 PM
User Info
When not checking bags (which is typical), The Sensor and Atra are my are my "go to" razors for travel.

24 212
 05-08-2013, 02:07 PM
User Info
Best cart razor I've ever used is the Trac II.

1 283
 05-08-2013, 02:23 PM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
Cartridge razors are not that bad when you compare them to an electric which in my opinion is the worst of the worst and expensive to boot.

100 12,440
 05-08-2013, 02:25 PM
  • OldDog23
  • BeanTown MetroWest
User Info
agree w/regularfella. they had a decent thing going there, they are easy on the skin, and even make scritchy-noises, just like a *real* razor. leaves my old, fragile diabetic skin intact and shave glass-smooth is the norm. When the blades were coming out of Gillette/Poland, they were smooth and very hard-edged. Now they are coming out of Brazil.
I can still get a great shave using a Personna BumpFighter handle paired up w/Wiliknson(formerly from Stuttgart-now from China) carts; do so on occasion when my hide is wanting some extra pampering. (disclaimer: they are mild to a fault) Gillette kinda tossed the baby out with the bath-water when they *improved* things with pivoting and hula-dancing blades.
Wrap-up, I shaved with Sensor/Sensor Excel for years, but upon re-visiting it with today's blades, feel that things kinda went downhill.

0 1,291