04-17-2013, 11:51 AM
User Info
Had my first shave with a Super Iridium blade today.
I must mention westcoastshaving first. I ordered them last Friday, in the pm, and they arrived on Monday morning. Now that's fast!

Back to the blade. I popped a new on into my Tradere SB and during the shave I felt it was very very smooth. The deception revealed itself after the 3-pass shave. These are *very* sharp blades, probably same as Feather. I find Feather blades a bit harsh, especially on the first shave, to a point I am not drawn to try them again. This was one very close shave, no irritation but I do feel I over did it a bit.
I am not sure if such sharpness is what I need. The Astras in the SB serve me remarkably well. They are sharp enough and pretty smooth on their own. These ones require me to be on guard and I am not sure if the reward is there. Maybe on a milder razor there, the SB is not very aggressive but it does have quite a bit of blade exposure.
Anyway, these are very high quality blades, like a combination of Feather and Astra.

6 808
 04-17-2013, 12:16 PM
  • VT_Hokie
  • 2-Band Bandito
  • Charleston, SC
User Info
These are on my list of things to acquire

13 599
 04-17-2013, 01:26 PM
User Info
For me, the best modern produced DE blade!

75 20,883
 04-17-2013, 01:54 PM
  • RobE
  • NY USA
User Info
I've a pack. Haven't tried 'em yet. Good to know your impressions vis a vis the Feather blades. The Iridiums sound like a good match for the Feather AS-D(x).

17 290
 04-17-2013, 02:27 PM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
The Polsilver Super Iridiums might be Gillettes best blade. I don't go beyond two passes for a very close and irritation free shave.

100 12,445
 04-17-2013, 03:08 PM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
They are on a short list of my favorite blades.

45 3,955
 04-18-2013, 12:04 PM
  • GWHunter
  • Alleged rookie
  • Central Arkansas
User Info
I have recently acquired some SI's. my favorite blade up till now has been a Feather. Maybe I haven't used them enough but the Feather for now still clearly holds the top spot.

I've used them in a few different razors. A Super Adjustable on 9, Tech with shims and a 2011 R41. My moment of revelation came when I got the nerve to shave with a Feather in the R41. On my neck I could hear the whiskers popping off the blade with a tick, tick, tick. I like the SI's they shave good, very good but I just can't find a blade sharper than a Feather. Also I don't find them harsh at all. Even in the R41 I had no cuts, nicks or weepers and no burn with the Clubman.

But back on topic the Super Iridiums are a fine blade. But I'm not sure they are worth the premium price they are going for.

5 40
 04-18-2013, 12:13 PM
  • VT_Hokie
  • 2-Band Bandito
  • Charleston, SC
User Info
Very interesting. I feel the same way about the Feathers, so maybe these wouldn't be an improvement at all?

13 599
 04-18-2013, 12:52 PM
User Info
I decided to skip the shave today. I had very little shadow 20 hours after yesterday's shave and I decided to give my face a rest. I should have stopped at 2-passes with this blade.
I like to shave everyday, so a little bit of shadow in late evening means that by morning, my face is good and ready for the next adventure.

(04-18-2013, 12:04 PM)GWHunter Wrote: I have recently acquired some SI's. my favorite blade up till now has been a Feather. Maybe I haven't used them enough but the Feather for now still clearly holds the top spot.

I've used them in a few different razors. A Super Adjustable on 9, Tech with shims and a 2011 R41. My moment of revelation came when I got the nerve to shave with a Feather in the R41. On my neck I could hear the whiskers popping off the blade with a tick, tick, tick. I like the SI's they shave good, very good but I just can't find a blade sharper than a Feather. Also I don't find them harsh at all. Even in the R41 I had no cuts, nicks or weepers and no burn with the Clubman.

But back on topic the Super Iridiums are a fine blade. But I'm not sure they are worth the premium price they are going for.

To be honest, I feel the same about SI as well as Feather. For my beard and skin, both are too sharp for a comfortable shave.

For me, Astra SPs offer the best balance between sharpness and smoothness, and the price is right as well.

6 808
 04-18-2013, 12:57 PM
User Info
I find the SI sharp enough for a smooth daily shave and not as agressive to my skin as Feathers, specially on their first shaves.

I used them both regularly but tended to use Super Iridium in an unconscious manner so I may say they were my go to blades.

0 89
 04-21-2013, 02:56 AM
User Info
Both the Super Iridium and the Polsilver Super Iridium are extremely sharp, very slightly behind the Feather. I think the smoothness is deceptive and can prompt you into a false state of security.

Yes, the blade is cutting cleanly and effortlessly through your stubble, but while you're busy admiring that you've forgotten that you're using more pressure than you need and have scraped yourself a little raw. At least, that's been my experience when I get slack and don't police myself.

Great blades though. They really smooth out during the second and third shaves, I find them to be a joy to use.

0 123
 04-21-2013, 03:40 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Super Iridiums are my favourite DE blade. Smooth, sharp and long lasting.

91 17,851
 04-21-2013, 05:00 PM
User Info
Super Iridiums are my favorite blade hands down. Gillette silver blue and med preps are great too, but don't take the top spot vs the Iridiums.

I personally don't find them as sharp as Feathers, but they are definitely sharper than Astra SP and just a smooth, which is why I prefer them. That and the little wax spots aren't caked on as much vs Astra.

63 2,128
 04-21-2013, 11:25 PM
User Info
Had a second shave with today with this blade, this time with a milder razor - Schick Krona.
Super smooth shave but alas, I was tempted to go for a 3rd pass and ended up feeling it for a couple of hours later. It wasn't irritation or burn, rather I felt I took off a some skin. I had an hour drive and having the AC directed at my face helped a lot.
But boy, that was one close shave...
I will give it one or two more tries with mild razors (tech/bluetip) to see if I manage to get that close but not too-close shave with them.
Part of me says - why bother ?
Another part says - why not?

6 808
 04-22-2013, 06:35 AM
  • RedRocks
  • Four-Corners, USA
User Info
Polsilver Super Iridiums & Original Iridium Supers are all I use. I have several hundred of each, most likely a lifetime supply for me Shok

Oscroft over on B&B just concluded a test between the two blades & got the same results that many of us have - the blades, for all intents and purposes, are identical.

~Frank

18 271
 04-23-2013, 05:52 AM
User Info
(04-17-2013, 11:51 AM)Galhatz Wrote: Had my first shave with a Super Iridium blade today.
I must mention westcoastshaving first. I ordered them last Friday, in the pm, and they arrived on Monday morning. Now that's fast!

Back to the blade. I popped a new on into my Tradere SB and during the shave I felt it was very very smooth. The deception revealed itself after the 3-pass shave. These are *very* sharp blades, probably same as Feather. I find Feather blades a bit harsh, especially on the first shave, to a point I am not drawn to try them again. This was one very close shave, no irritation but I do feel I over did it a bit.
I am not sure if such sharpness is what I need. The Astras in the SB serve me remarkably well. They are sharp enough and pretty smooth on their own. These ones require me to be on guard and I am not sure if the reward is there. Maybe on a milder razor there, the SB is not very aggressive but it does have quite a bit of blade exposure.
Anyway, these are very high quality blades, like a combination of Feather and Astra.

I'm a big fan of Astras, sounds like I need to give them a try.

0 84
 04-23-2013, 06:58 PM
User Info
(04-21-2013, 03:40 AM)ben74 Wrote: Super Iridiums are my favourite DE blade. Smooth, sharp and long lasting.

Absolutely agree! They are the only blades I use.

3 543
 04-24-2013, 01:41 AM
User Info
(04-22-2013, 06:35 AM)RedRocks Wrote: Oscroft over on B&B just concluded a test between the two blades & got the same results that many of us have - the blades, for all intents and purposes, are identical.

~Frank

I would tend to agree with the statement that the blades are identical, but somehow, I can always get 2-3 more shaves out of the original Super Iridium than the Polsilver version. I really have no idea whether or not this is entirely within my own head or not, but it's always the case when comparing these two blades.

0 123
 04-29-2013, 09:40 AM
User Info
(04-21-2013, 03:40 AM)ben74 Wrote: Super Iridiums are my favourite DE blade. Smooth, sharp and long lasting.

+1

3 79
 06-10-2013, 08:21 AM
  • TRBeck
  • Unregistered
User Info
My most recent Iridium lasted 8 or 9 shaves (I lost count), which is unheard of for me. I must say that this exceeds previous experience and may swing me around to these over the Medical Preps. Impressive.