04-07-2012, 10:51 AM
  • EHV
  • Milford,PA
User Info
I was reading the description on the Razor Blades and More site and there is mention of the Personna Labs as being "branded,coated and oiled- individually wrapped".
I've never seen the description of a blade being "oiled" for any other blade nor have I ever come across a blade that seems oily or having been oiled from the factory.

I've used the Personna Med Preps which don't have that description and don't appear to be oiled plus the dozen or so other blades that I've tried don't seem to be oiled.
Does anyone have any further insight into this issue?

Thanks!

6 905
 04-07-2012, 11:19 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
I think its part of a process but they remove the oil once they get wrapped.Im trying to find a video,which I think it showed that process...

86 7,123
 04-08-2012, 12:29 PM
User Info
Well, the Med Preps are specifically not oiled. In fact they undergo additional washing to clean them of any residues.

It makes no sense to me that a SS blade would need to be oiled. Maybe someone writing the blurb misunderstood.

32 6,308
 04-09-2012, 10:28 AM
  • EHV
  • Milford,PA
User Info
Thanks guys. It makes no sense to me to oil a blade either Brian.
Teiste, I do recall a show that had a segment on making razor blades. I think it's called "How it's Made" and I'm going to look for that video.

6 905
 04-09-2012, 11:12 AM
User Info
Could it be that they are tempered in oil, as opposed to water or another liquid? My paternal grandfather was a smith, and I remember that he would use oil to temper blades with while using water to temper 'regular' work pieces.

As for the video; is this the one you had in mind?

3 3,558
 04-09-2012, 11:14 AM
  • kav
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
'Oiling a blade' is a knifemaking term. It refers to oil used to clean blade blanks as they are sharpened to carry away removed stock. It's the same idea as engine oil to suspend particles that can score metal.

2 3,175
 04-11-2012, 10:27 AM
  • EHV
  • Milford,PA
User Info
WW, yes, that's the video I was thinking of, thank you!

Kav2, that shows me how ignorant I am to that whole process.
I appreciate the definition and the analogy!

6 905
 04-11-2012, 10:47 AM
  • kav
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
EHV
It could just as well be simple advertising hype that means nothing except ' oh wow! they oil their blades and brand X doesn't' so they must be better.

2 3,175