04-18-2013, 06:18 PM
  • ojinsa
  • San Antonio
User Info
I've seen some great dens around here, so I thought I would try and set one up for myself. I don't yet have a space figured out for frags, soaps or straight razors, but here's the beginning of my den.

[Image: 4adapenu.jpg]

[Image: ute5u4e3.jpg]

27 860
 04-18-2013, 06:47 PM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
Very nice collection...look like solid razor holders...clever idea.

6 1,913
 04-18-2013, 06:48 PM
User Info
Very nice den with some beautiful brushes.

Thanks for sharing, Oscar!

14 211
 04-18-2013, 06:50 PM
  • ojinsa
  • San Antonio
User Info
Thanks fellas! I like some of the ideas I see on here and next task is to figure out where to put soaps...

27 860
 04-18-2013, 06:51 PM
  • Hanzo
  • Oakland, California
User Info
Brother can you spare a Morris and Fondran?Biggrin Just kidding, but you typify the caliber of wetshaver at TSN. To me a simple den is a tweezerman, tech , and VDH not $3000 of brushes. lol Needless to say , great den.Clap

15 541
 04-18-2013, 06:57 PM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
Very nice! I'm jealous of your brush collection.

45 3,955
 04-18-2013, 07:02 PM
  • ojinsa
  • San Antonio
User Info
Trust me, SWMBO takes an inventory of brushes and if she sees more one day to the next, Katie bar the door...

27 860
 04-18-2013, 10:54 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Oscar, very nice set up. My wife counts after shave bottles on the shelf. I hide over half of my brushes.

173 23,553
 04-19-2013, 01:49 AM
  • jfmii
  • Pittsburgh PA
User Info
Great den . I like your razor stands.

19 414
 04-19-2013, 08:43 AM
  • CRAusmus
  • Going from Texas to Georgia
User Info
Love the razor stands. Where did you get them?

14 1,177
 04-19-2013, 08:47 AM
User Info
It may be "Simple Den"....... but that is a wonderful display you certainly have an eye and a great selection of Brushes & Razors Enjoy.

Charles U.K

0 2,339
 04-19-2013, 09:12 AM
  • RedRocks
  • Four-Corners, USA
User Info
(04-18-2013, 07:02 PM)ojinsa Wrote: Trust me, SWMBO takes an inventory of brushes and if she sees more one day to the next, Katie bar the door...

SWMBO doesn't bother me (much) about shave gear and I don't bother her (at all) about scrapbooking/shoes/jewelry/hair do's/etc. Cool

~Frank

18 271
 04-19-2013, 10:05 AM
  • ojinsa
  • San Antonio
User Info
(04-19-2013, 08:43 AM)CRAusmus Wrote: Love the razor stands. Where did you get them?

I got them at the Container Store (my wife is an organizer...). They're oak toothbrush stands and they're pretty hefty.

(04-18-2013, 10:54 PM)Johnny Wrote: Oscar, very nice set up. My wife counts after shave bottles on the shelf. I hide over half of my brushes.

Ha, Johnny it sounds like you and I have read from the same play book. I keep my NIB "backups" in my jacket closet. It's an elaborate dance we do - they're hidden, openly, in an obvious spot, and my wife doesn't look out of fear it would provoke a "spirited discussion"....

27 860
 04-19-2013, 06:17 PM
User Info
Might hafta check the container store. Thanks for the idea!

2 106
 04-22-2013, 02:20 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Wonderful set up Oscar.
Similar scenario with my wife, it's not in her face she doesn't go searching or ask questions...

91 17,874
 04-22-2013, 04:11 AM
  • Snuff
  • Belgium
User Info
If that's the beginning of your den then I want to see pictures when it's finished, very nice!

27 1,297
 04-22-2013, 05:12 AM
User Info
I am rarely politically correct, but I'll do my best as I am truly curious...

I can understand owning 2 brushes....maybe even 3 if one is a travel brush. But why do people collect so many brushes (and razors as well)?

I understand the RAD bug, but I don't understood the collection bug. I have bought several razors, but I only kept a couple I will use.

Why keep thousands of dollars tied up in razors, brushes, etc. instead of keeping what you only really need?

And, yes, it is a pretty collection.

3 244
 04-22-2013, 07:00 AM
  • ojinsa
  • San Antonio
User Info
Thanks for the kind words y'all!

(04-22-2013, 05:12 AM)lamewing Wrote: I am rarely politically correct, but I'll do my best as I am truly curious...

I can understand owning 2 brushes....maybe even 3 if one is a travel brush. But why do people collect so many brushes (and razors as well)?

I understand the RAD bug, but I don't understood the collection bug. I have bought several razors, but I only kept a couple I will use.

Why keep thousands of dollars tied up in razors, brushes, etc. instead of keeping what you only really need?

And, yes, it is a pretty collection.

I don't think you need to censor yourself with this question. It's actually a good, and valid question, and the reason why, for me, is because I like collecting and using the gear. I like the differences, subtle or obvious, in the gear, as well as the nuances and work that goes in to each item. It's really that simple.

I suppose if I were to dig a bit deeper as to why I like to collect it, I think it has to do with the fact that there are some things that have piqued my interest due to their rarity, or condition given their old age (I have some straight razors that are nearly 200 years old and shave as well as they did before the industrial revolution), or there are some things that are just too shiny and pretty to ignore and thus I must get it, or the hype is just too much to bear so I break down and get the hyped product. My collection did not start out as a a collection, nor did I even intend to have a collection, but over time, I would receive gifts from loved ones or I would buy a new razor, or a new brush, or soap,etc., as I learned more about my own tastes.

The above said, there are times that I find myself feeling a bit sheepish for buying these things, or even getting mad at the lack of availability of this or that razor or brush, but then I come back to the same spot as before of really enjoying the collection and using the products. I agree, there is merit to the idea of keeping only what you need, and it may be a bit decadent to have many items that go unused and keep just because I like the nuanced difference between razors or brushes, but I do like it and thus it follows. Perhaps I will start selling off some of my stuff once I find that one special combination of brush, soap and razor and will no longer appreciate the nuanced differences of the gear and instead become annoyed with them, but until that date, I'll enjoy the pursuit.

27 860
 04-22-2013, 10:29 AM
User Info
Okay. Thanks for the info.

Now, the differences in the razors I understand. Regarding brushes, I see the difference between a boar/badger/ horse. But in each catagory, once you hit a certain level of quality can you tell the difference between a $50.00 badger and a $300 badger brush?

I am not willing to go down THAT path after suffering from a bad case of RAD.

3 244
 07-16-2013, 03:53 PM
  • geezer
  • Menomonie, Western WI
User Info
I am late but I really like the set-up you have. Simple and compact.
~Richard

8 1,190