04-19-2013, 06:00 PM
User Info
Since wet shaving for the last 16 months, I notice I splash around a lot of water in prep, rinsing blades, rinse lather, rinsing mug and on and on. I've been trying various ideas to save water. Much of the time the water is running while I'm splashing water on my face. If I was shaving at work, I could use the lab sink and the foot pedal to use just the amount I need.

I straight razor shave and do use a wet sponge to wipe my blade. I turn the water on at an above trickle amount. I tried using a bowl, reminiscent of the old days, but the water gets filled with soapy water.

Does anyone have some better ideas of how to use less water and not waste water while shaving? Maybe a squirt gun or two bowls of water or...?

21 1,473
 04-19-2013, 06:05 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
Filling the sink doesn't work for you? Just fill it half way, use a little to splash on your face from the tap.

88 4,233
 04-19-2013, 06:21 PM
User Info
Do you rinse your blade in the sink and brush? You still have to rinse the soap out, later. I know it's simple, but I'm not picturing how you use the sink of water.

21 1,473
 04-19-2013, 06:27 PM
User Info
I run water into the sink too. When it reaches the level I want I shut it off until after it's drained. Then I run more to rinse the sink and wipe out the whiskers and soap curds. I rinse the razor in the basin of water to get the lather off of it.

When I worked in the lab I just ran the water to shave, no attempt to conserve. We made (and used) 20 million or so gallons of filtered and chlorinated water a day, and a few extra gallons were meaningless.

32 6,308
 04-19-2013, 06:43 PM
  • vuk
  • Virginia
User Info
I don't fill the sink basin but only run the water when I'm using it. I keep the tap off when building lather & shaving and only turn it on to rinse the razor as needed. It doesn't seem like much.
I think I use the most water when I rinse the brush post shave.

2 501
 04-19-2013, 07:05 PM
User Info
(04-19-2013, 06:43 PM)vuk Wrote: I don't fill the sink basin but only run the water when I'm using it. I keep the tap off when building lather & shaving and only turn it on to rinse the razor as needed. It doesn't seem like much.

+1 This is what i do. i would love to use less water, but living here in Vancouver, we don't usually have an issue with a lack of water unless we have a very, very hot and dry summer, which rarely happens. Good luck to you.

75 20,883
 04-19-2013, 07:06 PM
User Info
(04-19-2013, 06:43 PM)vuk Wrote: I don't fill the sink basin but only run the water when I'm using it. I keep the tap off when building lather & shaving and only turn it on to rinse the razor as needed. It doesn't seem like much.

Yes, that seems to save more water than filling a bowl or basin. I think I'm using too much in rinsing my face. Maybe then a bowl would be in order.

21 1,473
 04-19-2013, 11:19 PM
User Info
Could try using a wet/damp towel stored in a bowl.

Brainstorming here, haven't tried it.

9 2,988