04-19-2013, 11:19 PM
User Info
Hi All,

As I'm practicing my DE Shaving Techniques (it's been about 1.5 months now from freeing myself from the bonds of Disposable Cartridges!), Biggrin I find a couple of areas to be consistent "problem areas" for my shaves, and I was wondering if anyone had advice on tackling them. Specifically:

1. Chin Area - I usually do 3 Passes (With The Grain, Across The Grain, Against The Grain). However, I find that it's difficult to get a "No Pressure / Gentle" Against The Grain when trying to follow the contour of the bottom of my jaw, up and over my Chin.

As a result, I usually still have a bit of stubble and need to do a final "Touch Up Pass" (4th time).

I saw Mantic59 has a Youtube video on some advanced technique he calls the "J Hook", but I can't seem to get the hang of it yet.

2. Upper Lip - And then my Upper Lip area, I usually find going ATG is tough with "No Pressure" (I find my Razor / Blade gets slightly "caught" even with a lot of lather), and I have to do a Touch Up Pass (4th time) here as well.

If you have any advice on tackling these areas (or a video), please let me know.

Thank you! Blush

3 270
 04-19-2013, 11:32 PM
User Info
Get a blade sampler. If it's getting "caught" you may need a different blade. What are you currently using?

2 805
 04-20-2013, 03:06 AM
User Info
+1 on the blade sampler - or do what I did years ago and grow a goatee Tongue

3 3,580
 04-20-2013, 05:39 AM
User Info
I am also having problems on the neck.

I have found that part of that is due to having misinterpreted the grain pattern. Have you mapped your beard's grain?

2 106
 04-20-2013, 10:51 AM
User Info
(04-19-2013, 11:32 PM)sunflake Wrote: Get a blade sampler. If it's getting "caught" you may need a different blade. What are you currently using?

(04-20-2013, 03:06 AM)WegianWarrior Wrote: +1 on the blade sampler - or do what I did years ago and grow a goatee Tongue

Hi sunflake, Wegian,

Thanks for the advice. Smile Yah I was lucky enough to read everyone's helpful advice on Shave Nook before I started DE Shaving, so I bought the largest Sampler Pack from West Coast Shaving. Wink

I'm still working my way through the free pack of Derby's that came with my Edwin Jagger DE89L.

I was taking the advice of sticking with 1 type of Blade and getting used to DE shaving and honing my technique.

Should I move on to another blade first?

(04-20-2013, 05:39 AM)ImGatMan! Wrote: I am also having problems on the neck.

I have found that part of that is due to having misinterpreted the grain pattern. Have you mapped your beard's grain?

Thanks. Yes, I have. Although I can't see the very underside of my jaw-to-chin area very well, I really only have problems trying an ATG in that area.

I'll keep practicing.

3 270
 04-20-2013, 01:13 PM
  • matloffm
  • Culver City, CA
User Info
I had the same problem when I started. When I put a Feather blade in my razor the problem disappeared. Super Iridiums are also very sharp. Good luck.

16 545
 04-20-2013, 05:03 PM
User Info
(04-19-2013, 11:19 PM)shave_rookie Wrote: I saw Mantic59 has a Youtube video on some advanced technique he calls the "J Hook", but I can't seem to get the hang of it yet.

I think on that same video he has a technique he calls "blade buffing." I have a strong jawline, and pretty much the only way I can get that area smooth is with a little blade buffing. I usually do one WTG pass, one XTG pass, then buff any remaining rough spots along the jaw area.

2 129
 04-20-2013, 07:19 PM
User Info
Blade buffing would be a very good option when you are confident enough to try and a smoother and sharper blade would probably help. As Ron mentioned, Super Iridiums are very nice.
Good luck.

75 20,883
 04-21-2013, 02:44 PM
User Info
I was going to suggest blade buffing too. The chin is a problem area for lots of folks, me included. The radius and any creases from age don't help.

By now you have technique, if not perfected, at least you're tuning it in. Time to try different blades. IMO don't use up any blade pack, save some for future testing. Once you get the gist of shaving that's enough of using just one blade. The right blade can make a huge difference in the shave. It's time to find what you like.

You're doing fine.

32 6,309
 04-21-2013, 06:32 PM
User Info
Derbys were one of the worst DE blade I ever used. The places you mention tend to have the coarsest hair, therefore a blade that isn't sharp enough may have trouble. I believe that Derby falls middle of the road when it comes to sharpness.

Try a different blade along with shorter strokes, possibly buffing.

Yeah, I broke down. It's Tapatalk 2 for iPhone.

31 7,914
 04-21-2013, 09:43 PM
User Info
(04-21-2013, 06:32 PM)SharpSpine Wrote: Derbys were one of the worst DE blade I ever used. The places you mention tend to have the coarsest hair, therefore a blade that isn't sharp enough may have trouble. I believe that Derby falls middle of the road when it comes to sharpness.

Try a different blade along with shorter strokes, possibly buffing.

Hi All,

Thanks for the great tips and ideas! Smile

I'll try blade buffing, but not sure if I can master that yet.

And Brian thanks for the tip on the blades. I'll start moving on to another blade in my Sampler Pack and see how that goes.

Thanks~

3 270
 04-22-2013, 02:40 PM
User Info
I could be wrong, but it sounds like you may also have a rather stout beard, similar to mine. Once you get comfortable with your stroke..., look for sharper blades, like SI and Feather. I still use 3 passes with the Feather, and no, I don't get burn.

2 546
 04-22-2013, 07:20 PM
  • savagejoerude
  • If you ain't a LOSER, you ain't livin'!!
  • New Orleans USA
User Info
Also I'll throw one more thing at you. Are you prepping your beard properly. You MUST hydrate your beard to the fullest. Do a pre shave wash. Make sure your lather has just enough water. And work your lather into your beard. Take your time here. For me once I got on a solid prep routine the rest worked its self out. Good Luck and Happy Shaves !!!

5 1,151
 04-22-2013, 08:07 PM
User Info
(04-22-2013, 02:40 PM)PanchoVilla Wrote: I could be wrong, but it sounds like you may also have a rather stout beard, similar to mine. Once you get comfortable with your stroke..., look for sharper blades, like SI and Feather. I still use 3 passes with the Feather, and no, I don't get burn.

(04-22-2013, 07:20 PM)savagejoerude Wrote: Also I'll throw one more thing at you. Are you prepping your beard properly. You MUST hydrate your beard to the fullest. Do a pre shave wash. Make sure your lather has just enough water. And work your lather into your beard. Take your time here. For me once I got on a solid prep routine the rest worked its self out. Good Luck and Happy Shaves !!!

Thanks Bob, savagejoerude!

Yah. I have finally decided to move on from the Derby! (Excited!) Biggrin I saved some Derbys for a look back later, but I'll be moving on to another brand of blades and trying that.

And thanks for the reminder: I'm definitely trying to prep myself before shaving (making sure I have enough hydration, and making sure the area is clean, etc.).

I'll keep on practicing.

3 270
 04-23-2013, 08:44 AM
User Info
Hi All,

OK, it's time to try a New Blade (style)! Smile Thanks to everyone's advice and encouragement, I figure I'd ping you all to see which one I should try next (out of my Blade Sampler Pack):

(Up until now, I've only been using the Derby Extras that came with my Edwin Jagger.) So here's what I have in the Sampler:

* Personna Platinum
* Shark (Super Stainless)
* Shark (Super Chrome)
* Dorco Stainless "New Platinum" ST300
* Dorco Stainless "New Platinum" ST-301
* Gillette Nacet Stainless
* LORD Platinum
* Sharp Hi Chromium Durablade
* Bic Chrome Platinum
* Wilkinson Sword
* Gillette 7 'O Clock SharpEdge (Yellow)
* Astra Superior Platinum
* Super Max Stainless
* Merkur Super Platinum
* Feather Hi-Stainless
* Crystal Stainless Steel

Phew!

I know from the threads I've read that Feathers are super sharp, so I'll stay away from them till later. Tongue

Any Blades in this pack that are just pure garbage?

And should I "save the best for last"?

Thanks!

3 270