04-20-2013, 09:48 AM
User Info
Hi lads, Geordie Sam here,
Back in 1973 (sadly It's a long time ago) I went to my first (and best) gig ever,The Who,Newcastle Odeon Theatre, they did 3 nights,Townshend smashed 3 Les Pauls,2 the first night,1 the third night unfortunately I saw them the SECOND night.I have seen them loads since then, going in June to see them again in Newcastle.Any other GREAT bands/gigs people have seen.
Geordie Sam.

0 79
 04-20-2013, 08:38 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Some bands that I have seen live over the years:

The Who
Jefferson Airplane
Beach Boys
Led Zepplin
Beatles
Rolling Stones
Santana
Richy Havens
Jimmy Hendricks
Crosby, Stills, Nash, & Young
Janice Joplin
Yardbirds

This is just a few of the groups I've seen live. I guess I should set down and try to remember and make a list. I've seen some amazing groups/bands/performers in my lifetime.

173 23,546
 04-21-2013, 08:20 AM
User Info
My all time favourite....THE WHO.

from a pure band standpoint, they had 3 of the best musicians and chemistry ever.

One of if not the best Bassists, Drummers and Lead Guitarists.

Obviously LZ is up there too and have similar make ups and comparissons to "Best Drummers and Guitarists"..

my vote still goes to The Who.

[Image: TheWhoManchester1966v31.jpg]

8 2,718
 04-21-2013, 09:58 AM
User Info
(04-21-2013, 08:20 AM)Bruce Wrote: My all time favourite....THE WHO.

from a pure band standpoint, they had 3 of the best musicians and chemistry ever.

One of if not the best Bassists, Drummers and Lead Guitarists.

Obviously LZ is up there too and have similar make ups and comparissons to "Best Drummers and Guitarists"..

my vote still goes to The Who.

[Image: TheWhoManchester1966v31.jpg]
Bruce,as I said I first saw them in 73, they were touring Quadrophenia there was a problem with the backing tapes for "quad" and Townshend just "lost it" he took it out on the guitars,and Bob Pridden. (the sound man)
Talking of sound,I have NEVER seen a LOUDER band EVER than The Who, they had scaffolding going up to the ceiling on both sides of the stage,jam packed with amps, in many ways it was TOO LOUD.
Also saw zep in 75 and to be honest (imho) they can't hold a candle to The Who,the only major act I havn't seen is the "Stones" and that's because I'm NOT a fan at all,I think they are VERY sloppy live.
Geordie Sam.

0 79
 04-21-2013, 10:18 AM
User Info
looks like we have similar tastes. i would have loved to see THE WHO in their prime in the late 60's early 70's.

always been a LZ fan too, but their live stuff and sound always left me feeling a bit underwhelmed. early stones I can take, but not a fan of their stuff overall.

Roger and Pete came thru my city back in 06 and we were row 4 for them...even as old as they are, they still rocked and Pete lost it at the sound man here, as they were having issues...he was swearing his head off when he came out to fix a few things here and there.

8 2,718
 04-21-2013, 11:35 AM
  • savagejoerude
  • If you ain't a LOSER, you ain't livin'!!
  • New Orleans USA
User Info
1st concert May 14, 1973. My 13th birthday ---Led Zepplin---. Started playing bass the next day..... Others that stand out are Rush (7 times,) Aerosmith(3), Rolling Stones, Jethro Tull(2), Journey, Alice Cooper(2), Peter Frampton, ZZ Top(3), Foreigner, Ozzy, J. Geils Band, Foghat, etc., etc.,. I've had the pleasure to open for Iron Butterfly, Rare Earth, Frampton, 38 Special, The Romantics, Joan Jett....

5 1,151
 04-21-2013, 12:45 PM
User Info
Back in the day, I had seen Journey, Van Halen, Doobie Brothers, REO Speedwagon, J Geils band, Marshal Tucker band.

Still kick myself for not seeing Pink Floyd. Others I wish I would have seen are Lynard Skynard, Tom Petty, Aerosmith, Kansas, Rolling Stones, The Who and ZZ Top.

31 1,800
 04-21-2013, 12:46 PM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
I've seen the San Diego Symphony. Does that count? Wink

2 11,211
 04-21-2013, 02:06 PM
User Info
(04-21-2013, 11:35 AM)savagejoerude Wrote: 1st concert May 14, 1973. My 13th birthday ---Led Zepplin---. Started playing bass the next day..... Others that stand out are Rush (7 times,) Aerosmith(3), Rolling Stones, Jethro Tull(2), Journey, Alice Cooper(2), Peter Frampton, ZZ Top(3), Foreigner, Ozzy, J. Geils Band, Foghat, etc., etc.,. I've had the pleasure to open for Iron Butterfly, Rare Earth, Frampton, 38 Special, The Romantics, Joan Jett....
Youv'e got to expand on the "I've had the pleasure to open for" surel'y.
Geordie Sam.

0 79
 04-21-2013, 07:32 PM
User Info
One of the most memorable shows I attended was when I saw The Allman Brothers at Walnut Creek Amphitheater in Raleigh, NC. I know some folks and had connections and ended up with a VIP pass. The show's about to start and Kirk, the road manager, tells us he has some chairs set up off to the side of the stage, and slightly behind, for us. I start to follow but the girl I was with (part of the connection) grabs me, tells me to wait, then leads me the other way. She ends up leading me to sit on some stage equipment, sitting directly to the side, not 20 feet from the bass player. We were on stage, in front of 17,000 fans, enjoying the show...what a trip! Damn we had a great time!

I've had front row sets for them at the Beacon Theater in NYC, and at Northrup Auditorium in Minneapolis.

0 836
 04-21-2013, 07:52 PM
User Info
Wow, looking at these posts I can see that I am in an entirely different musical category. My first concert, and one of the best, was headlined by White Zombie and Pantera with the Deftones opening. It was awesome.

I don't see many live shows anymore, but most of the shows that I went to were local punk and indie bands with a few big names thrown in here and there. I always preferred the small shows where the band was sitting around drinking with everybody else before going up on stage.

I was close with a lot of bands and artists in my area, so I often got to do the set up work in exchange for free admission and beer. I got to hang out with Tool, the Verve Pipe, and a lot of other cool bands before they hit it big.

Sent from my Transformer using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

6 327
 04-22-2013, 01:36 AM
User Info
(04-21-2013, 12:45 PM)Bowhnter Wrote: Back in the day, I had seen Journey, Van Halen, Doobie Brothers, REO Speedwagon, J Geils band, Marshal Tucker band.

Still kick myself for not seeing Pink Floyd. Others I wish I would have seen are Lynard Skynard, Tom Petty, Aerosmith, Kansas, Rolling Stones, The Who and ZZ Top.
I saw Skynard back round about 75, it was before the plane crash,they were touring the UK as a double header with another band,are you ready for this,? Golden Earing,the only thing I remember about them is the track Radar love,and the fact the drummer used to have a spring loaded seat and would come hurtling over his kit.Those were the days.
Geordie Sam.

(04-21-2013, 12:46 PM)freddy Wrote: I've seen the San Diego Symphony. Does that count? Wink
ONLY if they SMASHED their gear,Freddy.Smile
Geordie Sam.

0 79
 04-22-2013, 07:28 AM
  • njpaddy
  • Central New Jersey
User Info
I've forgotten most of them. Some of the more memorable ones and approximate year:

Peter, Paul & Mary ('64 or 65)
Dylan ('66)
Jefferson Airplane ('67)
Grateful Dead ('68)
Jethro Tull ('73)
Rolling Thunder Review ('76) w/ Dylan, Baez, Roger McGuinn, Kinky Freidman, etc
The Pogues ('06)

0 204
 04-22-2013, 09:00 AM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
(04-22-2013, 01:36 AM)geordie sam Wrote:
(04-21-2013, 12:45 PM)Bowhnter Wrote: Back in the day, I had seen Journey, Van Halen, Doobie Brothers, REO Speedwagon, J Geils band, Marshal Tucker band.

I saw Skynard back round about 75, it was before the plane crash,they were touring the UK as a double header with another band,are you ready for this,? Golden Earing,the only thing I remember about them is the track Radar love,and the fact the drummer used to have a spring loaded seat and would come hurtling over his kit.Those were the days.
Geordie Sam.

(04-21-2013, 12:46 PM)freddy Wrote: I've seen the San Diego Symphony. Does that count? Wink
ONLY if they SMASHED their gear,Freddy.Smile
Geordie Sam.

Heaven forbid! A47 Laughing1

2 11,211
 04-23-2013, 05:09 AM
  • Shaun
  • St Peters, NSW, Australia
User Info
I have seen lots of greats too and won't list them all, but by far the best in concert I have ever seen was Ian Dury and The Blockheads, c.1981, here at the Capitol Theatre, Haymarket, Sydney.

0 1,625
 04-23-2013, 08:44 AM
User Info
(04-23-2013, 05:09 AM)Shaun Wrote: I have seen lots of greats too and won't list them all, but by far the best in concert I have ever seen was Ian Dury and The Blockheads, c.1981, here at the Capitol Theatre, Haymarket, Sydney.
Shaun,you may be interested in this,it was me who started this thread talking about my first and best gig (The Who) but supporting them back in 73 was a band called "Kilburn and the highroads" that as far as I know was Ian Dury's first band,if memory serves me one or two of them (like dury) were disabled.That was back on 6th November 1973.
Sam.

0 79
 04-23-2013, 10:41 AM
User Info

I have seen the Moody Blues many times with orchestral backup Biggrin As good as any I have ever seen. And that includes the Stones and the Who.

6 1,224
 04-23-2013, 10:44 AM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info

They are not a bandSmile

100 12,445
 04-23-2013, 10:48 AM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
Saw Santana once. My wife was to many rock concerts and is still deaf from the experience.
The greatest rock band of all time has to be The Rolling Stones. If you see them now they look like they are 95 years old. I guess it was the drugs.

100 12,445
 04-23-2013, 12:06 PM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
My first (at 15 years old) and still the best concert (live performance) I've seen...

Quote:Freddy Mercury, Live performer

Mercury's final live performance with Queen took place on 9 August 1986 at Knebworth Park in England and drew an attendance estimated as high as 300,000.

(04-20-2013, 08:38 PM)Johnny Wrote: This is just a few of the groups I've seen live. I guess I should set down and try to remember and make a list. I've seen some amazing groups/bands/performers in my lifetime.

Hi Johnny

You can certainly say that again! that's some serious musical talent you've seen perform...

Take care, Mike

23 1,872