04-20-2013, 01:21 PM
User Info
About a week ago, I stopped by the Art of Shaving store at the Mall of America. (I was taking my almost-five-year-old daughter to Nickelodeon Universe.) I spoke with the clerk, a young woman whom I had seen there before. We were chatting about double-edge razors, and she commented that a customer had installed his blade upside down and cut himself several times because of the error.

I picked up a Muhle double-edge in the case, pointed to the head, and asked, “Do you mean that he installed the lower portion of the head upside down?”

“No, the blade,” she said. “He put the blade in upside down.”

I bought two five-packs of Gillette Platinums from the store. I can’t recall the price, but it was outrageous. Most prices at the Art of Shaving are outrageous.

I’m sure hoping that I have installed this blade right-side-up . . .

[Image: 48xyfAS.jpg]

1 69
 04-20-2013, 01:30 PM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
It's always amazing to me that someone could be working in an AOS Store and be so clueless about what they are selling. That's a funny story thanks for sharing.

45 3,955
 04-20-2013, 01:36 PM
User Info
W00t hilarious - and clueless is the word!

7 1,625
 04-20-2013, 02:13 PM
User Info
I was floored by the comment. I thought maybe she was pulling my leg. But I don't think so.

I didn't know how to respond. I mumbled something, bought the blades, and left.

1 69
 04-20-2013, 02:47 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
I truly like how you titled this thread.The book is a good one , and even The Doors have a song with those lines.

Well AoS , I sometimes wonder why I do keep wasting my time visiting its store in SLC : maybe is because I like to have a "giggle" once in a while when I speak with the sales people there...

86 7,123
 04-20-2013, 05:01 PM
User Info
I found your blog, you are very entertaining! And that's a good thing. Cool

Our AoS is about to open. I will have to go in for a look see when it does just to see the staff.

31 1,800
 04-20-2013, 07:21 PM
User Info
Very nice chuckle! Biggrin

75 20,883
 04-20-2013, 09:53 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Next time you are in there be sure and correct her/them in the error of their ways. She will convince some new shaver that she knows what she is talking about.

173 23,486
 04-20-2013, 10:26 PM
User Info
And only Merkur Blades fit Merkur razors. Funny story. I think.

2 805
 04-21-2013, 03:28 AM
  • MikekiM
  • Long Island, NY
User Info
I've had the same experience.. One clerk had no idea what a boar brush is.

I had a gift card and was considering a puck and asked if I could test lather some. My palm lathering session turned into lathering -101 not only for the handful of patrons milling around, but for both clerks.

33 914
 04-21-2013, 07:16 AM
  • OldDog23
  • BeanTown MetroWest
User Info
whenever I get too lazy to turn the blade right-side up, I just shave with the razor upside-down ! Biggrin

0 1,291
 04-21-2013, 08:30 AM
User Info
ROTFLMAO! Completely clueless!

32 6,308
 04-21-2013, 03:50 PM
User Info
(04-21-2013, 07:16 AM)OldDog23 Wrote: whenever I get too lazy to turn the blade right-side up, I just shave with the razor upside-down ! Biggrin
That's a better idea than mine--that is, standing on my head. Ever' time I do that, I git plumb tuckered out.

(04-20-2013, 09:53 PM)Johnny Wrote: Next time you are in there be sure and correct her/them in the error of their ways. She will convince some new shaver that she knows what she is talking about.
Johnny, you're right. I was too stunned at the time to say anything.

I tried to redeem myself a couple of nights ago. I was back (taking the girl once more to Nickelodeon Universe), and I stopped again into AOS. A different clerk was there--a very nattily dressed young man. He was showing another young man a Dovo-manufactured AOS razor, along with the remarkably small strops that they sell there for $85 apiece (if memory serves me well). I began chatting with the young man. He wanted to find a razor like his multi-blade razor, but with a single edge.

Naturally, the clerk had directed him to the only straight that they had in the store. I pulled open the drawer and showed him the Merkur and Muhle double-edge razors that they had there and explained their functioning.

The Merkur and Muhle razors were over-priced (of course), but far less expensive as an initial investment than the straight.

I also advised the young man that he should examine the many shaving forums on the net.

1 69