04-20-2013, 05:31 PM
User Info
I received my new Cobra from Classic today and the razor seems different from the one I tried in the passaround. This one has a spring loaded pin on top of the toggle and small groove and notch under the blade cradle. It's harder to lock in place but once it does there is less play. To the best of my recollection the older Cobra I tried did not work this way. There also seems to be more left right play in the blade cradle. I don't think it will move during shaving but it does give me pause.

15 762
 04-20-2013, 05:44 PM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
Can we see a picture of this toggle spring setup.

100 12,445
 04-20-2013, 05:46 PM
User Info
I knew that was coming! I'll do it tomorrow.
(04-20-2013, 05:44 PM)slantman Wrote: Can we see a picture of this toggle spring setup.

15 762
 04-20-2013, 05:51 PM
  • ojinsa
  • San Antonio
User Info
I'm curious to read about this as well. I just bought a new one and don't have any experience with any previous models.

27 860
 04-20-2013, 06:49 PM
User Info
(04-20-2013, 05:51 PM)ojinsa Wrote: I'm curious to read about this as well. I just bought a new one and don't have any experience with any previous models.

I shaved with mine tonight. The blade cradle does move right/left when it is in the down position. But once you push it up and lock the toggle, the blade cradle doesn't move at all.

3 244
 04-20-2013, 06:57 PM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
I have one of the first ones they sold and mine has a spring loaded pin which goes into the blade cradle when you close the toggle. I do not think they have made ANY changes except to the price...mine was $125.00 and now they are $169.00. The side to side is no big deal and you can center it with your finger nail...it doesn,t move when shaving.

6 1,913
 04-20-2013, 07:49 PM
User Info
(04-20-2013, 06:57 PM)Harvey Wrote: I have one of the first ones they sold and mine has a spring loaded pin which goes into the blade cradle when you close the toggle. I do not think they have made ANY changes except to the price...mine was $125.00 and now they are $169.00. The side to side is no big deal and you can center it with your finger nail...it doesn,t move when shaving.

+1
i have not heard of any changes to the razor although i don't have a new one. i know someone who has both the new and older versions and i can inquire, but i doubt they would alter its design.
Here is a pic of my older version. You can see the pin at the top of the toggle, set into the groove under the blade cradle.

[Image: cobra1ci.jpg]

75 20,883
 04-20-2013, 08:03 PM
  • ojinsa
  • San Antonio
User Info
Celestino, I would focus on the toggle position if I could get past the overall beauty of pic!

27 860
 04-20-2013, 08:06 PM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
Yah that is it....nice photo...

6 1,913
 04-20-2013, 08:10 PM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
I have both 'old' and 'new' Cobras, having just received one of the 'new' ones today ... they're all the same in terms of toggle/spring/groove etc.

There are no plans for any changes to the Cobra at this time, according to my communications with Classic Shaving.

102 17,670
 04-20-2013, 08:47 PM
  • ojinsa
  • San Antonio
User Info
Thanks for the info Ravi.

27 860
 04-20-2013, 09:06 PM
User Info
I must have missed it before. The toggle on this one is certainly a much tighter fit.

15 762
 04-21-2013, 08:06 AM
User Info
(04-20-2013, 05:31 PM)guildx500 Wrote: I received my new Cobra from Classic today and the razor seems different from the one I tried in the passaround. This one has a spring loaded pin on top of the toggle and small groove and notch under the blade cradle. It's harder to lock in place but once it does there is less play. To the best of my recollection the older Cobra I tried did not work this way. There also seems to be more left right play in the blade cradle. I don't think it will move during shaving but it does give me pause.

Mine is the same as you describe, and I bought it a year ago or thereabouts. I think that would be about two batches ago. How old was the one you were passing around, I wonder?
I couldn't be happier with mine.

24 1,151
 04-21-2013, 09:38 AM
  • ojinsa
  • San Antonio
User Info
I received my razor yesterday and shaved with it for the first time today. I had an idea of what it looked like from pictures but didn't know what to expect when holding it and shaving with it.

My first impression is that it's packaged well, and presented well. I like its heft and in hand feel, and the texture on the handle is unique and sure. The broad head is different than any DE I've shaved with, but not terribly so. Extracting the razor and loading it took a few seconds to figure out but I managed to get one loaded. Feather Pro razors are included and from what I've read, they are sharp as hell (confirmed).

I made a regular pass, and I had to be mindful to apply no pressure (which I forgot a few times), and the one pass was enough to get me BBS, with a few touch up passes once done. I must need to work on getting the proper angle with this razor on my neck because its irritated post shave. Also, I noticed some skin irritation which may have come from the soap or some other weird reaction my skin was experiencing with the razor's plating, but overall the shave was a efficient and thorough.

I didn't notice any wiggle or play from the blade or the toggle once the blade was loaded, which was my initial concern (and I think the concern of a few others). It's a slick looking razor that leaves my face equally slick.

27 860
 04-25-2013, 03:49 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Celestino: Wonderful pic!

Ravi: I agree, no change to the Cobra.

Oscar: Enjoy, the Cobra takes a little adjustment, but is well worth it.

Classic shaving: I would LOVE a Cobra in gold plate...

91 17,854