04-21-2013, 04:56 AM
User Info
We've got to have a bunch of runners here - whether track or long-distance, road or trail, old or young, barefoot or shod.

Regardless of whether you run once a month or twice a day, post here and let us know your general age, and running style and preferences. Maybe we can learn something from each other.

------------

I'll start:

I'm a cyclist, for the most part, but the preponderance of trails around here have encouraged me to take up trail running.

I'm almost 40, about 190 lbs and cardiovascularly fit, but not trim. At this stage, my stamina vastly outstrips my body's ability to handle the rigours of running.

I used to heel-strike, but I'm working on a midfoot strike. I also use semi-minimalist trail running shoes (not the Vibram ones). I'm curious about barefoot running, and I'll experiment with it, but that will be a very slow process with me; I am cognizant of the fact that my body will take a while to adapt to these new stresses I put on it.

---------

So, how about you?

37 1,731
 04-21-2013, 09:18 AM
User Info
I'm a runner (well I'm actually a former offensive lineman who tries his best to run). I never tried the barefoot style because I didn't want to risk any potential knee/leg/foot injuries. Instead my shoes' (Brooks) footprint looks like a Clydesdales', they are so wide.

I've always wanted to run the Boston Marathon (I almost ran this year and needless to say I'm glad for my family's sake I didn't), but I'm going to next year.

72 1,407
 04-21-2013, 09:27 AM
User Info
Cyclist, here, also, but only to work, these days.
i used to enjoy cross-country running, but haven't done it in a very long time. i much prefer trail running, now, but don't do it very often because of football/soccer.
i am 46 and 135 pounds, 5'6"; i would consider myself to be in excellent cardiovascular shape as i can keep up with the 20 year-olds in footie. Biggrin
i wouldn't run barefoot as i have flat feet and use orthotics.

75 20,884
 04-21-2013, 09:44 AM
User Info
I prefer trail hiking but occasionally I get on a running kick and will do some interval running. I don't do barefoot but I prefer minimal shoes. Terra Plan a is my favorite brand.

Right now for exercise I got back into weight training at the local gym.

Sent from my Amaze 4G using Tapatalk 2

1 67
 04-21-2013, 12:37 PM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
Does running to catch the city bus count? Laughing1

2 11,211
 04-21-2013, 12:47 PM
User Info
(04-21-2013, 12:37 PM)freddy Wrote: Does running to catch the city bus count? Laughing1

* Hee hee! Good one, Freddy, and what type of shoes do you use for that?Biggrin

75 20,884
 04-21-2013, 12:59 PM
  • freddy
User Info
(04-21-2013, 12:47 PM)celestino Wrote:
(04-21-2013, 12:37 PM)freddy Wrote: Does running to catch the city bus count? Laughing1

* Hee hee! Good one, Freddy, and what type of shoes do you use for that?Biggrin

Comfy ones, Celestino. All kidding aside, I do this so often that if my favorite bus driver happens to be driving, he has been known to stop at an unauthorized place to let me on. I once told him my age and all he could say was, "Dang, you that old and you run like that!" Actually, at my age it's probably more of a trot than a sprint. 24

2 11,211
 04-21-2013, 06:18 PM
  • CRAusmus
  • Going from Texas to Georgia
User Info
I used to cycle (trail and road), run, and swim on a daily basis (done a few triathlons), but lately, all I've been doing is running. Currently I'm logging 35+ miles a week. I'm a neutral stride, midfoot striker. Been wearing Mizuno Wave Riders since 2007, and currently go through about 3 pair a year.

I'm also a backpacker, climber (5.8 is where I top out), mountaineer (14ers is the extent so far with the big hills looming), skier, and kayaker. I love to be outside. I haven't had much time for these sports as of late so I run, and run some more to keep in shape. I used to teach navigation classes, and backpacking classes to kids and adults that were looking to get into the sports. I want to eventually do Ultras (50 tops), would love to put a good team together and run some Adventure Races, and get back into Tris (olympic distance). And hopefully someday, through hike the triple crown, PCT, AT, and CDT.

I've also been called a dreamer by my wife.

I'm 40 years old (feb 2nd), 5'9" and 150 lbs.

14 1,177
 04-21-2013, 06:28 PM
  • freddy
User Info
(04-21-2013, 06:18 PM)CRAusmus Wrote: I used to cycle (trail and road), run, and swim on a daily basis (done a few triathlons), but lately, all I've been doing is running. Currently I'm logging 35+ miles a week. I'm a neutral stride, midfoot striker. Been wearing Mizuno Wave Riders since 2007, and currently go through about 3 pair a year.

I'm also a backpacker, climber (5.8 is where I top out), mountaineer (14ers is the extent so far with the big hills looming), skier, and kayaker. I love to be outside. I haven't had much time for these sports as of late so I run, and run some more to keep in shape. I used to teach navigation classes, and backpacking classes to kids and adults that were looking to get into the sports. I want to eventually do Ultras (50 tops), would love to put a good team together and run some Adventure Races, and get back into Tris (olympic distance). And hopefully someday, through hike the triple crown, PCT, AT, and CDT.

I've also been called a dreamer by my wife.

I'm 40 years old (feb 2nd), 5'9" and 150 lbs.

Clinton, sometimes dreams like that are merely the first steps to fulfillment. Good luck to you. Thumbsup

2 11,211
 04-22-2013, 02:26 AM
  • MikekiM
  • Long Island, NY
User Info
Trail runner..

I'm in the best condition of my 50 years and combine trail running with traditional strength training and Crossfit. Hiking for variety and fun as well.

I started road running but it's numbs my brain. I much prefer being out on a trail.

33 914
 04-22-2013, 03:05 AM
User Info
Mike,

I agree with you entirely. Road running just doesn't do it for me. The trails are so much nicer to run on - low impact, and interesting.

37 1,731
 04-22-2013, 03:39 AM
User Info
3x a week for 2-4 miles a go. Mostly wear Luna sandals.

3 244
 04-22-2013, 06:59 AM
  • CRAusmus
User Info
(04-21-2013, 06:28 PM)freddy Wrote: Clinton, sometimes dreams like that are merely the first steps to fulfillment. Good luck to you. Thumbsup

That is an excellent way to see it Freddy. I will use that quote when she says it again. "Dreams are the first step to fulfillment." Couldn't be more true either. Thank you.

(04-22-2013, 03:05 AM)yohannrjm Wrote: Mike,

I agree with you entirely. Road running just doesn't do it for me. The trails are so much nicer to run on - low impact, and interesting.

Wish I had trails to run on now. Once I move to Savannah the scenery will greatly improve. And where we are moving there are lots better places to run than I have now in the heart of the DFW metroplex.

14 1,177
 04-22-2013, 08:19 AM
  • vuk
  • Virginia
User Info
I'm a road runner/jogger and run 7 days a week anywhere from 6-10 miles a day but usually longer on the weekends.
I played soccer when I was in college at west virginia and we used to trail run out there. The scenery on the trails there were absolutely beautiful. I've tried barefoot running on a track once and didn't care for it at all. Currently using Saucony shoes but will need to replace them soon.
I've never run a marathon and have always wanted to run in Boston but never made it. I've run in a few 5k's and was planning to do Bay-to-Breakers in May.

2 507
 04-22-2013, 11:05 AM
User Info
I'm a wannabe runner. Best distance logged so far is 2 miles on a treadmill.

Currently doing about 1 mile per session of actual running. 25 minutes of total walking/running.

Problems: PF in left foot seems to flare up occasionally during a run & ankle in right foot starts hurting after a distance.

9 2,988
 04-22-2013, 11:45 AM
User Info
(04-22-2013, 11:05 AM)asharperrazor Wrote: I'm a wannabe runner. Best distance logged so far is 2 miles on a treadmill.

Currently doing about 1 mile per session of actual running. 25 minutes of total walking/running.

Problems: PF in left foot seems to flare up occasionally during a run & ankle in right foot starts hurting after a distance.

Have both feet adjusted. Stretch both muscles in the calf (straight & bent knee). Massage the PF by rolling your foot on a frozen water bottle or even a golf ball. Foot issues will lead to both knee & back issues so take care of them now!

31 7,914
 04-22-2013, 06:40 PM
User Info
Did not know feet could be adjusted. I'm going to look into this.

9 2,988
 04-22-2013, 06:42 PM
User Info
(04-22-2013, 06:40 PM)asharperrazor Wrote: Did not know feet could be adjusted. I'm going to look into this.

Yep, we can adjust practically any joint. I'm adjusting feet on about 50% of my patients.

Yeah, I broke down. It's Tapatalk 2 for iPhone.

31 7,914
 04-22-2013, 07:13 PM
  • CRAusmus
User Info
I didn't know feet could be adjusted either.

I can tell you anyone that is serious about wanting to run should have their gait analyzed. Its worth it to avoid all kinds of problems that can be avoided by just adjusting your form, and wearing the right shoes to correct any problems you can't correct. Your gait can be analyzed for free at many events around the nation. Brooks, and other shoe manufacturers, have vans that travel around the country and they record you running and show you what you are doing, and how the right shoe, be it neutral, stability, or motion control can correct problems that just changing your form won't do. This can eliminate all kinds of hip and knee problems that people think hurt just because its running. Its very interesting to go through the process and in my opinion one of the best things a runner can do for themselves.

14 1,177
 04-22-2013, 11:27 PM
User Info
Done that. I run normally.

Tried barefoot running, that's where the PF came from tbh. Right ankle is recent, but could be from upping weekly mileage.

I'm definitely going in for feet adjustment. Know any chiropractors in Phoenix Brian?

9 2,988