04-21-2013, 06:16 AM
User Info
I recently started using DE blades that are considered sharper than what I started with a little over a year ago when I ventured into DE shaving. I started with Astra SP, Derby Extras, and Voskhod, which worked pretty well for me but wanted to try other brands. I then started using Gillette 7 o'clock Blues, Polsilver SI, and Bolzanos after reading how popular they were here on The Nook.
My question to the more experienced shavers here is, why can't I get a great shave with an Astra SP like I did before? Does your beard change, get more coarse after using a sharper blade or with age? The Astras just don't get it done like they did before. I will be sticking with the sharper, smoother blades but just had this question. Any info will be appreciated, thanks in advance.
Ivan

0 143
 04-21-2013, 07:21 AM
User Info
Astras are my blade of choice currently. All I can say is that, as you shave, your technique evolves constantly. You'll find things that worked before, don't, and vice versa. My advice is to just keep working at it, try new things, and occasionally revisit things, while constantly keeping in mind that not all advice is good advice. Wink

2 362
 04-21-2013, 08:28 AM
User Info
Maybe your standards have changed since using a sharper blade.

Too, +1 what Seth wrote re:technique. Don't be surprised if razors that once worked no longer give you what you want after trying others. Stuff like that happens a lot in shaving if you're on the hunt for shave nirvana.

32 6,308
 04-21-2013, 11:12 AM
User Info
I agree with what has been said. I started out using a gillette flare tip and a Schick Krona and I got what I thought were great shaves. Many times, BBS. I used to do 3 passes though.
Then late last year I got an EJ DE89, and was getting a better shave with 2 passes. I bought a Weber in January and now get effortless BBS (mostly) shaves with 2 passes. Mostly with Polsilver but even with Astra SP.
Just last week I tried using the gillette and krona and with 2 passes could not get the same results.
So mostly I think it is your standards are expecting more.

31 1,800
 04-21-2013, 12:32 PM
User Info
As has been stated, your standards are probably much higher now since using the better blades and the improvement of your technique. Enjoy the new discovery.

75 20,883
 04-21-2013, 02:36 PM
User Info
IC, this isn't intended for you, but for those who lurk...

That's why it's suggested for noobs to get a blade sampler. It's simply impossible to determine what one will like. And to use each pack to finality IMO is not the best option because of what Ivan wrote. I still retain some of my best SS sampler blades to test if I need to. Just to play devils advocate, I have yet to improve upon my original test results of blades I once tested. But that doesn't mean others won't.

32 6,308
 04-21-2013, 09:21 PM
User Info
I'm only into my 9th DE shave and have only use Astra SP's. My first shave has been the best but I find I have to discard my blades more frequently than others here on the board. It may be a mind thing but it seems I can get 2 comfortable shaves from my Astra's until it starts to feel like it's tugging. I'm planning on at least 6 more shaves with my Astra's (while I'm working on my technique) but I do feel there has to be a better blade out there for me.

0 6
 04-22-2013, 06:42 AM
  • RedRocks
  • Four-Corners, USA
User Info
After trying many different blade/razor combinations I have settled on Super Iridiums as my go to blades and Gillette adjustables for my razors.

As I became more comfortable with my selection a problem began developing with my technique. For some odd reason I was applying far too much pressure with my razor thus causing some miserable shaves. Once I corrected that & lightened up things have been going much smoother (pun intended).

It is good to reevaluate technique on a regular basis.

~Frank

18 271
 05-02-2013, 03:13 AM
User Info
I think one of the bigger surprises as I have delved deeper into wet shaving is how differing blades perform in various razors..e.g.I find the Astra to be acceptable in a closed comb, but not so much in an open comb razor. And, the opposite for other blades. All in all, this is part of what makes this all good fun; trying differing combos and noting the results.

3 73
 05-02-2013, 09:05 AM
User Info
(05-02-2013, 03:13 AM)scooter01 Wrote: All in all, this is part of what makes this all good fun; trying differing combos and noting the results.

I agree. I have found that some modern blades such as Iridiums work quite well in my open comb razors, while the high-end vintage blades like Wilkinson Light Brigades seem to be best in the Feather AS and Sticky.

183 12,002
 05-16-2013, 12:21 AM
User Info
I thought this thread was about actually changing the blade which made me laugh because I shave in the shower and well, this sometimes leaves me feeling a little vulnerable when changing a blade in there.

1 50
 05-17-2013, 10:45 AM
User Info
Dude! You should never handle razors while showering. Things get slippery and your toes are not the only thing that can get sliced by a falling razor..... if you know what im sayin... Shok
(05-16-2013, 12:21 AM)TucsonAZ Wrote: I thought this thread was about actually changing the blade which made me laugh because I shave in the shower and well, this sometimes leaves me feeling a little vulnerable when changing a blade in there.

0 27