04-21-2013, 02:59 PM
User Info
Hi lads, Geordie Sam here,
I have posted this before elsewhere,but I'm going to again here.
I have never visited America,but I would love to,especially SMALL town America (Mellencamps America,I'm a fan of his) you can keep NY,or LA or all the other BIG cities,I think to go to these little off the beaten track towns, and to sit in a bar and just chat away with the customers and bar staff would be absolutely great.As a Brit with a STRONG Geordie accent(all you Americans think we talk like Hugh Grant, but we don't)they would have great difficulty understanding me,and probably wouldn't believe I am British.One day I keep promising myself, I WILL get to visit.
Geordie Sam.(a big fan of America)

0 79
 04-21-2013, 03:04 PM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
Sam, don't be so quick to discount New York City and the like. Just like the U.K., the U.S.A. is made up of everything from large cities, to suburbs to the smallest of towns. As far as the folks who live in these places, all have some wonderful things to offer.

As for a Geordie accent, it has nothing on a pure Dundonian accent. Wink

2 11,211
 04-21-2013, 03:34 PM
User Info
Nashville isn't small, but I think it would do for the experience you're looking for. If you ever visit here, look up the world-infamous Springwater Supper Club and Lounge. Go there, drink beer, enjoy the cross-section of humanity.

9 166
 04-21-2013, 03:36 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Come on over Sam and I will take you up to northern Wisconsin where neither of you will understand each other. I even have a hard time understanding some of them. But it's a great place to visit.

173 23,548
 04-21-2013, 03:42 PM
  • Tonality
  • Attempted Soap Sabbatical
  • Boston
User Info
As someone from a large metropolitan suburb and currently in a small town (15,000 including the college community)I can see where you could find charm and wonder in places like this. I'll tell you though, after a couple days it sure gets old, let alone a couple years!

True locals here, if you could get into a real conversation with them, would likely chat your ear off about the multi-year drought, or road construction that is more than a year overdue.

Small town life is pretty nice though, despite the downfalls. I find that people are much more friendly than in the big cities, and not so rushed to accomplish a million things in a day.

35 1,732
 04-21-2013, 04:05 PM
User Info
(04-21-2013, 02:59 PM)geordie sam Wrote: Hi lads, Geordie Sam here,
I have never visited America,but I would love to,especially SMALL town America (Mellencamps America,I'm a fan of his) you can keep NY,or LA or all the other BIG cities,I think to go to these little off the beaten track towns, and to sit in a bar and just chat away with the customers and bar staff would be absolutely great.As a Brit with a STRONG Geordie accent(all you Americans think we talk like Hugh Grant, but we don't)they would have great difficulty understanding me,and probably wouldn't believe I am British.One day I keep promising myself, I WILL get to visit.

IIRC, Mellencamp's 'small town' wasn't exactly a 'small town'. I think there was something like 15-20k people in his town. Heck, the town I grew up in only had 4-5k people in it.

40 5,830
 04-22-2013, 02:19 AM
User Info
(04-21-2013, 04:05 PM)andrewjs18 Wrote:
(04-21-2013, 02:59 PM)geordie sam Wrote: Hi lads, Geordie Sam here,

IIRC, Mellencamp's 'small town' wasn't exactly a 'small town'. I think there was something like 15-20k people in his town. Heck, the town I grew up in only had 4-5k people in it.
I only meant it figuratively not literally.I was speaking more so about the HUGE cities compared to the lesser visited places.
Sam.

0 79