04-21-2013, 05:25 PM
  • Java
  • Warner Robins, Georgia, USA
User Info
I’ve been at this for over a year now, and I’ve tried all kinds of brushes. I’ve found that I prefer the boars, although I do love my Vie-Long Peleon (horse)as well. Lucky me, for once I actually prefer the less expensive ones! Anyway, when I first started reading shaving forums I would occasionally read posts that proclaim how the writer only used Silvertips, and would tell you which of those were to scritchy or prickly. At the time I was using a clipped boar Burma Shave brush, and liking it, so it was easy to think “that’s nice, princess…..” But the longer I’m at this, the more I see people I’ve come to respect talking that way about brushes I really like. I know YMMV and all, but I just don’t get it. So I’m forced to ask myself; is there something wrong with my face? Do I just not have a proper understanding of the terminology? I don’t want to start a badger vs boar argument, and I don’t mean to insult anyone. And since it’s sometimes hard to tell on the computer, let me assure you I’m not being sarcastic or trying to be funny. I’m just really starting to get curious.

0 270
 04-21-2013, 05:30 PM
User Info
I think you spent so much time trying to avoid offending everyone that in the end your point was kind of lost in all the static.

What exactly are you trying to ask?

3 244
 04-21-2013, 05:32 PM
User Info
I don't think I'm following what the question is. Why would you think something is wrong with your face?

31 7,912
 04-21-2013, 06:04 PM
User Info
I think OP is wondering if there's something wrong with his face because he actually prefers stiffer, more scratchy brushes.

2 106
 04-21-2013, 06:04 PM
User Info
I know what you're saying, and no, there's nothing wrong with your face. I think of a nice badger brush to be kind of a luxury item. Might feel softer than a boar starting out, they have finer, more flexible hairs, but a well broken-in boar will make just as fine a lather, and will be plenty soft-tipped. As long as it lathers well and doesn't feel uncomfortable, it's all good. Thumbsup

2 362
 04-21-2013, 06:09 PM
User Info
I only have a pure badger brush, but I actually prefer to feel some resistance against my face. I think too soft would not be enjoyable to me.

2 106
 04-21-2013, 06:14 PM
User Info
Ah, well if that's the case then no, nothing is wrong. We are all different. I get brush burn from horse hair & even badger brushes that are scritchy. All the boars I've used (except the VDH which flat out stunk) have had less scritch out of the box than my black badgers. Heck, they were even softer tipped than my Semogue 2-band. Be thankful that you enjoy those brushes as they tend to carry a lower price point. In fact, I hope scritchy brushes become all the rave & soft 2-bands lose their popularity. Then I could get more for the same money. So come out of the woodworks scritchy brush lovers & drive prices down for those wimpy soft-tipped badgers. Winky

31 7,912
 04-21-2013, 08:16 PM
  • Java
  • Warner Robins, Georgia, USA
User Info
There is a perfect example of what I mean. Once upon a time this sounded like some kind of elitist nonsense to me, but I've "known" Brian on more than one forum for over a year. If he says horse hair and some badgers give him brush burn I absolutely believe him. I guess it's just sort of an extreme case of YMMV, that something that can actually cause one guy pain, can be border-line too soft for another.

Brian, your comment about most boars having less scritch than some badgers does make me think "scritch" doesn't mean what I thought it meant. Thanks for your response!

0 270
 04-21-2013, 08:36 PM
User Info
(04-21-2013, 06:14 PM)SharpSpine Wrote: Ah, well if that's the case then no, nothing is wrong. We are all different. I get brush burn from horse hair & even badger brushes that are scritchy. All the boars I've used (except the VDH which flat out stunk) have had less scritch out of the box than my black badgers. Heck, they were even softer tipped than my Semogue 2-band. Be thankful that you enjoy those brushes as they tend to carry a lower price point. In fact, I hope scritchy brushes become all the rave & soft 2-bands lose their popularity. Then I could get more for the same money. So come out of the woodworks scritchy brush lovers & drive prices down for those wimpy soft-tipped badgers. Winky

+1 i am in the same position as Brian. i started out with Semogue boars and some Vie-Long natural horse-hair brushes, but once i got my first good 2-band badger, i realized how much the boars and horses were giving me brush burn as i face-lather, exclusively. i have since given up on boars and horses and use 2-bands and synthetics, exclusively. i do have a Chubby 2 Super badger that is has some "scritch", but does not give me brush burn.
Nothing wrong with your face; we are all different and react differently to things.
Enjoy your brushes as you won't be spending too much money on them!Biggrin

75 20,883
 04-21-2013, 08:41 PM
User Info
There is nothing wrong with your face, just be glad you don't have sensitive skin. I see it as a good thing. My face is very sensitive to any kind of scritch or scratch. I simply cannot face lather with anything that is not really soft tipped. Black badger, pure badger and even some best grades cause my face to fuss. I guess you can call me a "princess" as you say. Biggrin

63 2,128
 04-21-2013, 09:25 PM
User Info
You like what you like and you use what you use. Same as everyone else. No, nothing is wrong with your face at all.

YMMV, same as always. Ask a variation of this question about razors, blades, soaps, whatever, and get the same answer from me. YMMV.

It means you're an individual, not an ant in a colony and identical to the other ants in the colony. Welcome to the human condition. It's no big deal.

32 6,308
 04-21-2013, 10:53 PM
User Info
Definitely a case of YMMV, in addition to being a case of "preferences differ".

For me, I think a proper brush should have some backbone and some scritch - but then I've noticed I look less and less in the mirror as I lather up, so I lather more or less by feel. A softer brush would be more 'diffuse' on my face, so I would have a harder time telling where I lather; or so I imagine.

For me there is also a second thing to consider; I am horrible, horrible ticklish. My Better half - bless her heart - only has to widdle her fingers an inch over my skin for it to tickle, and if she actually tickles it's damn near painful... so wiggling a soft, fluffy badger over my face wouldn't be nirvana, it would be hell. But hey, it means one less bidder when those damn fine looking badgers come up in the B/S/T Biggrin

As in all things when it comes to traditional shaving, it is less a question of what's right and more a question of whats right for you. Find a brush you like and use it - same goes for razors and blades.

3 3,560
 04-22-2013, 11:25 AM
User Info
There is much that is wrong with my face. Sadly, none of its wrongness may be traced to the brushes I use.

1 69
 04-23-2013, 09:27 AM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
Hi Tom

As has been said, everyone is different...

Personally I can't use shaving brushes with boar knots as I experience a "mild" allergic reaction to the boar hair -- my skin inflames (a little), turns bright red and becomes itchy.

I'm fine with badger and horse hair knots, but the tips have to be on the softer side of the spectrum, if they're not, then I will experience some "brush burn".

Take care, Mike

23 1,872
 04-23-2013, 10:27 AM
User Info
This sounds like a YMMV issue. I don't dislike boar brushes, but I don't think that they work very well for me. I can't get a good enough lather with them.

2 396
 04-23-2013, 10:58 AM
User Info
Actually a minority of the shaving community truly loves the prickle from cut boars, black badger, Rooney Finest, & old Manchurian hair.

You are not alone. And considering the cost of the last two examples, people are willing to pay a huge premium for the prickly sensation. They call it scrub though. Prickle to me.

9 2,988
 04-23-2013, 06:43 PM
User Info
I'm with you Java!

The old leather I have for a face and neck simply cannot be irritated by mechanical means. With the exception of trying to use a Feather blade for a week. So all brushes work fine on my face. And I have a preference for good boar brushes but have a couple of badger brushes I like very much. None of which feel as silky smooth as a well broke in and soaked boar brush on my face.

Now chemical irritation from soaps or fragrances is anther matter altogether. But they seem to have to be pretty harsh to bother me. But when they do they do so rather badly.

6 1,224