04-22-2013, 06:43 AM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
I just noticed this on the shaveabuck.com website. It looks almost identical to a Futur and is adjustable. Made in China. Does anyone have one yet? Out of stock at shaveabuck.
I should have one any day now. A review and pictures to follow.

100 12,448
 04-22-2013, 07:38 AM
User Info
Interesting. Would give it a try if it was in the 20's$! At it current price I'd rather go German.

5 410
 04-22-2013, 07:50 AM
  • Attila
  • The Hungarian Blade
  • Vancouver, Canada
User Info
(04-22-2013, 07:38 AM)Johnus Wrote: Interesting. Would give it a try if it was in the 20's$! At it current price I'd rather go German.

I agree gold tone would imply it is not gold plated. I love my Merkur Futur for the way it shaves.

14 870
 04-22-2013, 07:50 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Very similar indeed!

91 17,875
 04-22-2013, 08:46 AM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
(04-22-2013, 07:50 AM)Attila Wrote:
(04-22-2013, 07:38 AM)Johnus Wrote: Interesting. Would give it a try if it was in the 20's$! At it current price I'd rather go German.

I agree gold tone would imply it is not gold plated. I love my Merkur Futur for the way it shaves.

Its basically the same thing. The plating is extremely thin but if applied correctly should last a long time. The main thing about a knock off is the build quality and mechanics. Does this work exactly like a Futur.

100 12,448
 04-22-2013, 05:56 PM
User Info
Not enough of a markdown to justify buying a "knock off."

Also, I would assume this s violating or near violating a patent-not going to support China in that endeavor.

10 98
 04-22-2013, 06:04 PM
  • GreekGuy
  • Not saving money yet....
  • La Jolla, CA
User Info
(04-22-2013, 05:56 PM)Manning Wrote: Not enough of a markdown to justify buying a "knock off."

Also, I would assume this s violating or near violating a patent-not going to support China in that endeavor.

I am all for budget conscious, but I 100% agree with this

9 541
 04-22-2013, 06:18 PM
  • vuk
  • Virginia
User Info
(04-22-2013, 05:56 PM)Manning Wrote: Also, I would assume this s violating or near violating a patent-not going to support China in that endeavor.

I'll agree with this as well.
I wouldn't mind as much if it was a vintage design from a shuttered company but an obvious knock-off of a current production razor couldn't get my support.

2 507
 04-23-2013, 04:58 AM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
(04-22-2013, 06:18 PM)vuk Wrote:
(04-22-2013, 05:56 PM)Manning Wrote: Also, I would assume this s violating or near violating a patent-not going to support China in that endeavor.

I'll agree with this as well.
I wouldn't mind as much if it was a vintage design from a shuttered company but an obvious knock-off of a current production razor couldn't get my support.

Only in the cell phone (smart phone) business is patent infringements taken seriously resulting in massive law suits that go into the millions and millions of dollars. Does Merkur even have a patent on any of their razors?

100 12,448
 04-23-2013, 09:30 AM
  • vuk
  • Virginia
User Info
Prosecuting patent infringement internationally especially in China is almost impossible. I think it would have to happen at the state level and its really a problem for all manufactures not just local to the cell phone-electronics industry.
Well it looks like the Futur was patented in 1983, I'm not sure what the terms of German patents are but it may well have expired this year. While these are clearly labeled as Chinese, I just hope they don't start turning up in Merkur-looking boxes on ebay.

2 507
 04-23-2013, 09:45 AM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
Assuming the Futur has a patent and it was granted in 1983 according to German law it would expire in 20 years which means 2003. So this particular knock off appears safe.

100 12,448
 04-23-2013, 10:16 AM
  • GreekGuy
  • Not saving money yet....
  • La Jolla, CA
User Info
It's not the patent thing that bothers me. What bothers me is that Merkur employs people to design and manufacture these. Without that, there wouldn't be the futur that we have today. Now, I'm not saying I have something against imitation. All the OC razors are more or less based off of Gillette's original idea, but for an extra $20 I'd rather support the Germans that designed it and continue to make a living, as opposed to a factory worker in China making $1 a day.

Not to be overly political and I apologize if this offends anyone, but I choose to support those that innovate, as opposed to those who imitate. Consumable goods used to be made to a high quality and built to last. I am happy to say that one doesn't have to yearn for the days of yore when goods were made with quality and pride. They can still be found today. They are certainly not the cheapest option, but aren't any more expensive than their equivalent would have cost decades ago. From speakers to refrigerators, there are still goods being made the old fashioned way, but you aren't going to find them coming from China.

9 541
 04-23-2013, 11:21 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I don't use a Futur but I do support the sentiments stated in this thread.

173 23,553
 04-23-2013, 12:13 PM
  • Mynorx
  • Southern California
User Info
If the patent is expired then there is no problem. This just creates competition, it will drive prices down and will in effect make Merkur have to innovate their products and possibly make them stronger. Which is all good for the consumer. Look at what happens with modern day computing devices competition has clearly driven innovation along with a lower price. The consumer WINS!

1 265
 04-23-2013, 12:15 PM
  • Attila
  • The Hungarian Blade
  • Vancouver, Canada
User Info
(04-23-2013, 10:16 AM)GreekGuy Wrote: It's not the patent thing that bothers me. What bothers me is that Merkur employs people to design and manufacture these. Without that, there wouldn't be the futur that we have today. Now, I'm not saying I have something against imitation. All the OC razors are more or less based off of Gillette's original idea, but for an extra $20 I'd rather support the Germans that designed it and continue to make a living, as opposed to a factory worker in China making $1 a day.

Not to be overly political and I apologize if this offends anyone, but I choose to support those that innovate, as opposed to those who imitate. Consumable goods used to be made to a high quality and built to last. I am happy to say that one doesn't have to yearn for the days of yore when goods were made with quality and pride. They can still be found today. They are certainly not the cheapest option, but aren't any more expensive than their equivalent would have cost decades ago. From speakers to refrigerators, there are still goods being made the old fashioned way, but you aren't going to find them coming from China.

Very well stated.

14 870
 04-23-2013, 12:34 PM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
Traces of lead in the Chinese version's metal coating are said to be therapeutic in certain ways! Biggrin

102 17,671
 04-23-2013, 01:02 PM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
I think the GOLD is sprayed on over crappola and the razor is also an excellent hammer to hit your self on the head for buying it....why can,t the Chinese ever innovate and sell at market prices instead of ripping everybody off....possibly the effects od using slave labor and work camps........maybe they are running out of child labor....AngryAngryAngry

6 1,913
 04-23-2013, 02:08 PM
User Info
I wouldn't buy it because I don't buy health related products made in PRC due to risk of them containing Lead or Cadmium, the latter being found in children toys (since toys are checked for Lead).

As for manufacturing quality, I am less than impressed with Merkur. Their tendency to cut corners means that other brands that do insist on proper quality control get my business.

6 808
 04-23-2013, 02:17 PM
User Info
Looks like the price has been dropped to $35.

10 98
 04-23-2013, 02:27 PM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
The following items are made in China:

Everything

100 12,448