04-07-2012, 05:33 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
The latest Lea shaving stick reformulation was a shame to any shaving soap and also to the wonderful shaving sticks which have been made in Spain since 1910.
We decided in foroafeitado.com that it was enough so I open a thread asking members to send a petition to Lascaray SL (the company behind Lea/Bea) to change the ingredients for better ones (actually revert to some of the old formulations which were good) and some other members even wrote to to include tallow and lanolin on it.Here is the thread in foroafeitado asking for a better shaving stick : Peticion de cambio de formulacion de la barrita LEA.

Well,a year passed by and it seems that they listened to our forum petition :

[Image: IMG_5882.jpg]

YES! The new Lea shaving stick has tallow and lanolin on it!!!AaaaaAaaaaAaaaaBadger Yes,now seems to be a serious shaving stick.

They have even changed the look of it,for a more barber shop one,like the Professional shaving cream :

[Image: IMG_5883.jpg]

[Image: IMG_5887.jpg]

So this new reformulation makes me wonder :

Why companies have really dumped tallow?Well,even when Im a veggie based soap fan, and I dont care for tallow or not,I can tell that the reason that companies have given (too many people concern about the use of animal products,or about the EU regulation and blah blah blah) are basically cr*p.Theyre doing it for profit,which makes me think who are they trying to fool,since you buy a shaving soap which is dull and you will never buy it again.Period.Or if you read on a forum that the shaving soap made for such and such company doesnt works,you wont buy it either.
Why did they changed the formulations and dumped tallow?Im sure for profit, that's all.Most of the English traditional shaving companies also sell bath soaps wich,surprise,surprise!! still have tallow,while the shaving soaps, no.

Anyway,well done for Lascaray SL.,a company which have heard peoples complaints and want to make a better product.By the way,the new formulation looks pretty similar to the Wilkinson shaving stick,a stick which is as good as Mitchells Wool Fat taking care of the skin but its much easy to lather.

86 7,124
 04-07-2012, 06:07 PM
User Info
+1 to the Wilkinson Sword stick. It's a little blue marvel of shaving soap.Thumbup

0 372
 04-07-2012, 07:15 PM
User Info
Teiste,

Thanks for sharing the information and more importantly for leading the effort to contact the company. They listened and now they have produced a product that many of us will be willing to use.

29 1,731
 04-07-2012, 08:22 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
Wow! That is very impressive that a manufacturer listened. I am going to have to try this shave stick. Way to go Teiste!

45 16,363
 04-07-2012, 08:27 PM
User Info
Very interesting stuff. Unfortunately lanolin is a no go for me. I know a lot of people love it but I just can't use it. Same reason why I don't use the Wilkinson Stick or MWF.

I am actually giving the previous LEA formula another try in a shave stick comparison.

I guess I'll stick with the LEA Sensitive shave cream...I know you don't like it Teiste, but I never had a problem making a good lather with it.

0 189
 04-08-2012, 06:17 AM
User Info
It worked! :yho: We won!!!!!

2 5,532
 04-08-2012, 09:01 AM
User Info
We have the non lanolin version, about 100 pieces left.

Believe it or not they are approachable these guys, I often wondered how small or large a company it is. They have changed nearly all their products too so this may be part of their plan all along. The shave cream is a new package and formula and they even have a Bea shave cream now which they never did before.

I will reach out to them to see if I can get a small order of these shipped to me, their official USA agent Biggrin

5 273
 04-08-2012, 09:24 AM
  • MrGuy
  • Black Hills of SD
User Info
Very cool! I just got a couple of the Lea sticks from Joe, along with some other really nice products (Thanks Joe!) and I find them to be good sticks. If they can be better, looks like I'll have to track down the new ones. I do love the Wilkinson stick, but have yet to completely get over the electric blue color.

1 73
 04-08-2012, 10:42 AM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
The stick really works making good lather,as you can see in this pic (thanks for foroafeitado member Teucro for it) :

[Image: IMG_5889.jpg]

So yes,it seems that we have a good soap now.Biggrin

86 7,124
 04-08-2012, 12:26 PM
User Info
That's what I was waiting to hear!

Excellent!

32 6,311
 04-08-2012, 12:59 PM
  • Leon
  • Porto, Portugal
User Info
(04-07-2012, 05:33 PM)Teiste Wrote: Why did they changed the formulations and dumped tallow?

Probably veggie lobbyists, my friend.
They're brainwashing people so they believe all animal derived products are bad.

I'm glad they've listened and made a good soap.

congratulations.

4 313
 04-08-2012, 01:30 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(04-08-2012, 12:59 PM)Leon Wrote:
(04-07-2012, 05:33 PM)Teiste Wrote: Why did they changed the formulations and dumped tallow?

Probably veggie lobbyists, my friend.
They're brainwashing people so they believe all animal derived products are bad.

I'm glad they've listened and made a good soap.

congratulations.

My good friend,Im not sure about that,I think is just profit and thats all.However it seems that Palm oil have been not that cheap as tallow.

86 7,124
 04-08-2012, 02:13 PM
  • Leon
  • Porto, Portugal
User Info
(04-08-2012, 01:30 PM)Teiste Wrote: My good friend,Im not sure about that,I think is just profit and thats all.However it seems that Palm oil have been not that cheap as tallow.

I suppose so. It might be cheaper for a soap manufacturer in Europe to import palm oil from Malaysia than to process tallow inside Europe.

4 313
 04-12-2012, 10:07 AM
User Info
I have asked for this to be made in a tub with a screw cap on it. We will see what I can do.

5 273
 05-07-2012, 01:29 AM
User Info
So, I've used the new LEA stick on Saturday. Grabbed my Simfix Grosvenor 2-band and face-lathered it...

[Image: p1060073l.jpg]

...and had a wonderful shave with it! I was definitely not a fan of the former version of this stick (I would not recommend it to anyone), but this new version is very good! A nice shaving soap, and an extremely nice bargain at its price-point.

The lather is thick, creamy,, with good protection and glide.

For me, is at least, as good as the current production La Toja stick - although I prefer the scent of La Toja. The scent of LEA is somewhat artificial, similar to the former LEA version, but I do not find it offensive. All in all, a nice addition to my rotation and a great alternative for when you are on the road.

This is the living proof that reformulations are not always for the worse - this LEA shaving stick improved greatly in this new version. Smile

2 5,532
 05-10-2012, 08:10 AM
  • Theido
  • Shave Stick Proponent
  • Colorado
User Info
Joe any idea when Shave A Buck will get the new formulation of the Lea stick? If this question is out of order I can ask it in private message, don't want to step on any toes.

1 111
 05-10-2012, 09:15 AM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Thanks for your impressions,Oversaturn.Now time to do the same with La Toja.

86 7,124
 05-10-2012, 07:08 PM
  • GreekGuy
  • Not saving money yet....
  • La Jolla, CA
User Info
(05-10-2012, 09:15 AM)Teiste Wrote: Thanks for your impressions,Oversaturn.Now time to do the same with La Toja.

I fear they are unwilling to listen, my friend. Although I did hear they asked for your input. Can you enlighten us any further as to the matter?

9 541
 05-10-2012, 07:13 PM
  • Tonality
  • Attempted Soap Sabbatical
  • Boston
User Info
(05-10-2012, 08:10 AM)Theido Wrote: Joe any idea when Shave A Buck will get the new formulation of the Lea stick? If this question is out of order I can ask it in private message, don't want to step on any toes.

I'm interested in this as well. Lea is a product I have yet to try, so waiting for the new formulation is more appealing.

35 1,732
 05-26-2012, 08:02 PM
User Info
anyone know where these can be purchased online?

8 2,718