04-22-2013, 01:26 PM
User Info
I don't face-lather much; I mostly bowl-lather. Still, when I travel or in situations like the last couple of weeks (when we've had visitors, and I'm kicked out of 'my' bathroom), I do face-lather.

I've found it easy to face-lather with my badger brushes (really liking my Thater Stout at the moment) and also with my synthetics. However, using a boar to face-lather has been a non-starter for me.

My Omega Pro is doable, but my Semogue 610 really sucks (in my hands). I know some people use them happily, but all it does is fling lather around when I use it. I think this is because I use painting strokes rather than circular strokes. Even when I am conscious of the stroke I'm using, I don't find it very rewarding to face-lather with a boar brush.

Do you guys have any pointers?

37 1,731
 04-22-2013, 03:18 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
I haven't gone the whole hog myself, but I do have 3 badger/boar mixed knots from Semogue and one from Omega. I predominately face lather and have enjoyed all the afore mentioned brushes for this purpose...

91 17,618
 04-22-2013, 04:53 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Yohann , facelathering with a boar brush using painting stokes is not very effective , I will say.I have tried several times to do the same with Omega , Vulfix and Semogue brushes and guess what ? Yes , not very good results at all.I will tell you to use circular strokes , but of course , this is up to you.

86 7,123
 04-22-2013, 05:01 PM
  • Shaun
  • St Peters, NSW, Australia
User Info
Circular followed with painting strokes works for me. Do whatever works. There is no point blaming the brush/soap/razor when the technique has not been properly developed. The thing to do is to develop your own technique, though, and not follow an instruction manual as it were. Advice is well meaning and might provide a good solution, but you need to practise when you have the required information and see what works best for you, and you alone.

0 1,592
 04-22-2013, 06:48 PM
User Info
I've never flung lather around with a boar before, but I always do circular strokes and then painting strokes to paint the lather on thick.

9 2,987
 04-22-2013, 08:04 PM
User Info
(04-22-2013, 06:48 PM)asharperrazor Wrote: I've never flung lather around with a boar before, but I always do circular strokes and then painting strokes to paint the lather on thick.

+1 i always use circular strokes, then finish off with paint-brush strokes. Good luck, Yohann.

74 20,795
 04-22-2013, 08:44 PM
User Info
Johnny? Where is the king of piggie when you need him to chime in? Tongue

63 2,125
 04-22-2013, 09:47 PM
User Info
(04-22-2013, 06:48 PM)asharperrazor Wrote: I've never flung lather around with a boar before, but I always do circular strokes and then painting strokes to paint the lather on <snip>

I have flung proto lather with inexpensive badgers. The Shea Moisture brush comes to mind. It lasted all of 2 shaves.

Even the least expensive of boars has never done that in my experience. Maybe if too much pressure is applied against the face I suppose it could happen. Or if huge lofts are used or far too energetic swirling is done. I have absolutely no intention of experimenting with any of that. Smile

32 6,301
 04-22-2013, 09:53 PM
User Info
I use circular strokes as well. But flinging lather? I wonder if your compensating for boars not holding as much water as a badger and thus not shaking the water out. ie leaving it way too wet, Just a thought. I did have some very unusable lather when I started using boars for this reason.

2 805
 04-22-2013, 11:15 PM
  • Johnny
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
(04-22-2013, 08:44 PM)cessnabird Wrote: Johnny? Where is the king of piggie when you need him to chime in? Tongue

Sorry I'm late to the party, the wife had the darn computer tied up all night.

I do either a circular motion or what I call a scrubby motion for a few minutes, then I do light paint strokes to smooth things out. I have far better luck face lathering with my boars than I do my one badger.

173 23,291
 04-23-2013, 06:38 AM
User Info
I apparently gave a false impression that I didn't use circular strokes in my OP.

When I face-lather, I do use circular strokes. I do find that when I use painting strokes, the lather gets flung. Anyway, I don't think it's an issue of too much water, as I shake my brushes dry before starting up. It's just a matter of getting used to the boar brushes for face lathering - as I've found with other aspects of shaving, if I don't keep up the practice, I lose my skill with those items or techniques.

37 1,731
 04-23-2013, 10:43 AM
User Info
I'm stumped. Huh

I've flung water very badly when learning synthetic brush techniques, but once I figured out to mash that knot into my face a little more, it stopped.

I seriously have no idea why lather would fling with a boar brush.

Do you do the paintbrush strokes in rapid fire? Ie, very very fast.

I do pretty long strokes that aren't very fast with minimal pressure when painting.

9 2,987
 04-25-2013, 10:30 AM
  • Blue line
  • East Central Alabama
User Info
Circular strokes with AGRESSION!

2 334
 04-25-2013, 07:32 PM
  • TRBeck
  • Unregistered
User Info
I have not encountered this particular problem with boar, especially not a shorter-lofted one like the 610. One thing that does occur to me is that boar brushes need to be soaked but then shaken dry before lathering. Otherwise, the water in them comes streaming out without pattern or warning. Badger traps water and predictably releases it. Boar doesn't trap water; it absorbs it or lets it go. Thus I always soak to saturate the bristles, then shake it dry, then load the brush and build lather by adding water back. If there's a lot of water in the brush initially, some water and proto-lather could get flung, though usually I think you'd just have a big water dump while loading the brush. Just a thought about what might be going on...

05-01-2013, 04:03 AM
User Info
Well, it seem like my issues with face-lathering with a boar brush stemmed from the fact that I don't like short loft brushes. The 610 didn't really work for me, so I traded it to another Nook member for a Semogue 2000.

I had a 2000 in the past, and really liked it, though I never tried to face-lather with it. I tried that today, with no issues at all. Lots of lather and no flinging.

I think some combination of the pressure I use and the short loft with the stiffer bristles gave rise to all my issues with it.

Of all the Semogue boars that I ever tried (including all the LEs), the 2000 has always suited my preferences the best. The first Semogue I ever had was a 2000 (from a long time ago), and I've tried dozens of Semogues since then --- it's still the best for me.

(I do prefer my Omega Pro to all the Semogues, though).

37 1,731
 05-01-2013, 07:51 AM
  • Crag
  • Menifee, Ca 92586
User Info

I face-lather exclusively.

I was breaking in that 2000 on my face and the first few shaves were a little rough, but I figured out that if I soak the bristles a little longer (5min or so) they would soften a bit more and the shave would go better. I think that the circular motions are the way to go, but my B&B Essential was a little scratchy doing it that way...I have to be honest, I palm lathered first to make the lather start, then finished it on my face. The B&B is a scratchy lil bugger, but that 2000 was much less so. I was PIF'd the 1470 and it was broken in, but has gotten even softer with my time using it. I aslo soaked the 2000 bristles in 9-parts Distilled water with 1-part of conditioner, and that took the edge off the scratchiness.

Overall it has been a very good trek with the Boars...I'm addicted now!

68 1,383