04-22-2013, 01:57 PM
User Info
Connaught Shaving has had or does have the Omega 36 brushes on special pricing. Never having experienced a premium Omega I had to pick one up. OK, so it turned out to be 2 in case my buddy wanted one, but who's counting?

USPS and/or Royal Mail operated extremely slowly and the brushes took over 2 weeks to arrive, but they finally arrived today. First impression, nice size brush for face lathering which is what I do 100% of the time for a shave. Nice handle. OK, it's of the premium line and the handle reflects that. It's a solid lucite(?) handle. The golden ring around the knot is a nice touch. It's a very nice looking brush, but as with any boar, it felt terrible because it's new.

Lately Omega has been treating their boar bristles in some manner to break them in, then treating them further which just makes them feel like a typical boar. As I always do I hand lathered the brush to clean it. Typical for the new Omegas and their treated bristles, this boar has already been broken in. It's more or less dry now and feels terrific.

I haven't used it for shaving yet, that might happen tomorrow, but the price is right for the quality, it's broken in, just requires washing to make it very useable, and it feels great. I have quite a few other Omegas. I have no doubt this brush will be at least as good as the others.

If there are any surprises tomorrow I'll post them, otherwise, this will be it. No news will be good news.

$20 for a premium Omega? My buddy didn't want his (I didn't ask him first), so I might just hold onto it as a spare. I've spent $20 and gotten much less. It boggles my mind how Omega can make such a high quality brush for so little money. Incredible!

32 6,311
 04-22-2013, 02:31 PM
User Info
About the hair used in the "Premium" Omegas, here's some words by Paul Mayhew, owner of SuffolkSupplies/ConnaughtShaving

2 5,532
 04-22-2013, 03:21 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Sounds like $20 well invested, enjoy Brian!

91 17,875
 04-22-2013, 05:24 PM
  • Arcadies
  • Greeneville, TN
User Info
Hopefully yours are much better quality than the "premium" #39 I received. You can read about it, as well as Teiste's bad experience with the #37 here.
I suppose it's a toss up to whether or not you actually get a "premium" brush...maybe that is why Connaught has had them on clearance for so long.

31 1,510
 04-22-2013, 05:29 PM
User Info
Brian,

It may be that they are flagging the tips as shown here.

http://www.shavenook.com/thread-brief-vi...ut-semogue

1 2,827
 04-22-2013, 05:32 PM
User Info
I just got a #45, and the tips have split amazingly quickly on mine too. I like mine so far, I hope you enjoy yours too.

0 123
 04-22-2013, 07:50 PM
User Info
I'm not going to say that the tips aren't flagged, but I've seen flagging before and this doesn't look like any flagging I've ever seen. It just looks like the nicely split tips of a broken in boar. The last few Omegas I've purchased were all the same way. Just lather once to wash it and it's broken in.

I sure hope I miss out on all the bad luck others have had with their premium Omegas. I suspect the premium part is the solid handle.

If it poops itself I'll be sure to report back here.

32 6,311
 04-22-2013, 11:09 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I have four of their premium brushes and love them all. The 35, 37, 40, and 43. If you don't like yours Brian, let me know.

173 23,553
 04-23-2013, 10:02 AM
User Info
So far I like it Johnny. The only comment I have so far is that it's lost maybe 1/2 a dozen bristles. That isn't typical for Omegas IMO.

32 6,311