04-22-2013, 07:42 PM
  • savagejoerude
  • If you ain't a LOSER, you ain't livin'!!
  • New Orleans USA
User Info
After seeing many new wet shavers problems I am thinking that a lot of their problems extend from improper prepping and post shave routines. Some of us are elaborate. Some very simple. I myself enjoy the therapeutic aspect of wet shaving and I'm sure to some I'm a bit overboard. All I can say is this is what works for me. I hope some of you extremely experienced guys chime in and describe your prep/post routines for the new guys....

I developed my routine from several barber routines and an awful lot of searching of The Shave Nook and other forums. I tried differing things and relied on common sense. To me the prep is as important as any technique or tool. I have figured that hydration is the key. Post shave is also important as I feel the pores must be closed quickly to avoid ingrown hairs and irritation. The aftershave needs to fit the skin type. Alcohol based is great for me as I have very oily skin. Well here goes !!!

This is how a Savage preps.... With or without a shower 1st I do the same thing. 1st I do a pre shave wash with glycerine soap. I use "Clearly Natural". I lather it up quite a bit with my hands and instead of rinsing I apply a hot towel for at least a minute. Next I apply "Shave Secret" shave oil as a pre shave oil. Only 4 drops. This I massage into my beard very well. I follow with another hot towel. I then face lather using the ultra-lather method with my brush of choice. I rinse and re-apply lather between each pass and when finished I rinse with cold water. while my face is wet I apply witch hazel and when it dries it's time for after shave of the day.

Then I'm off to face the world... And I feel GREAT !!! Happy Shaves !!!

5 1,151
 04-22-2013, 07:51 PM
User Info
My prep involves a warm face wash with glycerin soap, then either a few minutes with a hot towel or a few minutes splashing hot water onto my face. I face lather after this, in circular motions, for at least a few minutes before the blade touches my face. Afterward, I rinse my face with cool water, pat dry, and apply witch hazel while I clean up. After I've cleaned the tools and the sink and the witch hazel has mostly dried, I apply an alcohol-based aftershave.

2 362
 04-22-2013, 07:54 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
I had so many routines, pre/post/night before/morning before coffee. It's all behind me now. Good face wash with your favorite moisturizing face soap, good lather from your favorite shaving soap and that's it. Splash cold water after the shave, apply your favorite AS and smile in the mirror Wink

88 4,233
 04-22-2013, 08:08 PM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
I always take a hot shower prior to shaving. While in the shower I wash my face with a glycerin soap. Either Clearly Natural or MR GLO. As soon as I get out of the shower I apply a pre shave cream. I've used both Proraso's, Vitos, 3P, and Prep but currently I'm rotating between Vitos and Proraso. I leave the pre shave cream on for about 3 minutes or so and rinse off with warm water. I then proceed with face lathering . After shaving I rinse my face with cold water and pat dry with a towel. I then apply an alcohol based aftershave splash.

45 3,955
 04-22-2013, 08:13 PM
  • Tonality
  • Attempted Soap Sabbatical
  • Boston
User Info
Always a shower, then to the sink with some warm water splashes and Razorock Shave Lube as a preshave. Out if everything I've tried it is consistently the best.

Post shave is always a warm water splash to rinse off the lather, then cold water splash followed by alum. Rinse off alum with cold water and apply alcohol based, menthol infused aftershave splash! Alls good with the works.

35 1,732
 04-22-2013, 09:53 PM
User Info
I shower while my brush soaks in warm water and then lather up my soap before splashing some warm water on my face. If I am using a soap that does not contain much glycerin I will use AoS preshave or Billy Jealousy Hydroplane as a preshave.

I remove excess lather with warm water and end my shaves with a cold water rinse. I used to try various aftershaves, but they all seemed to break me out, so I have abandoned them in favor of the simple, but effective, cold water rinse.

I never had a single skin issue or problem when using cartridge razors and haven't had any major issues with DE razors, so I've gotta believe that my prep and post shave routine is a pretty good one. I tend to think that one of the issues some new folks have is experimenting with too many products. Trying too many different soaps, creams, and aftershaves can't be easy on skin that may already be traumatized thanks to poor technique.

Sent from my Transformer using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

6 327
 04-22-2013, 10:08 PM
User Info
Warm shower and steam to soften my beard. Come out and soak my brush while I set up for the shave. Rub some warm water and then start loading the brush while my face is damp.

After shaving, wash with warm water and then rub alum all over the face. Then wash my brush and clean up everything. Splash my face with ice cold water from the fridge. Wipe and done. Sometimes use a balm when using a DE and have done 3 passes with XTG.

I too skipped after shave as it use to irritate my skin. When done I simply feel happy that I started wet shaving Biggrin

7 128
 04-22-2013, 10:45 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I shower at night so my mornings are devoted to just the shave.

Let brush and scuttle soak in HOT water for about 10-minutes then, rinse face with very warm water and wash face with Speick Natural Soap. Rinse with very warm water. Face lather with whatever soap/cream I decide to use. First pass then rinse with warm water and reapply lather. After second pass and touch up, rinse face well with very warm water. After cleaning equipment, rinse face with cold water several times and pat dry. Apply whatever alcohol based after shave I choose and after drying, apply the balm of my choice.

173 23,507
 04-23-2013, 06:05 AM
User Info
I've found what works best for me is a cold-water, pre-shower shave.

My first step is a cold face rinse, followed by a quick wash with a glycerin soap. Another rinse to wash it off, following by a pre-shave cream or oil (Proraso, PREP, or occasionally AoS oil).

I let the pre-shave sit while I get the rest of the equipment ready. I build the lather and usually do a 3-pass shave.

After the last pass I give another cold rinse to wash off any remaining lather from my face and neck. I then apply some witch hazel (always) and alum (if there's weepers).

I then hop into the shower. Once finished, I quickly dry off and apply my aftershave splash or balm.

10 2,062
 04-23-2013, 07:37 AM
  • EHV
  • Milford,PA
User Info
+1

I used to use a pre-shave product, (Proraso, Trumper's Skin Food, pure glycerin, etc.) and a hot towel but I've eliminated both of them after finding that for me, they didn't make a difference. I also shave before a shower so that's not a factor either.

At the very end, either witch hazel or an alcohol based A/S followed by USB, specifically, the soft Shea Nilotica version.

(04-22-2013, 07:54 PM)beartrap Wrote: I had so many routines, pre/post/night before/morning before coffee. It's all behind me now. Good face wash with your favorite moisturizing face soap, good lather from your favorite shaving soap and that's it. Splash cold water after the shave, apply your favorite AS and smile in the mirror Wink

6 905
 04-23-2013, 08:11 AM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
I can't say that I have perfected my routine, but I have been able to cut out a lot of things that didn't make a difference to my results or enjoyment. I shower before bed so this along with a cup of coffee is my morning wake-up.

Pre-shave: Wash face with hot water and Noxzema (the kind with moisturizers), I leave this on my face for a minute and then rinse off with hot water.

Lather and shave

Post-shave: Splash generously with witch hazel and clean-up the shave gear and counter area. Once witch hazel has dried I apply the splash of choice and go on with a nice day.

127 2,377
 04-23-2013, 08:49 AM
User Info
Great helpful topic savagejoe, thanks!

Cool coincidence that I have Clearly Natural Soap as well. I just never thought of using it for a pre-shave prep. I'll be sure to try that next time.

Thanks!

3 270
 04-23-2013, 09:56 AM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
Here are my routines for what they are worth...

Pre-Shave routine:
  • At the sink, splash face with warm water.
  • Wash face "thoroughly" with a pre-shave soap, examples HERE.
  • "Lightly" rinse face with warm water.
  • Massage a few drops of NOW Vegetable Glycerine into beard.
  • Begin lathering...
After first pass (2 pass shaver here), "lightly" rinse with warm water, massage a few more drops of glycerine into beard, then re-lather...

Post-Shave routine:
  • Rinse face with warm water.
  • Then re-rinse face with cold water.
  • Gently rub Alum block over freshly shaved face.
  • Clean up and put away shaving stuff.
  • Rinse face again with cold water, don't want to leave the properties of the Alum block sitting on (my) skin.
  • Very lightly pat down freshly shaved face.
  • Apply Thayers (alcohol free) Witch Hazel.
  • 10 to 15 minutes later apply aftershave balm (alcohol free).
The above procedure may seem excess, but it really doesn't take that long (2 minutes)...

Edit: Fixed formatting.

23 1,872
 04-23-2013, 10:15 AM
User Info
I've recently changed up my pre-shave prep and have noticed that my shaves have been better.

before I'd just splash warm water on my face and then face lather and shave. now, I wash my face with a bar of clearly natural soap. before rinsing off the soap, I'll apply a hot towel to it for a minute and then wipe off the soap. I'll then rinse off the hot towel and apply it to my face again. After that, I'll face lather and then shave.

I have some of the shave secret pre-shave oil. I ought to try that for my shave tomorrow or Thursday night before I begin face lathering to see how it works for me.

40 5,830
 04-23-2013, 03:43 PM
User Info
My preshave prep, consists of only face lathering in the summer. In the winter I do the soap/hot towel routine in addition to face lathering. FWIW, I'm in no hurry when I face lather. I deliberately WANT it to take about 3 minutes give or take.

My post is a rinse with the basin water and a wipe with one of my perfect shave towels and a splash (coating really) of one of my products.

32 6,309
 04-23-2013, 06:10 PM
  • savagejoerude
  • If you ain't a LOSER, you ain't livin'!!
  • New Orleans USA
User Info
AWESOME RESULTS!!! So far we have heard for some very experienced wet shavers. For the most part we share many things in our prospective routines. As I stated earlier we ALL pretty much set up our beards for being as soft and hydrated as possible. I also think almost everyone uses a cold rinse. Witch Hazel is common as well as a pre shave wash. My advise to anyone having problems is to go over this thread. Use common sense and you may solve your problems. Thanks to the great members here for posting. GOOD LUCK and HAPPY SHAVES !!!

5 1,151
 04-24-2013, 05:28 AM
User Info
A few years ago when I started all this I tried several pre shave routines and products and really never noticed any difference between them. I also never found any prep that worked better than a clean (just washed) face wet from a warm water rinse.

I still have a lot of Proraso pre shave cream left. I sometime use it in the summer as an aftershave.

0 140
 04-24-2013, 10:46 AM
User Info
Mine used to be simple as far as pre shave goes. I'd just take a shower.
Now I use Speick natural soap if I have it as a pre shave.
Then Face lather with a brush soaked in cool water
Then Shave, rinsing between passes with cold water. Warm water never touches any skin that the razor has passed over.
Post shave can be as simple as a cold water rinse followed by alum with another cold water rinse after and finally followed by Thayers no alcohol witch hazel.
But I've found I can skip the alum if I am finishing up with Kramperts with no ill effects.

6 1,224
 04-27-2013, 07:43 AM
User Info
I change at least parts of my routine daily: sometimes because I'm in a hurry, and sometimes for novelty. I don't find much real difference. I like Proraso preshave cream, so I use it. I have purchased a number of brushless creams, and I sometimes use those as preshaves. But I can get a fine shave by rinsing my face in warm water, lathering with Williams, and having at it.

One thing I do: I don't rinse my face between passes. Instead, I dip my hand in warm water and rub it over my face, spreading around the leftover lather. I use that to judge where I need to focus on the next pass. Sometimes I don't even relather.

Also, I have begun rinsing my face thoroughly with a warm, very wet washcloth after the last pass. For me, cold water doesn't remove all of the lather. I then follow with a cold water rinse, followed by aftershave.

But I will note that I never had many skin problems, and I have had none since I gave up electric razors many, many years ago. Because I am an easy shave, I don't have to be as careful as others with more sensitive skin.

The truth is, too, that I got good shaves from Mach 3s. I did cut myself more frequently with the cartridge razors. But I really went to straights for fun and then to double-edges because I find the price of cartridges absurd, and they have an outsized negative effect on the environment.

1 69
 04-28-2013, 06:30 AM
User Info
(04-22-2013, 07:42 PM)savagejoerude Wrote: After seeing many new wet shavers problems I am thinking that a lot of their problems extend from improper prepping and post shave routines. ...

There are many, I fear, that might suffer from their pre and post shave routine. Excessively hot water chased by a new pile of product applied to the face are parts of the ordeal newbies can inflict upon themselves.

Sometimes less is more. Water less hot. Fewer passes. Fewer products applied. Often it's better to just let practicing technique, and finding the right equipment combo that works for you get you to consistent BBS shaves.

3 285