04-22-2013, 09:30 PM
User Info
One of the nicest aspects of traditional wet shaving that I've run across is the breadth and depth of products available, seemingly tailored to every need that a guy could want. Razors, Blades, Brushes, Shaving Soaps and Creams and Croaps, etc., the variety of offerings is just stunning.

But perhaps the area that seems to be the most individualistic at times is the world of After Shaves. It makes sense, considering that for some, it's like choosing your personal "scent" / "cologne" in some ways. It's what you'll be smelling and others will smell on you. Of course there are many AS that fade quickly, allowing us to then use a cologne of our choice. Then you factor in skin sensitivity, the love (or hate) of the "bracing / burning" sensation of using alcohol-based Splashes vs. Balms or Lotions (or Shea Butter), and it turns into an area where personal preference is king.

As I've jumped into the world of traditional shaving, I've been looking for products that work for my sensitive skin, and for products that stay away from as many synthetic / toxic chemicals as possible, while still being effective and excellent.

Thanks to all you veterans out there, I found some amazing All-Natural Kickbutt Shaving Soap Products like Martin de Candre, Mike's Natural Soaps, Mystic Water, Queen Charlotte Soaps and more.

I was curious if there were any After Shave equivalents to the efficacy and purity of those Natural Shaving Soaps. And thanks to so many recommendations, I found Krampert's Finest Bay Rum Acadian Spice After Shave.

[Image: QtMfPB4.jpg]

Initially, I wasn't sure if I'd like a traditional Bay Rum scent, but speaking with Mr. Krampert, I was told it was nothing like the funky smell that many would associate with a "Bay Rum." It's also lovingly hand-crafted in small batches in Maine, U.S.A. So I decided to try it. My package arrived quickly and safely. I eagerly opened up the bottle and took a whiff:

A *natural* gentle fragrance bathed my nose. Nothing overwhelming; just something that made me think of another time. I was planning on shaving the next day, so I put back the bottle and waited for the morning.

The next morning, I prepped myself for a traditional DE shave, and after finishing up and using a bit of Witch Hazel Toner, I shook the bottle of Krampert's Finest Bay Rum, and gingerly applied it to my face.

There's an initial subtle burn (there is Alcohol in it), but it goes away quickly; it's nowhere near as intense as, say, Floid Amber After Shave. But what makes the experience so pleasant is the scent:

It's a proprietary mixture of all natural essential oils and spices, and my nose picks up the smell of *real* cinnamon, cloves and fragrant spices.

It reminds me of the Holidays with family and friends. There's a happy feeling that gets evoked from this wonderful spice blend, and with my sensitive nose and personal experience as a longtime cook, I can tell this smells like the real cinnamon and spices I use to cook every day. Wink

Besides the excellent natural fragrance, is the skin sensation after applying it:

My face and skin feel soft and moisturized; not dried out like how traditional alcohol-heavy splashes might leave one's skin. I was very surprised, but then remembered SharpSpine's comment about how moisturizing it was; it really is! Smile

45 minutes later and I can still smell a faint, gentle undertone of the cinnamon, cloves and spices, but it's never overpowering.

And best of all, it only registers as a "1" on the EWG toxicity database, which is awesome! (the lower the number, the better. Many commercial / mainstream products I've checked are much higher.)

http://www.ewg.org/skindeep/product.php?prod_id=503854

[Image: Km2Zm31.jpg]

From the pleasing, genuinely satisfying scent, to the gentle, moisturizing properties after applying it to your skin, to the all-natural ingredients, Krampert's Finest Bay Rum Acadian Spice After Shave has quickly become my favorite after shave. Highly recommended. Smile

Krampert's Finest Bay Rum Acadian Spice After Shave
http://www.krampertsfinest.com/

(Score (out of a maximum 10.0))

* Scent: 9.5
* Moisturizing: 9.0
* Quality: 10.0

* Overall: 9.5

3 270
 04-23-2013, 06:21 AM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
Great review and I'm glad you decided to give it a try. It really is a great aftershave.

45 3,955
 04-23-2013, 07:20 AM
User Info
If you're looking for a Bay Rum aftershave, you cannot do better than Krampert's Finest. For scent, I've tried lots of BRs, and Krampert's Finest hits the "middle" notes, not too "Malibu Rum" and not too clovey. For skincare, it doesn't sting too much, but the alcohol does its job in toning the skin. Witch hazel and glycerine help in moisturizing. Its a great product.

I just want to issue a word of caution though about using anything the EWG rates or ranks: every year, they cause an uproar about sunscreen ingredients and base it on incomplete research. It always causes alarm bells to go off (especially among parents of young children such as myself) and then recognized groups such as the American Academy of Dermatology have to remind everyone that sunscreen is indeed safe and important. I'm not saying that EWG doesn't have their hearts in the right place (a Google search reveals their intentions might be murkier), but I think they could stand to tone down their rhetoric and focus on the science.

72 1,407
 04-23-2013, 07:42 AM
User Info
(04-23-2013, 07:20 AM)jpakstis Wrote: If you're looking for a Bay Rum aftershave, you cannot do better than Krampert's Finest. For scent, I've tried lots of BRs, and Krampert's Finest hits the "middle" notes, not too "Malibu Rum" and not too clovey. For skincare, it doesn't sting too much, but the alcohol does its job in toning the skin. Witch hazel and glycerine help in moisturizing. Its a great product.

I just want to issue a word of caution though about using anything the EWG rates or ranks: every year, they cause an uproar about sunscreen ingredients and base it on incomplete research. It always causes alarm bells to go off (especially among parents of young children such as myself) and then recognized groups such as the American Academy of Dermatology have to remind everyone that sunscreen is indeed safe and important. I'm not saying that EWG doesn't have their hearts in the right place (a Google search reveals their intentions might be murkier), but I think they could stand to tone down their rhetoric and focus on the science.

Thanks tgutc, Josh. Smile Glad to know you both enjoy Krampert's Finest as well!

Josh, thanks for the 411. Oh yah, I definitely take their information with a grain of salt. One thing I do like on the EWG DB is that you can cross-reference any ingredient they're flagging and check for yourself to see how detailed the research may be. It's also good that they admit with their own rankings if the data is extensive, fair, incomplete, or limited, etc. (so you can use that along with their ratings to decide if it's worth getting worried over or not). I just use it as a starting point, and then research some more myself. Wink

Thanks!

3 270
 04-23-2013, 09:02 AM
User Info
(04-23-2013, 07:42 AM)shave_rookie Wrote: Thanks tgutc, Josh. Smile Glad to know you both enjoy Krampert's Finest as well!

I love it. I'm not really supposed to use alcohol-based AS, but this one is one I can definitely tolerate (Proraso green, despite all the good stuff in it makes my face turn redder than the 99 Luftballons!)

(04-23-2013, 07:42 AM)shave_rookie Wrote: Josh, thanks for the 411. Oh yah, I definitely take their information with a grain of salt. One thing I do like on the EWG DB is that you can cross-reference any ingredient they're flagging and check for yourself to see how detailed the research may be. It's also good that they admit with their own rankings if the data is extensive, fair, incomplete, or limited, etc. (so you can use that along with their ratings to decide if it's worth getting worried over or not). I just use it as a starting point, and then research some more myself. Wink

Thanks!

Yeah, I meant to temper my comment with a "the best research is the one you do yourself" but I forgot. I think the questions are useful, but, in the world of parenting (i.e. the anti-vaccination movement from earlier this decade), it only takes a small statement to set things off. I just wish they weren't so inflammatory, but, like I said, their hearts are in the right place.

72 1,407
 04-24-2013, 03:39 AM
  • TRBeck
  • Unregistered
User Info
I really have to try Krampert's. I'm a bay rum devotee, and I prefer supporting artisan producers when I can. This one seems like a natural (no pun intended) choice for me. Next time I place an order with Phil, a bottle will make it into the cart, no doubt.

04-24-2013, 09:00 AM
  • Attila
  • The Hungarian Blade
  • Vancouver, Canada
User Info
I cannot recommend Mr. Krampert's bay rum AS enough. I use it and really, if I had to pick only one AS to use this would be it. It really has the best skin care properties of any AS I own. Also, I don't find any burn after using it! I have very sensitive skin that does get red after using most any mainstream AS but not after Kramperts. Somehow, it is the most mild for my skin and yet my skin feels soft and moisturized all day, even in the winter. The scent of it is amazing, I really wish it lasted even longer but using natural ingredients I do understand does limit how long it can last. I for one do not want Brian to extend it artificially.

I can truly say I will always have this AS in my shave den.

14 870
 04-24-2013, 10:08 AM
User Info
(04-24-2013, 03:39 AM)TRBeck Wrote: I really have to try Krampert's. I'm a bay rum devotee, and I prefer supporting artisan producers when I can. This one seems like a natural (no pun intended) choice for me. Next time I place an order with Phil, a bottle will make it into the cart, no doubt.

Hi Tim,

Please let us know how you like it. I'm always curious to hear how my fellow Shave Nookers feel about products I'm using as well. Thanks.

(04-24-2013, 09:00 AM)Attila Wrote: I cannot recommend Mr. Krampert's bay rum AS enough. I use it and really, if I had to pick only one AS to use this would be it. It really has the best skin care properties of any AS I own. Also, I don't find any burn after using it! I have very sensitive skin that does get red after using most any mainstream AS but not after Kramperts. Somehow, it is the most mild for my skin and yet my skin feels soft and moisturized all day, even in the winter. The scent of it is amazing, I really wish it lasted even longer but using natural ingredients I do understand does limit how long it can last. I for one do not want Brian to extend it artificially.

I can truly say I will always have this AS in my shave den.

Hi Attila,

Definitely agree. I have sensitive skin, and there are a variety of products out there that cause a reaction for me, but thankfully, Krampert's Finest Bay Rum Acadian Spice doesn't.

Like you, I'm always happy at how soft and moisturized my skin feels after using this After Shave Splash, and I really enjoy the natural, fragrant scent. Thumbsup

3 270
 04-24-2013, 12:40 PM
User Info
Thanks for the review Ken!

It's as natural as I can make it and still have it do it's job. That isn't to say it's 100% natural though.

I learned something new today. Prior to your post I never even knew that EWG existed. They must have gotten the ingredient list from the website (a guess). FWIW, they list ethanol first, maybe beacaue it has the "3" rating? Or maybe they got an old ingredient list when ethanol (rum) was my primary alcohol. Today ethanol is a much smaller component of total. Today most of it comes from the Witch Hazel which isn't even on their radar so what's up with that? Anyway, ethanol is just another way to say ethyl alcohol, which millions of people consume every day. In 2 splashes there is so little ethyl that I feel it's of no concern whatsoever. (written as I consume a pre dinner adult beverage laced with ethanol Wink )

32 6,309
 04-24-2013, 05:05 PM
User Info
(04-24-2013, 12:40 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: Thanks for the review Ken!

It's as natural as I can make it and still have it do it's job. That isn't to say it's 100% natural though.

I learned something new today. Prior to your post I never even knew that EWG existed. They must have gotten the ingredient list from the website (a guess). FWIW, they list ethanol first, maybe beacaue it has the "3" rating? Or maybe they got an old ingredient list when ethanol (rum) was my primary alcohol. Today ethanol is a much smaller component of total. Today most of it comes from the Witch Hazel which isn't even on their radar so what's up with that? Anyway, ethanol is just another way to say ethyl alcohol, which millions of people consume every day. In 2 splashes there is so little ethyl that I feel it's of no concern whatsoever. (written as I consume a pre dinner adult beverage laced with ethanol Wink )

Hi Brian,

I need to thank *you*! for creating such an awesome, effective, and natural After Shave. Thumbsup

Yah, EWG's format lists ingredients by toxicity level, so it's not a "percentage" of one ingredient vs. another. They just list the higher rated ingredients first. And as you say, it's not the be all or end all, since the amount of each ingredient also would affect things (and it's great to hear that you emphasize Witch Hazel in your product). Smile

I get to shave tomorrow morning, and use Krampert's Finest again. It brings a smile to my face. Biggrin

Thanks again for the great handcrafted after shave!

3 270
 04-24-2013, 08:08 PM
User Info
I agree with the OP, KF's bay rum is amazing.

the only thing I'm not crazy about is the bottle. a lot of times when pressing the cap 'open', the liquid can squirt out.

40 5,830
 04-24-2013, 09:07 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
KFBR is one of my absolute favourites!

91 17,850
 04-26-2013, 06:04 PM
User Info
(04-24-2013, 09:07 PM)ben74 Wrote: KFBR is one of my absolute favourites!

it's the only AS that I have that my lady likes..

bonus points for that one, Brian. Tongue

40 5,830