04-23-2013, 01:17 AM
  • Teddyboy
  • Guilty, with an explanation
  • NYC
User Info
Can someone explain what is meant by an old-fashioned scent? Sometimes referred to as an "old man smell," and the like. I honestly do not understand how a scent becomes old-fashioned unless one does not like a product that's been around awhile; e.g., Old Spice, Brut,etc.,

1 739
 04-23-2013, 02:31 AM
  • EHV
  • Milford,PA
User Info
I guess this is another of those YMMV's but I consider "old fashioned" to be something that smells like a traditional barbershop. Scents that have been around for along while and evoke classic, traditional aromas from years gone by.

Clubman original,Barbasol original Old Spice, Brut, Skin Bracer, Aqua Velva,Canoe EdT, lavender/vanilla/spice blends,etc.

Newer incarnations being Rive Gauche EdT, Taylors Shave Shop cologne and even things like LeMale, Cuba Gold, Perry Ellis 360 White and other modern fougere scents. Even Brylcreem and Groom and Clean hair products equal a great old fashioned scent to me.

I absolutely do NOT consider any of the above "old man smell".Smile I find them all to be classic scents that bring back fantastic memories and scents that remain timeless and appropriate for all occasions.

I guess it's all subjective to a degree but I also have to add the smell of traditional Bazooka Bubble Gum to an "old fashioned barbershop smell" because when I was a child, the barber always gave me this after a haircut and I still associate this bubble gum smell with those haircuts. Biggrin

Eric

6 905
 04-23-2013, 03:59 AM
  • Teddyboy
  • Guilty, with an explanation
  • NYC
User Info
I agree with all your comments. I figure the old barbershop scent would be where the "old-fashioned" scent begins-but many still like it, eg, Mike's and MamA Bear's Ye Olde Barbershop, and I do as well. I guess when people talk about old-fashioned scents it is an automatic response to some childhood memory of how adults scented themselves at the time.

Personally I like many of the old scents. Some of the deep earthy scents (e.g., those favored by QCS) are less pleasant.

The good news is that scents are not that important to me in soaps or creams, just aftershave.

Thanks for listening.

1 739
 04-23-2013, 03:59 AM
User Info
Tabac... I decided one morning to have a Tabac shave! Tabac shave soap, splash and balm.
Got into the car with my wife and she promptly said:"What are you wearing? You smell like an 80yr old women in a Nursing Home"!
Guess we have an Old Lady scent!

5 410
 04-23-2013, 06:25 AM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
I also equate it with barbershop smells. Especially those that have a powder smell to them like Clubman or Skin Bracer.

45 3,955
 04-23-2013, 03:47 PM
User Info
To me an old fashioned scent is a traditionally scented Bay Rum, Shulton Old Spice, and Aqua Velva (does todays AV smell the same as it did 50 years ago?).

32 6,308
 04-24-2013, 02:09 PM
  • OldDog23
  • BeanTown MetroWest
User Info
Bay Rum and Clubman talc evoke those ol' time barbershop-y engrams for me.
one of our vendors, Wm. Neumann & Co., also makes aftershaves that "hail" from
the beginning of the last century. I long ago, stopped counting the compliments from the ladies, when I splash on Bay Rum before heading out.
Of course, I just ooze personal charm and they may have been hitting on me ! Biggrin

0 1,291
 04-24-2013, 02:53 PM
User Info
Powdery scents evoke old man to me.

9 2,988
 04-24-2013, 03:01 PM
  • Crag
  • Menifee, Ca 92586
User Info
WM Neumann makes an extremely Classic scent in both there 1911 and 1907 scents of which I prefer the latter. i do not consider them Old Manish, though...I like them and so does my wife.

To me Lilac Vegetal smells old Folkish....then again...I have used it to keep bears away from my smokehouse, so there you go...

68 1,416
 04-24-2013, 04:00 PM
  • Java
  • Warner Robins, Georgia, USA
User Info
I think a lot times it's just a pre-conceived idea that the name of the product evokes. Old Spice is an "old man smell". Brut is an "old man smell". I wonder if we took a bunch of younger guys and subjected them to half a dozen unmarked bottles of the stuff mentioned in this thread, and half a dozen unmarked bottles of various flavors of Axe, would they be able to tell which are which?

0 270
 04-24-2013, 05:14 PM
User Info
I use it, my father used it and my grandfather used it.

Pinaud Clubman

It does not get any more old man scent than this.

My wife, gets all excited when I shave and apply Pinaud Clubman and she uses the shower after me, she says the towel smells of Clubman from drying my hands and it reminds her of her father.

0 86
 04-24-2013, 10:20 PM
User Info
(04-24-2013, 04:00 PM)Java Wrote: I think a lot times it's just a pre-conceived idea that the name of the product evokes. Old Spice is an "old man smell". Brut is an "old man smell". I wonder if we took a bunch of younger guys and subjected them to half a dozen unmarked bottles of the stuff mentioned in this thread, and half a dozen unmarked bottles of various flavors of Axe, would they be able to tell which are which?

Axe smells like junk. Old Spice and Brut are a timeless classic.

Still an old man scent though. Biggrin I kid. But I don't wear either. Old Spice is trying to endear themselves to a younger generation though.

9 2,988
 04-25-2013, 04:59 AM
User Info
I buy my Old Spice from India as I don't like the new scent they sell here in the US

3 244
 04-26-2013, 03:24 AM
User Info
Tabac...

Tongue

0 189
 04-26-2013, 10:22 AM
  • Grumpy
  • DisneyLand
User Info
I guess Old Fashioned would be anything scent that is not currently hyped as hip.

Now ... Lilac Vegetal ... reminds me of Toilet Water. I got two bottles of the Stuff and my only wish was that it was a little stronger.

But, it still reminds me af Toilet Water.

Other than that ... I live for the Old Fashioned Scents.

But, I will buy just about anything that is reasonable.

Heck ... I might even buy some Hai Karate if I could find some.

1 819