04-23-2013, 09:22 AM
User Info
Is this topic somewhere else?
If so. Sorry Smile

What do you guys think about it? I think it's very stupid and lame! It will make what we do cost more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5 413
 04-23-2013, 09:31 AM
User Info
While I'm definitely not a fan of it I can't say that I'm not entirely surprised either. More and more commerce is being conducted electronically with the government missing out on their share. It was only a matter of time before they stopped the leak.

Edit: yes, I agree with Johnny below. A large vendor like amazon can deal with this much easier than our mom&pop vendors which most of us frequent for our various ADs.

31 7,912
 04-23-2013, 09:40 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
What brought all this about is the volume of business conducted each day through Amazon.com

I understand Amazon has no problem with this as the volume of business they do each day is staggering.

The problem I have is for small vendors. Can you just imagine the bookkeeping nightmare someone like Phil would have trying to collect and distribute city, county, and state taxes for all the different places he ships to.

There should be some kind of guideline/cut off point for this to happen. Say more than 50 employees and $10 million in sales annually.

173 23,501
 04-23-2013, 10:07 AM
User Info
(04-23-2013, 09:40 AM)Johnny Wrote: What brought all this about is the volume of business conducted each day through Amazon.com

I understand Amazon has no problem with this as the volume of business they do each day is staggering.

The problem I have is for small vendors. Can you just imagine the bookkeeping nightmare someone like Phil would have trying to collect and distribute city, county, and state taxes for all the different places he ships to.

There should be some kind of guideline/cut off point for this to happen. Say more than 50 employees and $10 million in sales annually.

That would make too much sense! Leave it to Washington to screw it up!!!

5 413
 04-23-2013, 10:10 AM
User Info
I'm a small operator. I won't do it. It'll shut my sales down. Heck, I don't retail inside Maine so that I don't need to get involved in Maine sales tax.

32 6,309
 04-23-2013, 10:21 AM
User Info
I'd be okay with it if it was a national tax that overrode all state sales taxes.

I'd actually prefer to be taxed based on gross sales at a much lower rate rather than have to mess around every quarter with income tax.

9 2,988
 04-23-2013, 10:24 AM
  • GreekGuy
  • Not saving money yet....
  • La Jolla, CA
User Info
According to yesterday's NYT's article, "Online retailers with out-of-state sales of less than $1 million a year would be exempt."

9 541
 04-23-2013, 10:27 AM
User Info
1 mill ain't that much really!! This country is in bad shape and little things like this will keep happening as we continue to slide.

5 413
 04-23-2013, 10:29 AM
User Info
(04-23-2013, 09:40 AM)Johnny Wrote: There should be some kind of guideline/cut off point for this to happen. Say more than 50 employees and $10 million in sales annually.

They do have a method for doing this: actually, the individual is supposed to pay the taxes on anything that would be subject to sales tax if purchased in-state, whether purchased in-state or out-of-state. Since its imposed on the individual, its not a sales tax, but a use tax. Most states have a separate form for doing so.

The issue with states imposing sales tax (i.e. "point of sale" taxes) isn't the headaches it causes the out-of-state vendor, but the enforcement. That's why they don't really care about it until the vendor opens up a physical location in-state (Amazon is opening up a physical presence in Massachusetts and therefore we will be subject to MA sales tax starting in November).

72 1,407