04-07-2012, 09:03 PM
User Info
When I came back to traditional wet shaving, it was really simple for me, I had a cheap brush and Proraso green. That was it. I stayed with that while I determined if this was a ritual which would stick. Then one day I was downtown and stopped in the Truefitt & Hill and picked up some No. 10.

After a couple months after that I went to an The Art of Shaving store out in Oakbrook IL and picked up a nice fine badger brush and their sandalwood line. A month or so later I picked up Ocean Kelp (the stores had it long before the website). And again, life was good.

Then I discovered Shaving forums (at that time just B&B) and ordered an iKon S3S and discovered Phil and bought some Musgo Real, Tabac, Speick, Trumper Limes, a couple more brushes, and other various sundries. Then I discovered Merz and Picked up some TOBS Eaton College. I then ordred Cella and MWF from Phil, another trip to MErz and I have I Coloniali.

So my question is this. I am mostly drawn now to I Coloniali (it is just mesmerizing), Cella and MWF. But I have a slew of creams in tubs and tubes. If I stopped buying soaps and creams right now, I would think I have a good 3 year supply. Considering I seem to now prefer the soaps to the creams, I imagine I will use soaps 5 out of the 7 days. This means my current supply of creams will last a very long time.

So the question is simple, is there a life span on most creams where they go bad once opened? I would think anything with tallow would have a life expectancy so I am curious if these things will last me of if I should PIF / sell a few creams that I know I will seldom use.

Thanks for any advice.

129 6,685
 04-07-2012, 09:06 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
My experience is that as long as they dont get much water,or are store on a super humid place (or really hot),they could last years and years.They will,eventually,get harder,like a shaving soap,but then you can use them like you would use a shaving soap.
Water is one of their enemies (if you leave a lot of water inside a tub it could make your cream go bad pretty quick) and also leaving them in hot places (enemy of creams with lanolin).

86 7,123
 04-07-2012, 10:54 PM
  • JaDo
  • Dallas, TX
User Info
I just recently started using a tub if T&H Grafton that I've had for two years. It seems just fine. Still moist and fragrant.

6 235
 04-08-2012, 02:16 PM
  • Leon
  • Porto, Portugal
User Info
All my stuff is more than 1 year old and they're doing a great job.

I don't have really old creams, but my oldest soaps are a Colgate with more than 50 y.o. and a Old Spice refill probably between 20 and 30 y.o.

4 313
 04-08-2012, 02:23 PM
User Info
i've heard the new NancyBoy is 6-9mos (per the site) and someone had one go bad a while back.

i wanted to (and did) place an order for a full size container, but in rotation, it would probably be in my den for 3y. Angry

8 2,718
 04-08-2012, 02:47 PM
User Info
(04-08-2012, 02:23 PM)brucered Wrote: i've heard the new NancyBoy is 6-9mos (per the site) and someone had one go bad a while back.

i wanted to (and did) place an order for a full size container, but in rotation, it would probably be in my den for 3y. Angry

I am working on a two year old tub of Nancy Boy, and it is starting to get a little stiff, but still very usable. If the new stuff does not make it past 9 months it would be best to buy their sample size tub, I think. I have 8 or 9 soaps/creams in rotation and can't finish anything in less than a couple years. NB Signature is one of my favorites I will never be without.

6 230
 04-09-2012, 01:26 PM
  • Brent
  • Columbus, OH
User Info
I can only speak from my limited experience but one of the first creams I picked up a year ago was Proraso (CO Bigelow via Bath and Body Works) and have probably 75% left and I see no difference.

Though, that's in a tube I do have TOBS Rose that's not that much older and can't tell much of a difference. That's my favorite cream so I use very sparingly (though I don't know why considering I can order more?).

0 353