04-24-2013, 12:59 PM
  • MikekiM
  • Long Island, NY
User Info
Looking at the Fromm Illinois 127 and 827... Can't seem to tell how they differ.

Both are 2.5" by 23" overall. Both have a canvas and leather strop. Both of Russian leather...price difference of about $10.

What's the difference?

Am I correct that Russian leather needs to be treated before use unlike bridle leather... Is that correct?

I need a decent strop but don't want to buy one I will outgrow in a few months.

Posted from somewhere east of Montauk

33 914
 04-24-2013, 03:24 PM
  • Hanzo
  • Oakland, California
User Info
I had the 127 some years ago and I didn't like it, it was stiff and cheap feeling.

The 827 I have not used but it has a much better reputation among straight users and it doesn't need treatment.

You might look on ebay under strops and see if you can find a vintage Illinois or other barber horsehide strop. Sometimes they are there in good to ok condition for about $25. Neatfoot oil and saddle soap to clean and condition will bring them back to life and you can buy both of them at Walmart in the shoe section.

15 541
 04-24-2013, 05:15 PM
  • MikekiM
  • Long Island, NY
User Info
Thanks very much... Not much on eBay last time I looked.

So the difference, though the vendors don't actually say it, is in the quality of the leather?

33 914
 04-24-2013, 05:46 PM
  • Hanzo
  • Oakland, California
User Info
(04-24-2013, 05:15 PM)MikekiM Wrote: Thanks very much... Not much on eBay last time I looked.

So the difference, though the vendors don't actually say it, is in the quality of the leather?

I can't pretend great knowledge of the 827, I think? the difference is not the leather itself but its treatment, the 127 is smooth, the 827 rough.

I would really suggest looking up comments on Straight Razor Place about the 827, veteran straight users give informed comment and will be helpful in making a final decision on your buy.

15 541
 04-25-2013, 03:41 AM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
Mike, the workmanship on the Illinois strops is far from impeccable, but they are still good strops for the money. The Illinois 127 and the 827 differ in the texture of the leather: the 127 has a smooth finish and the 827 textured. You will not go wrong with either. Of the two, I prefer the 127. It will take time to break it in, like any of the Illinois strops.

132 2,614