04-24-2013, 03:13 PM
User Info
Hi lads, Geordie Sam here,
I like wearing cufflinks, I think they finish off a quality suit perfectly.Most people on this forum I think take pride in how they look. (I know I certainly do)I'm 52 years of age, 6 ft tall, and I weigh 12 stone.(that's 168 pounds in your money)There is nothing better in my book than to go out for the evening looking the best you possibly can.
Tailored suit,(Charles Tyrwhitt) classic shoes,and a quality shirt(Charles Tyrwhitt, again)It makes you feel 10 feet tall.
And I certainly don't look or act 52.
Clothes DO make the man.
Geordie Sam.

0 79
 04-24-2013, 03:53 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Then I'm in sad shape Sam. I'm a blue jeans/t-shirt kind of guy.Smile

Last time I wore a suit was to my retirement dinner, October 31, 2005.

173 23,546
 04-24-2013, 04:06 PM
  • RobE
  • NY USA
User Info
(edit) modified my original comment, seemed out of place... I swear, sometimes I feel like a square peg in a round hole.
-----
As for cufflinks, always enjoyed them in a tux, but my daily routine never lent itself to that kind of elegance.

17 290
 04-24-2013, 04:27 PM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
Sam, I love French cuff shirts and have a few, along with more sets of cufflinks than I can count. Ironically, though, I wear the shirts, crisply starched, casually as open collar and with the cufflinks with a clean new or newish pair of black Levis 501s and dress loafers. I will wear that very often when I fly somewhere. It may not be sartorially correct but I feel just that little bit better when I do it.

2 11,211
 04-24-2013, 04:28 PM
User Info
I look perfectly fine in my casual wear.

I'd probably look more out of place here if I walked around in a suit.

I do like wearing my suits though. Wish I had more reasons to wear them.

Don't like ironing the shirts. Don't like paying someone else to do it either both for cost and because I don't trust them.

9 2,988
 04-24-2013, 05:41 PM
  • Arcadies
  • Greeneville, TN
User Info
Call me odd man out..or perhaps it's just being a backwoods southern fella but I have never owned nor worn a suit. Around here most formal occasions only call for a nice tucked in shirt and a nice pair of jeans or in extreme cases a tie and slacks.
I honestly hope I never have to wear a suit..they just look like they'd drive me nuts wearing one. I like loose clothing and I get hot and sweat like a pig very easily.Blush

31 1,510
 04-24-2013, 08:39 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
I like cufflinks and enjoy wearing a suit, however the opportunities to wear either are not as abundant for me as they once were.

91 17,852
 04-25-2013, 01:43 AM
User Info
(04-24-2013, 04:27 PM)freddy Wrote: Sam, I love French cuff shirts and have a few, along with more sets of cufflinks than I can count. Ironically, though, I wear the shirts, crisply starched, casually as open collar and with the cufflinks with a clean new or newish pair of black Levis 501s and dress loafers. I will wear that very often when I fly somewhere. It may not be sartorially correct but I feel just that little bit better when I do it.

Freddy,as you will be aware,with an open neck shirt a Turks head or Monkeys fist Silk Knot is the correct attire, but I just wear what takes my fancy at the time.Personally I think open neck shirts look fine with any type of link.Regarding your 501s, I hope you don't iron them,jeans should NEVER be ironed.
Sam.

0 79
 04-25-2013, 07:39 AM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
Nothing like cufflinks to round off looking good. I still have some original Swank cufflinks when I was a teenager.

100 12,445
 04-25-2013, 03:35 PM
User Info
(04-25-2013, 01:43 AM)geordie sam Wrote:
(04-24-2013, 04:27 PM)freddy Wrote: Sam, I love French cuff shirts and have a few, along with more sets of cufflinks than I can count. Ironically, though, I wear the shirts, crisply starched, casually as open collar and with the cufflinks with a clean new or newish pair of black Levis 501s and dress loafers. I will wear that very often when I fly somewhere. It may not be sartorially correct but I feel just that little bit better when I do it.

Freddy,as you will be aware,with an open neck shirt a Turks head or Monkeys fist Silk Knot is the correct attire, but I just wear what takes my fancy at the time.Personally I think open neck shirts look fine with any type of link.Regarding your 501s, I hope you don't iron them,jeans should NEVER be ironed.
Sam.

Well, it's okay to iron them after you shrink a raw pair to get the wrinkles out. But after that, I agree.

9 2,988
 04-25-2013, 05:50 PM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info

Sam.

Please tell me that was your idea of a joke Sam. A47 NEVER, EVER, EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!

2 11,211
 04-26-2013, 03:21 AM
User Info
(04-25-2013, 05:50 PM)freddy Wrote:

Sam.

Please tell me that was your idea of a joke Sam. A47 NEVER, EVER, EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!
Well Freddy, sometimes Americans can have a strange dress sense if JERRY SPRINGER is anything to go by, (I don't watch by the way.)
Sam.

0 79
 04-26-2013, 08:10 AM
  • Grumpy
  • DisneyLand
User Info
I can wear a suit to work but, I don't.

Most of the long sleeve shirts that I usually wore were buttoned.

Wore ties for a long time but, have not done so in a while but, I still wear long sleeve shirts (medium starch).

Now, a couple of years ago, I started to wear cufflinks and when I go out to buy a new shirt I go for french cuffs.

Cufflinks are a different story. I went on The Bay and bought several of them from the 1920s, 1930s and 1940s.

I prefer the older cufflinks to the more modern ones as they are unique and different.

I am thinking about breaking out my ties and wearing them again. Since I work in an office I can wear one every day.

I am 56 years old and I don't care what I look like.

When I am at work I have to dress conservative and on the weekends I can wear what I want.

So if I have to look conservative (because I am a Certified Public Accountant or for Geordie Sam ... A Chartered Accountant.) then, I am going to wear something that is different.

If I shave with a Straight or with a Safety Razor and use a Brush with soap or cream and then put on pre-shave, witchhazel, after-shave balm, after-shave lotion and finally talc ... then, I can dress snappy.

So while others may wear a long sleeve shirt with buttons, I will have the cuffs and look just a wee bit snappier.

Now ... getting dressed up in your Sunday Best was once the thing to do in the recent past. Going outside in a plain T-Shirt was considered unmannerly and uncouth. Wearing clothes with holes in them was considered slovenly and I am not talking about clothes with patches.

We have now made a lot of things "normal" that at one time were not. While progress is good and I am all for that, we have to understand that we pay a price for that progress.

How many men still open doors for women, how many open car doors, or help with a package, or tip your hat and say Good Morning or Good Evening.

While it may all seem quaint and we all may give it a little thought we should all understand that we are all slowly loosing our manners.

All of this from the simple wearing of long sleeves shirts, cufflinks, a coat and a tie.

Well sort of. Going out and wearing them once or twice a month is a special treat that we all should look forward to even if the shirts are too stiff and the coat is a bit scrachy.

And All Men should know how to tie a tie.

Or at least get a Western Tie, a Western Shirt, Levis/Wranglers and if you like a set of boots. As Western Wear is just about like wearing a Suit if it is done right.

1 819