04-25-2013, 02:12 AM
User Info
Hi lads, Geordie Sam here,
I have just recently planted some "taties" in containers in the Greenhouse, I have never grown "spuds" before in there, but last Summer was such a DISASTER here in the UK (I missed it, I was having a cup of tea) that this year I have decided to grow very few "toms" and have a go instead with the "taties". I have also just put in a couple of patio roses again in "decorative" containers by my lawns.How popular is gardening in the "states" over here we have a good few tv shows on it.
Sam.

0 79
 04-25-2013, 07:34 AM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
Hi Sam

Gardening, growing your own, etc is very popular over here...

Just like the UK there's currently a resurgence in growing your own fruit and veg (plus keeping chickens) here in the USA.

Farmer's Markets are also very popular, with more and more springing up every year...

Instead of allotments (UK), community gardens (USA) seem to play an important part in giving people access to growing their own, especially within cities.

One important thing I've learnt since moving here, gardening over here has it own set of challenges compared to the UK and the variation across this huge! country is a real eye opener (at least it is to this outsider) eg Here in St Louis the winters can be cold (for this soft South Londoner), easily getting down to -15°C (5°F), this year I think it got as low as -19°C (-2°F). Then summers get hot (far too hot this soft South Londoner) and very! dry, last year it topped out at 46°C (114°F) and we experienced 7 continuous weeks of temperatures above 32°C (90°F) with practically zero rainfall during that time...

(Local) University Extension Offices are a great resources to gardeners here, I'm constantly in contact with them, seeking their advice and guidance...

Take care, Mike

23 1,872
 04-25-2013, 08:51 AM
User Info
Good post Mike, thank you.
Sam.

0 79