04-25-2013, 07:23 AM
  • MikekiM
  • Long Island, NY
User Info
Is there a benefit to having the canvas and leather each have their own handle? I see some have separate canvas and leather strops, but they are joined top and bottom at the swivel and handle.

Is it better to have one piece in use while the other hangs free?

Posted from somewhere east of Montauk

33 914
 04-25-2013, 07:44 AM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
Mike, I prefer two separate components. For one thing, I can control the extent of taught pull for each component. Also, if cut, each component can be replaced. All that in addition to esthetics of a two-component hanging strop.

132 2,614
 04-25-2013, 09:29 AM
User Info
(04-25-2013, 07:44 AM)Obie Wrote: For one thing, I can control the extent of taught pull for each component.

this part's a huge advantage

0 72
 04-25-2013, 10:39 AM
User Info
You can also use both sides of the linen that's a good reason for having two separate components, leave one side untreated, and paste the other with chromium oxide.

Jamie.

5 1,805
 04-25-2013, 03:33 PM
User Info
One may shrink in time.

Poor work tolerances mean one part could be shorter.

Usually a sign of inferior quality.

Hard to control tautness in the shorter piece.

Inability to control tautness independent of each other.

Could probably think of a couple more. Basically, don't buy it.

9 2,988
 04-25-2013, 07:10 PM
User Info
Tell that to Kohl & Laibach, whom have managed to stay in business for nearly a century w/ their "inferior quality" strops..just because the bottom's conjoined does NOT mean the product can't be stellar, I've seen plenty of bottom-separate pieces that couldn't hold a candle in quality or tolerances to them. In their case, the tolerances are excellent, they just make the whole thing a bit slacker than I'd prefer, so that you can give the D-ring or handle a good tug and either side will become quite taught.

0 72
 04-25-2013, 11:09 PM
User Info
(04-25-2013, 07:10 PM)kwigibocity Wrote: Tell that to Kohl & Laibach, whom have managed to stay in business for nearly a century w/ their "inferior quality" strops..just because the bottom's conjoined does NOT mean the product can't be stellar, I've seen plenty of bottom-separate pieces that couldn't hold a candle in quality or tolerances to them. In their case, the tolerances are excellent, they just make the whole thing a bit slacker than I'd prefer, so that you can give the D-ring or handle a good tug and either side will become quite taught.

The prices on those strops is very good. So, I'm not surprised they're still in business.

Also, they probably make the Dovo strops and strops for other brands. So, again, not surprising.

Does not make the design superior.

9 2,988
 04-26-2013, 05:00 AM
User Info
You'll read no dogmatic declarations upon subjective matters from this poster...

The Dovo/etc. hides age 8yrs before slicing into strops. I could be wrong, but I believe they cannot practically shrink; personally I've worn through ~10x(by one 'brand' name or another) since first using in 1992 and have yet to see variance in the tension from one side to the other, this during time periods living in FL/CO/GA/NY, sometimes with the same strop in two places. The leather always 'shaves off' too thin over time. The little boot threads always wear out. But they've not changed size, and that enjoyable stropping in the interim doesn't count for nothing.

The tops are stitched together linen/leather in a little rectangle, but the bottom part's not stitched together, as on some other strops, instead the two parts both are stitched to one piece of leather which 'rounds the corner'. I find it all too easy to make either side in use tarpaulin-taut, but the threads at top ultimately pay the price for this sort of high tension. I've seen other strops where the prep side's stitched entirely to the leather and could imagine that's a severe limitation of the control of the tension of the prep side surface, but never having lived with such a strop...

Other issue for me in the Dovo/etc.'s favor's their size/weight; I can't live with a paddle on the road, and instead have used the same now-deceased 60mm-wide Dovo-specific model with some linen-like faux linen on rear as the travel strop going on almost a decade now. Weighs but 115g(vs ~370g for the 3x17" USA strops all-in), fits in my 'clamshell' canvas travel pack lining the inside outer perimeter, giving 6x40cm of leather...throw in a AV-professional-grade strap of Velcro & I've more than doubled the real estate of most paddle strops with less weight and especially volume to boot.

0 72
 04-26-2013, 09:56 AM
User Info
(04-26-2013, 05:00 AM)kwigibocity Wrote: The tops are stitched together linen/leather in a little rectangle, but the bottom part's not stitched together, as on some other strops, instead the two parts both are stitched to one piece of leather which 'rounds the corner'. I find it all too easy to make either side in use tarpaulin-taut, but the threads at top ultimately pay the price for this sort of high tension. I've seen other strops where the prep side's stitched entirely to the leather and could imagine that's a severe limitation of the control of the tension of the prep side surface, but never having lived with such a strop...

Okay, well, that construction is fine. Even if one side gets longer or shorter, the construction ensures both sides receive the same tension.

It's the ones that don't account for this that are bad.

9 2,988
 04-27-2013, 02:14 PM
  • matloffm
  • Culver City, CA
User Info
I have a Tony Miller vegan strop. I got it with a canvas (cotton) strop. I never had a problem with tension. The two strops are clamped together with hardware and are easy to take apart. I got him to make a linen strop which I switched for the cotton one. Then I got hardware from him and created a separate pasted strop. In terms of using and maintaining the pasted strop, I like the fact that it is one piece. It's a convenience that makes it easier to refresh with paste and to keep the paste off the other strops.

16 542