04-25-2013, 08:08 AM
User Info
I love the smell of bay rum. I've tried nearly every brand out there. However, there must be something in the stuff that doesn't like me, so I rarely wear it. 99% of the time when I try bay rum, my skin gets all red and irritated. So, I've just assumed I'm allergic to some central ingredient.

Has anyone else ever experienced this?

An alternate to bay rum that I frequently use is Number Six by Caswell Massey.

0 25
 04-25-2013, 08:46 AM
User Info
Have you tried Krampert's Finest Bay Rum? Focus on natural ingredients (and smells great!).

47 1,112
 04-25-2013, 09:06 AM
User Info
(04-25-2013, 08:08 AM)trwagner1 Wrote: I love the smell of bay rum. I've tried nearly every brand out there. However, there must be something in the stuff that doesn't like me, so I rarely wear it. 99% of the time when I try bay rum, my skin gets all red and irritated. So, I've just assumed I'm allergic to some central ingredient.

Has anyone else ever experienced this?

Hi trwagner1,

What david1201 said. Smile

I have really sensitive skin, so I'm carefully searching for products that work well for me. Krampert's Finest Bay Rum Acadian Spice works beautifully for me, with no irritation or reaction, and it leaves my face gentle and soft and moisturized.

If that doesn't work, I have a feeling you might want to check with your doctor and see if you're allergic to Bay Leaf perhaps?

Good luck!

3 270
 04-25-2013, 09:12 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
The only two Bay Rum's I can handle are Krampert's Finest and Captain's Choice. Both are excellent Bay Rum and neither irritate my face.

173 23,492
 04-25-2013, 11:35 AM
User Info
I am a huge fan of Krampert's Finest and I also really like Captain's Choice as well. How many different kinds of BR have you tried? And does it happen every time?

Does the irritation happen just with BR or with other splashes? And does it happen with balms? Obviously you want to isolate the irritant. If alcohol is a problem, Gilbert Henry makes a BR balm, so you might want to try that route as well.

72 1,407
 04-26-2013, 06:16 AM
User Info
I've tried various brands over the years.... Tiger, Burt Bees, Michelsen's, Ogallala, Trumper, and your regular inexpensive bay rums such as Pinaud.

Based on all of your generous suggestions here, ironically these are two I have NOT tried.

I will have to order some samples if they exist to try them out and let you all know the results.

Ted

(04-25-2013, 11:35 AM)jpakstis Wrote: I am a huge fan of Krampert's Finest and I also really like Captain's Choice as well. How many different kinds of BR have you tried? And does it happen every time?

Does the irritation happen just with BR or with other splashes? And does it happen with balms? Obviously you want to isolate the irritant. If alcohol is a problem, Gilbert Henry makes a BR balm, so you might want to try that route as well.

0 25
 04-26-2013, 07:59 AM
User Info
Are you allergic to Bay Rum Shaving Cream/Soaps?

0 91
 04-26-2013, 08:04 AM
User Info
You know, I haven't tried Bay Rum as a soap. I've also tried the Burt Bees shaving lotion long ago, had the same problem. But, I've not tried the shaving creams either.

So, I can't say that I am as I haven't tried those. Something to think about though I guess.

(04-26-2013, 07:59 AM)ChicagoShaving Wrote: Are you allergic to Bay Rum Shaving Cream/Soaps?

0 25
 04-26-2013, 04:15 PM
  • OldDog23
  • BeanTown MetroWest
User Info
there are certainly a couple of bay rums that I have used that do the reddening/drying thing to me as you have described.
the 2 mentioned above don't seem to ever get mentioned as causing drying or reddening.
haven't tried the KFBR yet, but I have none of these issues with CC.

one that DOES redden and dry, for me, is one from J' Adore. (has a TON of alcohol in it)

if I just use it to freshen up, and don't put it on right after shaving, it does okay for an occasional splash.

0 1,291
 04-29-2013, 07:30 AM
User Info
Thanks.

I did try some Bay Rum shaving soap over the weekend. This was from Kell's Original. Although I felt a good tingling similar to what I feel with Bay Rum colognes and AF's I had no issues with reddening or skin itching after.

I may try for some CC's here after a few other bottles of fragrances are emptied. I just don't have the room in my little corner of a shelf.

(04-26-2013, 04:15 PM)OldDog23 Wrote: there are certainly a couple of bay rums that I have used that do the reddening/drying thing to me as you have described.
the 2 mentioned above don't seem to ever get mentioned as causing drying or reddening.
haven't tried the KFBR yet, but I have none of these issues with CC.

one that DOES redden and dry, for me, is one from J' Adore. (has a TON of alcohol in it)

if I just use it to freshen up, and don't put it on right after shaving, it does okay for an occasional splash.

Actually, I think I'll try the sampler from CC my next paycheck that way I know for sure.

Ted

0 25
 04-29-2013, 07:47 AM
User Info
Never had that happen, though I do smell like ham after using bay rum. Which is not a bad thing.

0 759
 04-30-2013, 05:03 AM
User Info
LOL! So, where's the bacon aftershave or cologne?

Surely someone has made this.... bacon is everywhere. Bacon ice cream, bacon candy, deep fried bacon, bacon explosion, bacon bacon bacon!

(04-29-2013, 07:47 AM)EJaggerMan Wrote: Never had that happen, though I do smell like ham after using bay rum. Which is not a bad thing.

0 25
 05-03-2013, 06:41 AM
User Info
1 bottle of KFBR ordered this morning!

0 25
 05-03-2013, 07:07 PM
User Info
(05-03-2013, 06:41 AM)trwagner1 Wrote: 1 bottle of KFBR ordered this morning!

Hi trwagner1,

Nice! Smile I look forward to hearing your thoughts on it. Smile

3 270
 05-13-2013, 08:48 AM
User Info
I received my bottle of Krampert's Finest shortly after ordering it.

Here's the results so far... I've used it nightly after showering and shaving. This morning I showered and shaved and used it as well.

True to the description of the included information in the packaging, the bottle is vigorously shaken each time I use it. It does go on with a witch-hazel/alcohol smell but very quickly goes away!

I feel no burn, my skin doesn't redden in the slightest. Zero irritation what-so-ever. After the initial witch-hazel/alcohol smell goes away, there's a rich smell to KFBR. After applying it early this morning, about 7 hours ago now, the smell is faint, yet still there. My skin feels cool.

I'm a fan for sure. I was skeptical of the bottle at first, but after using it. It comes in a bottle for dispensing thicker liquids like lotions. But, after using it, it doesn't really matter. It comes out in a controlled manner with a squeeze of the bottle anyway, and it is nice that if I drop it, it won't shatter in the bathroom (that's happened before quite some time ago to a once beloved bottle of GFT sandalwood cologne that took forever to find all the little slivers of glass).

I have other BR samples on the way (thanks again Garry!) and will compare those as well.

So far, I'm sold on the product. I still much prefer a cologne. But, the KFBR is excellent when I shave at night. I feel refreshed and my wife loves BR anyway. Biggrin Then, in the morning, a splash of Burberry and I'm on my way!

0 25
 05-13-2013, 08:56 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I'm just about out of Krampert's so guess I better order a new bottle.

173 23,492
 05-13-2013, 12:14 PM
User Info
Glad you like it TRW!

BTW, the glass slivers in the bathroom is one of the reasons I chose plastic from day one; it was never even in question. I did have some complaints about the plastic, but I never explained the issue; I simply wasn't going to use glass. Shipping was a concern as well, but the glass slivers issue was high on the list since I used that bottle in my own bathroom for quite some time and glass never enters our bathroom. It works, so I haven't changed it. It's also part of why I wanted a metal bottle for the high end packaging; again no slivers. Glass wasn't even an option. It's more difficult to make a permanent label that works on both paper and SS, but IMO it's worth it to care about customers even if they don't see it for what it is. Of course it's couched in better for the product, and it is, but another spin off is no glass.

32 6,308
 05-17-2013, 10:08 AM
User Info
I like Stephan's bay rum. not expensive,ph balanced, smells great... no redness and irritation for me....so far.

0 189
 05-17-2013, 10:31 AM
User Info
I've been using KFBR almost daily after shaving. I alternate between some samples.

Here's my review so far... Captain's Choice BR.... I don't get any irritation, but I do get a bit of a burn on application. I find it's difficult to distinguish the differences in the fragrance between KFBR, CCBR and Master's.

I tried Masters. Similar to KFBR, no burn no irritation. But, it has an odd smell at first I can't identify. It's hard to explain. Reminds me of a musk cologne smell with a bit of garage/motor oil smell. I'm not saying that's bad, I just may need to shake more or there's something that's off in my schnoz.

I'm finding I like the bottle on KFBR simply because it's lighter and I don't have to worry about breakage.... Bay Rum is one I regularly shake, so a glass bottle slipping out of the hand isn't out of the ordinary.

Bay Rums in general, I like the fragrance and my wife and daughter like them. So, hard to tell the differences. I will say that KFBR has less of a "spicy edge" to the smell... a bit more mellow and more subtle.

Captain's Choice I still need to sample more of it from the sample bottles I received. I'm still sold on KFBR from an "all round" perspective... smell, skin care, no burn, no irritation.

0 25